So, Phillips doesn't coach a "traditional two-gap 3-4"...

parchy

Reaction score
It's apparently called the "Phillips 3-4."

And I quote from his interview with Mickey: "We're going to pressure the quarterback."

I don't know X's and O's differences, but its more aggressive. Gotta say, a smile stretched across my face when I first heard it.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
He may run stunts? Send the DE through the B gap, rush a LB through the C..? I dunno.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
VACowboy;1368653 said:
What DOES he coach?

He slants the linemen like in a 4-3 instead of the 3-4 two-gap, giving them an edge on the offense, and he moves his linebackers around and disguises which ones will rush the passer or where the pass rush will come from.

Reaction score
parchy;1368674 said:
It's apparently called the "Phillips 3-4."

And I quote from his interview with Mickey: "We're going to pressure the quarterback."

I don't know X's and O's differences, but its more aggressive. Gotta say, a smile stretched across my face when I first heard it.

Yeah I was happy to hear that come out of his mouth, Parcells should take notes....

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
gimmesix;1368713 said:
He slants the linemen like in a 4-3 instead of the 3-4 two-gap, giving them an edge on the offense, and he moves his linebackers around and disguises which ones will rush the passer or where the pass rush will come from.
With Phillips, I fully expect Ware to dominate as a pass rusher. He moved Merriman all over to create opportunities for him to get to the passer--something which Zimmer did not do very often.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Yeah, Wade said that he slants his guys that gives them a better opportunity to rush the passer. He also runs stunts and zone blitzes. Greg Ellis pointed out that it looks on film that the DEs have a specific spot to rush to on different plays. I assume to push the pocket so that the LBs have an easier angle to the qb.

burntricersx

Reaction score
gimmesix;1368713 said:

Call me stupid if I'm wrong but isn't that the whole point of the 3-4 defense and why we went to it? To disguise where the rush was come from?

Reaction score
burntricersx;1368732 said:
Call me stupid if I'm wrong but isn't that the whole point of the 3-4 defense and why we went to it? To disguise where the rush was come from?

Yeah and it almost worked at the beginning of the season. But then Ellis got hurt....And then there was no more disguising where it was coming from. Everyone knew.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, but we were never very aggressive with the 3-4. Within the scheme, you must generate pressure with your linebackers and we never seemed to have enough confidence in them to do just that. Very frustrating.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score

yes in a nutshell.

But parcells plays it because of the personnel changes on offense.

Parcells always said, but no one ever talked about it here that the main reason he played the 3-4 two gap read and react defense was that it gives the defense the ability to drop 8 men into coverage at any time. The 4-3 does not allow that.

that was his main reason. Obviously the ability to disguise the 4th rusher and have players athletic and strong enough outside to play the run and walk out and cover the slot receiver not requiring the defense to have to substitute.

If you watch old giants games, or the americas game 1986 giants episode...you will see LT playing just like ware...out covering wr and running down the field...

It just didnt work down the stretch here.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Well, whatever it is, hopefully he is smart enough to vary the rushers with inside linebackers, instead of that stupid d*** safety blitz we ran into the ground last year.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Hadn't read the article posted til after my above post.

cleverusername;1368743 said:
* They aren't the most blitz-happy team that I've seen; it wasn't like every play was a bring-the-house blitz. But they sent odd combinations of people from different areas, giving the offenses unfamiliar choices about who to block during a play. It wasn't the number of people they sent, but the different angles the pressure came from.

I have been begging for this for months and months. The biggest strength of the 3-4 is being able to send people from different areas at different angles, use that advantage. You don't have to throw the kitchen sink to be effective.

cleverusername;1368743 said:
* Parcells always preached about wasted energy in between plays, he hated to do things that would cause his players to expend excess energy between snaps. The San Diego defense was constantly in motion, guys were moving everywhere pre-snap.

