So how happy are Ware, Witten, R Williams, Romo, and Henson?

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
What I'm getting at is......

Ware can stay on the weak side and rush from the blind side of the QB. He can focus on attack and not so much on stuffing the run since the BIG Carpenter will be his partner on the strong side for a long time.

Witten can now focus more on catching the ball with the bigger Jersey Boy opposite him now. Plus Hannam is the backup blocker replacing the ailing Dan Campbell. So Witten is less likely to have to move around, play extra olineman, or half-back/pseudo fullback. He can concentrate on those passing routes.

Roy Williams finally has a young guy on the team that is considered a TRUE prototype for FREE SAFETY. A "Center Fielder". Tall, longarmed with "Great Range". I highly doubt Roy will be downfield covering Santana Moss on long bombs when we have this pretty fast, long armed tower of a center fielder to bat the long passes away! While the rookie might not be ready right away, Marcus Coleman knows what to do. Roy, welcome back to killing RB's, attacking QBs, and scaring the hell outta TE/WR's going on short to mid routes.

Romo and Henson don't have a draft pick to compete with. Their roster spots are pretty set. More time to develop. Henson might have saved his spot or at least reduced the potential competition due to a strong NFL Europe attitude and play to this point. I doubt a veteran is brought in to backup Drew. Shows some feeling in org that Romo and Henson still have upside.

Guys that need to continue to be nervous about their futures (which is a good thing) include: Ellis (season by season until more prototypical young DE's are ready), Singleton (he is nearing end of career and is solid mentor/backup though), Burnett (3 injuries last year including late ACL, he should take this as healing opportunity and still has potential at a few spots in our LB Corps), Kalen Thornton (better get healthy and stay healthy as the roster spots are getting competitive), Pile (probably odd man out at safety), Barriault (spelling?, he might get another year on Practice Squad, great upside and instincts, hey maybe he can stay SS/Special teams).

I'm really excited about the depth and competition at lots of positions. I'm more excited that the first 3 guys I list in thread title can focus on their strengths because they have very complimentary players playing besides them. This makes not only the new guys slotted in potentially better/younger/more talented, it also improves the play of Ware, Witten, and Williams.

Might be a season where already established players have better years because of other players added allowing them to be themselves. Heck, Terry Glenn will probably be single covered almost all the time, same with Witten, with TO on board. How much is that gonna help those two guys as weapons.

RB's should be happy too, no new competition and lots of weapons to focus on at WR and TE.

Larry

fortdick

Reaction score
Very good assesment. I think that Henson has opened some eyes with a solid, if not spectacular, season in Europe. He shows all the skills to be a quality NFL QB. If Watkins can fill the FS spot, then it will be a big improvement.

pancakeman

Reaction score
Great post. Ware, Witten, and Williams are three of the most exciting talents on the team. To think of the draft picks not just adding new talent, but unleashing our existing talent, is a great insight.

royhitshard

Reaction score
LarryCanadian said:

Ware can stay on the weak side and rush from the blind side of the QB. He can focus on attack and not so much on stuffing the run since the BIG Carpenter will be his partner on the strong side for a long time.

Witten can now focus more on catching the ball with the bigger Jersey Boy opposite him now. Plus Hannam is the backup blocker replacing the ailing Dan Campbell. So Witten is less likely to have to move around, play extra olineman, or half-back/pseudo fullback. He can concentrate on those passing routes.

Roy Williams finally has a young guy on the team that is considered a TRUE prototype for FREE SAFETY. A "Center Fielder". Tall, longarmed with "Great Range". I highly doubt Roy will be downfield covering Santana Moss on long bombs when we have this pretty fast, long armed tower of a center fielder to bat the long passes away! While the rookie might not be ready right away, Marcus Coleman knows what to do. Roy, welcome back to killing RB's, attacking QBs, and scaring the hell outta TE/WR's going on short to mid routes.

Romo and Henson don't have a draft pick to compete with. Their roster spots are pretty set. More time to develop. Henson might have saved his spot or at least reduced the potential competition due to a strong NFL Europe attitude and play to this point. I doubt a veteran is brought in to backup Drew. Shows some feeling in org that Romo and Henson still have upside.

Guys that need to continue to be nervous about their futures (which is a good thing) include: Ellis (season by season until more prototypical young DE's are ready), Singleton (he is nearing end of career and is solid mentor/backup though), Burnett (3 injuries last year including late ACL, he should take this as healing opportunity and still has potential at a few spots in our LB Corps), Kalen Thornton (better get healthy and stay healthy as the roster spots are getting competitive), Pile (probably odd man out at safety), Barriault (spelling?, he might get another year on Practice Squad, great upside and instincts, hey maybe he can stay SS/Special teams).

