Smith firmly planted in Hutchinson's corner

Doomsday101

Reaction score
LAKE FOREST, Ill. - Lovie Smith reiterated his support for Chad Hutchinson Monday, one day after the quarterback completed 20 of 35 passes for 114 yards and 1 TD in a 19-13 loss to the Detroit Lions.
"Every time I've been asked this question, I say the same thing," Smith said. "I like Chad Hutchinson an awful lot. I think he's a good football player. I think he's a competitor. He knows how to compete from start to finish."

After directing an offense that produced just 109 yards and eight first downs on nine possessions into the fourth quarter Sunday, Hutchinson capped a nine-play, 90-yard drive with a 15-yard TD pass to fullback Jason McKie that drew the Bears to within 19-13 with 7:04 left in the game.

On Chicago's next possession, Hutchinson threw an apparent 43-yard TD pass to Bernard Berrian that was disallowed by officials, who first ruled that the receiver was out of bounds, then claimed after a replay review that he had failed to control the ball while hitting the ground.

"It wouldn't be perfect with any quarterback playing," Smith said. "There are going to be some passes that you would like to have back. But I like him leading our team and I think that was a step for him. It was 16-0 and he led us back. I know we got a defensive touchdown, but the offense started moving at the end and put us in position to win with him leading us."

jay cee

Reaction score
You have to wait and see what he can do with all the pieces in place. And that includes gaining some experience to deal with the speed of the game.

I said after he was released that if he was put in the right situation, he could be a solid NFL QB. I still think that is true.

Now I know this is just an excuse to some who like to label people as apologists. But Hutchinson and Carter should have both spent at least a couple of seasons as number 3 qb's learning to run a team before being given a chance to EARN a starting job.

If the bears can put some quality receivers and O-linemen around Hutchinson and Thomas Jones next season, I think they could do pretty well.

Does anyone know how serious the injury was to their opening day qb? Is he supposed to be back to start next season? I believe it was Grossman, but I could be wrong.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
jay cee said:
You have to wait and see what he can do with all the pieces in place. And that includes gaining some experience to deal with the speed of the game.

I said after he was released that if he was put in the right situation, he could be a solid NFL QB. I still think that is true.

Now I know this is just an excuse to some who like to label people as apologists. But Hutchinson and Carter should have both spent at least a couple of seasons as number 3 qb's learning to run a team before being given a chance to EARN a starting job.

If the bears can put some quality receivers and O-linemen around Hutchinson and Thomas Jones next season, I think they could do pretty well.

Does anyone know how serious the injury was to their opening day qb? Is he supposed to be back to start next season? I believe it was Grossman, but I could be wrong.

I think Bears do think Grossman is their man. But would like Hutchinson to establish himself as atleast No. 2. Seems like he will be that.

Rex I think is better than Hutchinson, but Hutchinson might take this time and develop into a sollid QB but I dont think he would a QB that a franchise can hang their hat on ever. He reminds me of Kerry Collins really. Collins has the same fumble problems too.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jay cee said:

I agree Hutch should have been sitting instead of playing his rookie year, he was not ready. Gosh where have I heard that before? LOL As far as I'm concerned we screwed up tossing Hutch to the wolves and I'm glad we are not making that same mistake with Henson.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
jay cee said:

Chad Hutchinson will have Rex Grossman to compete with in camp. I think Rex Grossman will get back the starting gig in camp next season. Because he has similar arm strenght but also has some mobility and scrambling abilities.

Hopefully Chad can embrace a back-up position with the Bears and push Rex.
Grossman was the 22nd pick in the draft. Chad could possibly even win the gig if Rex falters. I don't think 22nd pick has a very huge cap hit.

jay cee

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
I think Bears do think Grossman is their man. But would like Hutchinson to establish himself as atleast No. 2. Seems like he will be that.

Rex I think is better than Hutchinson, but Hutchinson might take this time and develop into a sollid QB but I dont think he would a QB that a franchise can hang their hat on ever. He reminds me of Kerry Collins really. Collins has the same fumble problems too.

If I'm not mistaken the Bears started out doing pretty well on offense with Grossman. So I don't doubt that if healthy he will continue to start. But I don't rule out Hutchinson being able to do a good job if called upon. I think he needs more support than the really good qb's. But if given that support, I think he would surprise a lot of people.
Doomsday101 said:
I agree Hutch should have been sitting instead of playing his rookie year, he was not ready. Gosh where have I heard that before? LOL As far as I'm concerned we screwed up tossing Hutch to the wolves and I'm glad we are not making that same mistake with Henson.