This is very telling, and interesting since it is the total opposite in philosophy. Would you rather spend energy before the play to confuse the enemy, or save your energy til the battle itself. Confusing people is so much funner, lol.

jrumann59

Reaction score
NOw that we have Phillips the Ware V. Merriman arguements will have more credence, yippee:war:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Here's one breakdown of how frequently San Diego blitzed compared to how often we blitzed last season --

THREE DEFENDERS ON THE LINE
Dallas -- 31 plays, 5 blitzes (16.1 percent)
San Diego -- 15 plays, 9 blitzes (60 percent)

FOUR DEFENDERS ON THE LINE
Dallas -- 405 plays, 45 blitzes (11.1 percent)
San Diego -- 379 plays, 79 blitzes (20.8 percent)

FIVE DEFENDERS ON THE LINE
Dallas -- 402 plays, 90 blitzes (22.4 percent)
San Diego -- 525 plays, 218 blitzes (41.5 percent)

SIX DEFENDERS ON THE LINE
Dallas -- 95 plays, 42 blitzes (44.2 percent)
San Diego -- 56 plays, 42 blitzes (75 percent)

SEVEN DEFENDERS ON THE LINE
Dallas -- 22 plays, 3 blitzes (13.6 percent)
San Diego -- 6 blays, 6 blitzes (100 percent)

EIGHT DEFENDERS ON THE LINE
Dallas -- 17 plays, 2 blitzes (11.8 percent)
San Diego -- no plays

-----------------------------------------------

TOTAL
Dallas -- 972 plays, 187 blitzes (19.2 percent)
San Diego -- 981 plays, 354 blitzes (36.1 percent)

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1368819 said:
Here's one breakdown of how frequently San Diego blitzed compared to how often we blitzed last season --

THREE DEFENDERS ON THE LINE
Dallas -- 31 plays, 5 blitzes (16.1 percent)
San Diego -- 15 plays, 9 blitzes (60 percent)

FOUR DEFENDERS ON THE LINE
Dallas -- 405 plays, 45 blitzes (11.1 percent)
San Diego -- 379 plays, 79 blitzes (20.8 percent)

FIVE DEFENDERS ON THE LINE
Dallas -- 402 plays, 90 blitzes (22.4 percent)
San Diego -- 525 plays, 218 blitzes (41.5 percent)

SIX DEFENDERS ON THE LINE
Dallas -- 95 plays, 42 blitzes (44.2 percent)
San Diego -- 56 plays, 42 blitzes (75 percent)

SEVEN DEFENDERS ON THE LINE
Dallas -- 22 plays, 3 blitzes (13.6 percent)
San Diego -- 6 blays, 6 blitzes (100 percent)

EIGHT DEFENDERS ON THE LINE
Dallas -- 17 plays, 2 blitzes (11.8 percent)
San Diego -- no plays

-----------------------------------------------

TOTAL
Dallas -- 972 plays, 187 blitzes (19.2 percent)
San Diego -- 981 plays, 354 blitzes (36.1 percent)

Great stats, what is important to me is how you blitz though. Are you bringing the same guys time after time cause "you are just better". Or can you be better, and still take them by suprise. This unpredictability wasn't in Dallas last year, and hopefully we have it now.

We have to make our team of panzies aggressive by scheme.

jrumann59

Reaction score
A quick glance at those stats look at the 8 on th LOS numbers and look at all the numbers for traditional fronts like the 4 to 6 men on the line stats. It is a very telling number most likely not a lot of gimmick defense there.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I listened to M. Spears yesterday right after the PC when Wade was announced, on the afternoon blitz on sirius radio,,, I am telling you, spears was "giddy" over Wade. He said, Wade brings the style of Defense he wanted to play here,, espeically the one gap 3-4. Spears that last year, playing the 2 gap, he was not allowed to make plays,, the whole purpose of him being on the feild was to occupy 2 lineman, every play and let the LB roam free. He also said, that last yea, the players were asking to be more aggressive but BP wanted to stay in his basic package and the players were "lulled to sleep" and stagnet with it.

So basically, a one gap D, means that the DE basically just attack the LOS with only one responsibility instead of 2. Spears said he is a playmaker and he was not used properly in the 2 gap D,, his final words were,, " good things are coming now".. we will see.