I'm really excited about the depth and competition at lots of positions. I'm more excited that the first 3 guys I list in thread title can focus on their strengths because they have very complimentary players playing besides them. This makes not only the new guys slotted in potentially better/younger/more talented, it also improves the play of Ware, Witten, and Williams.

Might be a season where already established players have better years because of other players added allowing them to be themselves. Heck, Terry Glenn will probably be single covered almost all the time, same with Witten, with TO on board. How much is that gonna help those two guys as weapons.

RB's should be happy too, no new competition and lots of weapons to focus on at WR and TE.

Larry
Excellent post!!!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Don't forget Colombo and Petitti. They're not competing with 2nd/3rd rounders for backup spots.

dwmyers

Reaction score
LarryCanadian said:

If Ware decides he can become Ekuban lite, then people will run at him all day long. Wouldn't take much. Just let him rush on the outside, nail him with a pulling right guard and run the play into the spot Ware vacated.

Carpenter is not an excuse for Ware to become a one dimensional player. He needs to be able to defend run and pass.

David.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
dwmyers said:
If Ware decides he can become Ekuban lite, then people will run at him all day long. Wouldn't take much. Just let him rush on the outside, nail him with a pulling right guard and run the play into the spot Ware vacated.

Carpenter is not an excuse for Ware to become a one dimensional player. He needs to be able to defend run and pass.

David.

Ekuban had only one move, and could be easily stoned. Ware even during his rookie year, took on OT and drove them back. If you can look at Philly first game and sack of McNabb. He pushed the LT back into McNabb pretty much to get the sack.

Its just that Ware other moves have to be much better to consistantly get more sacks. I think thats what Ware is probably working on.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
dwmyers said:

David.

Took the words out of my mouth. Ware had some problems when they ran at him last year. I want him to be a superb pass rusher, but this guy has the ability to be a truly special all around guy. I think he needs to focus on everything.

And I think he will, which is really exciting.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Ekuban had only one move, and could be easily stoned. Ware even during his rookie year, took on OT and drove them back. If you can look at Philly first game and sack of McNabb. He pushed the LT back into McNabb pretty much to get the sack.

Its just that Ware other moves have to be much better to consistantly get more sacks. I think thats what Ware is probably working on.

This also is true - for all the moves he was touted to have in preseason, he bull rushed way to often.

That being said - he did it successfully quite often, and showed the raw physical skill you need. So his game, as far as passrushing, really depends on his ability to learn his technique better, which I don't foresee as a problem.

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
Of Course I don't want Ware to be "one dimensional" and to forget about the run. I never said that. What I like is that he stays on the traditionally more vulnerable side of the QB and isn't required to move over to the "Strong" side position.

What if we had drafted that Lawson guy. Rumor was he is mostly a weak side rusher and that would have made Ware likely move over to weak side. Well Ware has reportedly added 10 lbs of muscle/beef which is great, but wouldn't you rather him be good at stopping run and excell at sacking qb's rather than being somewhat out of position as a weak side guy? That was my point.

It's the same thing with Roy Williams. No fan of the Cowboys WANTS Williams to be plain average in pass coverage, BUT most people would agree that his natural talent and his size/aggression/style are more suited to be around the line of scrimmage.

Good players around you AND having people in the right position makes everyone play that little bit better. And in the NFL today, those little extras where you are better mean a HUGE amount.

Larry

jay cee

Reaction score
LarryCanadian said:
Of Course I don't want Ware to be "one dimensional" and to forget about the run. I never said that. What I like is that he stays on the traditionally more vulnerable side of the QB and isn't required to move over to the "Strong" side position.

What if we had drafted that Lawson guy. Rumor was he is mostly a weak side rusher and that would have made Ware likely move over to weak side. Well Ware has reportedly added 10 lbs of muscle/beef which is great, but wouldn't you rather him be good at stopping run and excell at sacking qb's rather than being somewhat out of position as a weak side guy? That was my point.

It's the same thing with Roy Williams. No fan of the Cowboys WANTS Williams to be plain average in pass coverage, BUT most people would agree that his natural talent and his size/aggression/style are more suited to be around the line of scrimmage.

Good players around you AND having people in the right position makes everyone play that little bit better. And in the NFL today, those little extras where you are better mean a HUGE amount.

Larry
great post larry i agree totally with your premise.

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
LarryCanadian said:

Larry

Isn't Carpenter going to be playing strong side OLB?

RiggoForever

Benched
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
Took the words out of my mouth. Ware had some problems when they ran at him last year. I want him to be a superb pass rusher, but this guy has the ability to be a truly special all around guy. I think he needs to focus on everything.

And I think he will, which is really exciting.

I think thats standard strategy (running at the fastest DL/LB) until he makes teams adjust with his play.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Great post! And all without the mention of a certain somebody. cough TO cough