'SNL': The 15 Best Music Skits

PosterChild

Reaction score
belushi_l.jpg

JOHN BELUSHI AS JOE COCKER (1976)
Was John Belushi's scary-but-dead-on impression of Joe Cocker singing ''With a Little Help From My Friends,'' complete with spastic, jerky movements and howling vocals, a lampoon or an homage? Thirty years later, the jury is still out, but Belushi gets bonus points for nerve, since he did it on an episode where Cocker himself was the musical guest.

blues_l.jpg

THE BLUES BROTHERS (1978-80)
What began as an after-show jam session for the cast's own amusement became a sensation, as deadpan black-suited bluesmen Jake and Elwood Blues (John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd) performed reverent covers of the soul hits of the '60s. The sketch turned into a No. 1 album (backed by some of the musicians from the original hits) and a hit movie.

cowbell_l.jpg

MORE COWBELL (2000)
Supposedly an account of the recording of Blue Öyster Cult's hit ''Don't Fear the Reaper,'' the sketch made a catchphrase out of record producer Christopher Walken's repeated demands for ''more cowbell'' from overzealous percussionist Will Ferrell, over the objections of the rest of the band. ''Guess what?'' Walken finally says, ''I got a fever, and the only prescription...is more cowbell!''

There's obviously more at the link (hence the number '15' in the title) but these are my top 3.

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20156030,00.html

joseephuss

Reaction score
Good ones.

"Buh-Weet Sings" is also great and so are "Lazy Sunday" and "D--- in a Box".

Duane

Reaction score
lornem_l.jpg

LORNE MICHAELS OFFERS THE BEATLES $3,000 TO REUNITE ON SNL (1976)

Back when John Lennon was still alive, George Harrison was an occasional SNL guest, and Beatles fans still dreamed that the Fab Four could be persuaded to get back together, producer Lorne Michaels delivered this mock offer to the Fabs to reunite on the show. ''You divide it up any way you want,'' said the magnanimous Michaels. ''If you want to give less to Ringo, that's up to you.'' :laugh2:

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
haha, great list.

Another that could sorta be on that list that I like was Dana Carvey as the Church Lady, when he goes nuts on the drums. funny stuff.

joseephuss

Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan;1740263 said:
haha, great list.

Another that could sorta be on that list that I like was Dana Carvey as the Church Lady, when he goes nuts on the drums. funny stuff.

Or when he is singing the Chopping Brocoli song.

morieeel

Reaction score
I was suprised Eddie Murphy's James Brown imitation wasn't on there. "ITs Hot in the Hot Tub."

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
morieeel;1740339 said:
I was suprised Eddie Murphy's James Brown imitation wasn't on there. "ITs Hot in the Hot Tub."

That is a glaring omission. It's a classic.

I also liked the spoof of "Save the World" which was called "Save the Chickens" around 1992 or 93.

Oh, I see. Half the list consists of skits from the past 10 years (some of the worst years in SNL's existence). Who made this list? :puke:

morieeel

Reaction score
Mavs Man;1740553 said:

I also liked the spoof of "Save the World" which was called "Save the Chickens" around 1992 or 93.

Oh, I see. Half the list consists of skits from the past 10 years (some of the worst years in SNL's existence). Who made this list? :puke:

Rub-a-dub-dub-in the hot tub. Here's the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYv9vK7NagQ

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Mavs Man;1740553 said:

I agree....there are MANY MANY more better than d in a box.

MY favorite is the cowbell just because Will Farrell just goes for it and doesn't care if it's over the top. :laugh2:

But it's hard to beat Wayne's World and the Blues Brothers.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1740846 said:
I agree....there are MANY MANY more better than d in a box.

MY favorite is the cowbell just because Will Farrell just goes for it and doesn't care if it's over the top. :laugh2:

But it's hard to beat Wayne's World and the Blues Brothers.

Other than Lazy Sunday and Cowbell, I'd be hard pressed to put anything else since 2000 in the top 25, let alone the top 15.

Did Opera Man not count? The Dana Carvey "chopping broccoli" skit was good, too.