So am I Dooms. I don't see why people want to pretend that the only way to know what Henson will be in the future is to play him right now. San Diego played Brees 3 years straight and still did not know what he would do this year.

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
And we all know what that is. He cannot "feel" pressure in the pocket. Yes, he has a strong arm and seems to make decent decisions on where he throws the ball. Plus he's pretty accurate which is extremely important.

But Chad has absolutely no clue when he is about to get hammered by a defender nor does he make the subtle moves (Tom Brady) to sidestep pressure, etc.

The result? Sack after sack, fumble after fumble. I firmly believe that had Chad improved his presence in the pocket, he would still be on the Cowboy roster today. As recent as Week 15 vs the Texans, Chad fumbled FOUR times and lost TWO of them. If he were ever able to overcome this flaw, he could be a good NFL QB in my opinion.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Waffle said:
And we all know what that is. He cannot "feel" pressure in the pocket. Yes, he has a strong arm and seems to make decent decisions on where he throws the ball. Plus he's pretty accurate which is extremely important.

But Chad has absolutely no clue when he is about to get hammered by a defender nor does he make the subtle moves (Tom Brady) to sidestep pressure, etc.

The result? Sack after sack, fumble after fumble. I firmly believe that had Chad improved his presence in the pocket, he would still be on the Cowboy roster today. As recent as Week 15 vs the Texans, Chad fumbled FOUR times and lost TWO of them. If he were ever able to overcome this flaw, he could be a good NFL QB in my opinion.
What shocked me the most about Chad was not his lack of pocket awareness but his inability to protect the ball when he gets hit.

Troy took some vicious hits early in his career when the rules weren't as protective of the QB but he always seemed to have that knack or sense to protect, cover and go down with the football. When Chad gets hit anything not attached to his uniform goes flying.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Waffle said:

I agree that is still the one area that Hutch has to show some major improvement on and if he doesn't he will be relegated to being a backup

jay cee

Reaction score
Charles said:
Chad Hutchinson will have Rex Grossman to compete with in camp. I think Rex Grossman will get back the starting gig in camp next season. Because he has similar arm strenght but also has some mobility and scrambling abilities.

Hopefully Chad can embrace a back-up position with the Bears and push Rex.
Grossman was the 22nd pick in the draft. Chad could possibly even win the gig if Rex falters. I don't think 22nd pick has a very huge cap hit.
Man for some reason I was thinking the Bears had used a top ten pick on their qb. I guess I was confusing them with the Bengals maybe.

That bodes well for Hutchinson. I don't think they will be forced to play Grossman because of the salary issue.

Of course that's all predicated on whether Hutchinson can really do the job. I still think he could be a solid starter, and excellent backup if given the opportunity.

And after being released by the Cowboys, and sitting on his butt for a few weeks, he had better not turn his nose up at a back up job.

jay cee

Reaction score
Charles said:
What shocked me the most about Chad was not his lack of pocket awareness but his inability to protect the ball when he gets hit.

Troy took some vicious hits early in his career when the rules weren't as protective of the QB but he always seemed to have that knack or sense to protect, cover and go down with the football. When Chad gets hit anything not attached to his uniform goes flying.
Now that's true. if you have a problem with fumbles, you better at least be able to produce big numbers.

Culpepper has his problems with fumbles, and Farve will sometimes throw interceptions in bunches, but they are so good that their teams have to live with it.

Nightshade

Reaction score
Waffle said:

That's why he needed to sit at least one, probably two years before he got thrown to the wolves. We are SSSSsoooo lucky to have Parcells. 'Cause if Jones had his way, yet another former baseball player would have struck out.

(sorry it was just hangin out there and for some reason there were no takers) :p

jay cee

Reaction score
Nightshade said:
That's why he needed to sit at least one, probably two years before he got thrown to the wolves. We are SSSSsoooo lucky to have Parcells. 'Cause if Jones had his way, yet another former baseball player would have struck out.

(sorry it was just hangin out there and for some reason there were no takers) :p
Hanging curveball down the middle of the plate, huh? ;)

twa

Reaction score
I am glad to see him get another chance,when he was here he did all he could it just wasn't enough.Although I would prefer he was starting for Buffalo :D

Reaction score
Hutch will easily become a better QB then Q ever will...Why? Because he can PASS!

The ability to get a feel for the pocket will come...with time played...At least he doesn't fumble when he isn't hit ala bong hit carter...