So if the CBA doesnt...

rojan

Reaction score
get done by March 3rd, does it mean that it will never get done????? Cant they do it next year before March 3rd so we dont have a uncapped year?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
The "deadline" that everyone is talking about is a false deadline in terms of consequence for fans. The deal could be done in June, September...whenever.

The big push or "deadline" dealt with Free Agency for this off season. Without an extension of the CBA, several triggers as far as length of contract, bonus proration, etc. must be factored in.

The main thing the deadline does is sets the salary cap for '06. A new CBA had a projected cap in the vicinity of $105-110 million. If a deal is not struck, the cap will be around $95 million. Major difference for cap-strapped teams.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Gene Upshaw said that if free agency ends this year, the NFLPA would vote to never allow it to be reinstalled.Then it becomes like baseball. Dont know if hes still postureing or what.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
kiheikiwi said:
Gene Upshaw said that if free agency ends this year, the NFLPA would vote to never allow it to be reinstalled.Then it becomes like baseball. Dont know if hes still postureing or what.

I haven't read the exact quote, but that would be an absolutely assinine position for the union to take. If he said it about the salary cap I could understand, but free agency?

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
StanleySpadowski said:
I haven't read the exact quote, but that would be an absolutely assinine position for the union to take. If he said it about the salary cap I could understand, but free agency?

Yep, Salary Cap. Not free agency.Sorry, guess I should proof read when I'm done.

maxsports

Reaction score

I have never paid much attention to Upshaw, but now that I am he is a jerk. The Players need to get someone much better to represent them. From what I understand, the Players Union would never vote a for a cap again, but they would for free agency. But, free agency would be much different then it is today.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Did I hear something........ Yes I did it is TO's chances of getting a big contract going down the toilet.

VACowboy

Reaction score
If the players vote to end the salary cap they are voting to devastate their own livelyhood. The league will lose millions of fans if it turns into baseball, and fans ultimately pay the bills. It may take a few years, but the game will wither, and so will the money.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
maxsports said:
I have never paid much attention to Upshaw, but now that I am he is a jerk. The Players need to get someone much better to represent them. From what I understand, the Players Union would never vote a for a cap again, but they would for free agency. But, free agency would be much different then it is today.

I really think that Upshaw's a rube. The NFLPA needs to be careful what they wish for. The NFL without the cap may sound great to the players on the outset, but it's a world that could turn scary on them in a heartbeat.

The MLBPA loves not having a cap but they also have guaranteed contracts, the NFLPA doesn't at the present time. How many times have we seen players get ridiculous amounts of money for a year or two longer than they should because the cap hit for keeping them is less than the hit for cutting them?.

Imagine a player who gets injured. Without a cap, the next time Vick breaks a leg he could be canned and the Falcons wouldn't have to worry about eating the cap hit that his huge signing bonus normally causes.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Does this now mean that Allen restructures his contract, because there wont be big money for him elsewhere. Hope so.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
dmq said:
Did I hear something........ Yes I did it is TO's chances of getting a big contract going down the toilet.

See my previous post. No cap would be a boon for Owens. A team could sign him and the second he acts up they could cut him without worrying about the cap ramification.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
The owners are threatening a lockout in 2007 to force the nflpa to accept the new deal with a cap. The owners will always demand the cap.