News: Some Chiefs fans who attended bitter cold playoff game now require amputations: hospital

triplets_93

Reaction score
https://fox8.com/news/some-chiefs-f...layoff-game-now-require-amputations-hospital/

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (WDAF) — Multiple people who experienced frostbite while attending a bitter cold Kansas City Chiefs playoff game in January may require amputations, a hospital official told Nexstar’s WDAF this week.

Garcia told WDAF in January she had seen dozens of frostbite patients as the state saw multiple days of frigid cold temperatures. Many of those were Chiefs fans who attended the playoff game against the Dolphins.

“The patients who had their frostbite injuries along with the Chiefs game, they are just getting to the point now we are starting to discuss their amputations that might be necessary,” Garcia said Tuesday, explaining that 70% of the patients referred for frostbite injuries suffered earlier this year are now being advised to schedule amputations.

The estimated 30% lucky enough to avoid amputation after undergoing treatment the past few weeks in hyperbaric oxygen tanks will have plenty of reminders of their frostbite injuries.

“It’s still a lifelong process. They’ll have sensitivity and pain for the rest of their lives and always will be more susceptible to frostbite in the future. So we are also educating them to make sure they stay warm for the years and months to come,” Garcia said.

1942willys

Reaction score
https://fox8.com/news/some-chiefs-f...layoff-game-now-require-amputations-hospital/

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (WDAF) — Multiple people who experienced frostbite while attending a bitter cold Kansas City Chiefs playoff game in January may require amputations, a hospital official told Nexstar’s WDAF this week.

Garcia told WDAF in January she had seen dozens of frostbite patients as the state saw multiple days of frigid cold temperatures. Many of those were Chiefs fans who attended the playoff game against the Dolphins.

“The patients who had their frostbite injuries along with the Chiefs game, they are just getting to the point now we are starting to discuss their amputations that might be necessary,” Garcia said Tuesday, explaining that 70% of the patients referred for frostbite injuries suffered earlier this year are now being advised to schedule amputations.

The estimated 30% lucky enough to avoid amputation after undergoing treatment the past few weeks in hyperbaric oxygen tanks will have plenty of reminders of their frostbite injuries.

“It’s still a lifelong process. They’ll have sensitivity and pain for the rest of their lives and always will be more susceptible to frostbite in the future. So we are also educating them to make sure they stay warm for the years and months to come,” Garcia said.
so HOW many are we talking about? I notice there are no numbers given. Are we talking a dozen or so or a hundred or what?

1942willys

Reaction score
by the way I see no reason to act like anyone else but them are too blame. They CHOSE to go there.

NOW if any of these are children or under age, then the parents needed to be charged with child neglect/abuse.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

Many of us said this was going to happen. Too much alcohol and machismo leads to extreme stupidity.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Just no way I would have went to that game. I hate the cold I'm too much of a chicken ****.

1942willys

Reaction score
Just no way I would have went to that game. I hate the cold I'm too much of a chicken ****.
Like I said fanatic. When the weather is actually dangerous for your health, going to a game is just plain stupid.

Flamma

Reaction score
by the way I see no reason to act like anyone else but them are too blame. They CHOSE to go there.

NOW if any of these are children or under age, then the parents needed to be charged with child neglect/abuse.
It's absolutely 100% their fault. Not so much for going to the game, but staying there when they realized they weren't properly protected. But they chose to tough it out.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I'm a hunter and have stayed out in things I shouldn't have. It's part of hunting. (I have also said enough is enough & gotten inside)

On the other hand, I can't even imagine making the decision to go into those conditions just to watch a football game.

Honestly, the game should have been postponed for everyone's safety.

Aven8

Reaction score
How did the players not experience any of this with barely any clothes on?

1942willys

Reaction score
It's absolutely 100% their fault. Not so much for going to the game, but staying there when they realized they weren't properly protected. But they chose to tough it out.
supposedly a free country and they had a choice to go; an open stadium. No way to protect anyone from the weather.
Personally I think that if they will delay or postpone games because of bad storms and so on then when the weather is THIS bad at an open stadium they should postpone
BUT in the end its on them COMPLETELY to be THAT stupid
STUPIDITY should come with a price

Flamma

Reaction score
supposedly a free country and they had a choice to go; an open stadium. No way to protect anyone from the weather.
Personally I think that if they will delay or postpone games because of bad storms and so on then when the weather is THIS bad at an open stadium they should postpone
BUT in the end its on them COMPLETELY to be THAT stupid
STUPIDITY should come with a price
It's 100% on the person. I've played in super stupid cold games just for the fun of it. I've been to events that were super cold. It's up to you to take care of yourself. I've worked road maintenance in -10 degree weather. You have to dress for your conditions. Never did I ever risk my extremities for anything.