So far, this off-season has been a success

Woods

Reaction score
I know many wanted a new HC, but regardless, I think we are much better off now than we were end of December last year.

Let's look at what has happened:

1. B Read gone.

This is addition by subtraction. How many games did STs let us down? (Cards, Pitts at the very least) Wade even had to get involved to try and help Read out. We all knew our STs was poor, esp beginning of the season. And I think the consensus is that Read's replacement should be monumentally better as proven by his stints at Jacksonville and Atlanta.

2. Stewart gone.

Again, addition by subtraction. It was clear that Stewart was in over his head. After Wade had to basically take over the Defense the last half of last season, we all saw how much the Defense improved.

If we can replace Stewart with someone who can at least be an asset to Wade, we're definitely further head than we were last season.

3. PacMan and probably Tank gone.

This has a lot to do that neither player was an impact player or even a solid role player for the Cowboys last season. When you throw in all the potential distractions, esp with PacMan, we're moving in the right direction with team chemistry too.

I realize many people want a complete overhaul, a fresh start, etc. But the moves we're making so far make sense and should make us a better team next season. And we're only a few weeks into our off-season.

I think each of the three moves I mentioned above are steps in the right direction. As long as we continue making sound decisions and trying to change what went wrong with the team last season, we should be a more competitive team next season.

burmafrd

Reaction score
baby steps. And we still have to replace Stewart with someone good.

Woods

Reaction score
burmafrd;2584767 said:
baby steps. And we still have to replace Stewart with someone good.

I'm guessing the two of us may be the few who are awake this time in the day given where we are located. :laugh2:

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Woods;2584768 said:
I'm guessing the two of us may be the few who are awake this time in the day given where we are located. :laugh2:
Hawaii checking in as well.

I agree, BTW.

Woods

Reaction score
windward;2584769 said:
Hawaii checking in as well.

:D

I think I need to retire there. I can't take the weather here anymore.

hendog

Reaction score
Western North Carolina Mountains here ole chaps.

Nice thread. It's a start.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Checking in from Germany!!!

It's a great start, but at some point we need to add or get behind. We need a solid, veteran DC and a solid draft too, where we need to address NT, S, (backup) QB, G, MLB without moving up. The talent is there, can our scouts find it?

Cowboysfan22

Reaction score
I'm a canadian Prince Edward Islander checkin in here and I think we should move wade to deffensive coordinator and get Mike Shanahan as head coach. This would be the best possible scenario but probally won't happen.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Woods;2584765 said:
I know many wanted a new HC, but regardless, I think we are much better off now than we were end of December last year.

Let's look at what has happened:

1. B Read gone.

This is addition by subtraction. How many games did STs let us down? (Cards, Pitts at the very least) Wade even had to get involved to try and help Read out. We all knew our STs was poor, esp beginning of the season. And I think the consensus is that Read's replacement should be monumentally better as proven by his stints at Jacksonville and Atlanta.

2. Stewart gone.

Again, addition by subtraction. It was clear that Stewart was in over his head. After Wade had to basically take over the Defense the last half of last season, we all saw how much the Defense improved.

If we can replace Stewart with someone who can at least be an asset to Wade, we're definitely further head than we were last season.

3. PacMan and probably Tank gone.

This has a lot to do that neither player was an impact player or even a solid role player for the Cowboys last season. When you throw in all the potential distractions, esp with PacMan, we're moving in the right direction with team chemistry too.

I realize many people want a complete overhaul, a fresh start, etc. But the moves we're making so far make sense and should make us a better team next season. And we're only a few weeks into our off-season.

I think each of the three moves I mentioned above are steps in the right direction. As long as we continue making sound decisions and trying to change what went wrong with the team last season, we should be a more competitive team next season.
On Read, I would once again say this: the guys on Michael Irvin's show said that during TC, Bruce Read would implore players to make an effort, and he was ignored. The players wouldn't run, wouldn't hit, wouldn't even try.

What difference does it make who the ST coach is in that type of environment? We saw that repeatedly during the season (such as Mike Jenkins sidling out of the way of contact on a KR).

Changing a few assistants will make little difference. The entire culture of the lockerroom needs to be changed.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Meh, these are the sacrificial lambs I knew would be offered up to the Public after the Season was over.

The larger problems with this team still remain, imo.

brickman

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;2584821 said:
Meh, these are the sacrificial lambs I knew would be offered up to the Public after the Season was over.

I think you've hit the nail right on the head!!!!!!!! :bow: :bang2:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maikeru-sama;2584821 said:

Unfortunately the sad truth is that you are correct.