CFZ Some FAs who should be on Cowboys Radar for 2023

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is as clear as a sunny day- teams that are wisely aggressive in trying to improve their roster in both the draft AND free agency are the teams competing for championships. If the Cowboys actually plan on going “all in” on trying to win, Stephen Jones must stop with his constant droning on about “staying under the cap”.

Speaking of the cap, one of the absolutes that must happen to allow us to be more aggressive is to let go of the dead weight this team carries. Tyron Smith has to go. Love the guy but you can’t pay a player who plays part time the millions we pay him. And no, he does not have trade value because he’s missed 44 games in 6 yrs. Zeke has to go too. Parting ways with those two alone saves $20 mil of cap space. And there will be some other space gained too by letting Dalton Schultz walk.

So in addition to hope for another excellent draft, here are some FAs I would be looking at who may not be household names but worth a look to bring improvement to several areas:
  • DI Dre’Mont Jones- 26- a 3rd round pick in 2019 in Denver, Jones is an excellent interior defender against the run and pass.Had career highs in pressures and sacks.
  • DI Daron Payne- 26. A run stuffing interior monster who may be too costly. A former first round pick in Washington, his ability to disrupt the middle is just what the Cowboys need.
  • CB Cam Sutton- will be 28 soon. Has played CB in Pittsburg since 2017 and has excelled the last 2 years. Can cover the slot and wide. With the age and injury on Anthony Brown, this could be an upgrade.
  • G Issac Seumalo- a 29 year old G who has had a great year in Filly. A great run blocker and decent pass protector. With the likely departure of Connor McGovern this could be an upgrade.
  • DI Sheldon Rankins- 28 year old who was originally drafted by the saints in 2016 but played for jets last yr. He had his best year ever in 2022 with career highs in sacks and tackles.
  • WR Mecole Hardman- 25 year old speedster who has made a name for himself in KC. Has 4.3 speed- something we sorely lack at WR. He was injured at midseason this year but should be good to start the year.
This is a very incomplete list. I intentionally picked FAs who were still young but also not at the top of the FA cost list. But it gives us some ideas on what’s out there. We cannot have another lazy off-season!

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've given up on wishing for good players acquired through FA. I keep hoping that one day, Jerry and his son will finally come to the realization that the bottom of the barrel FA players aren't going to cut it in their quest for the Super Bowl. The whole "we like our guys" mantra is getting old.

phildadon86

Reaction score
It is as clear as a sunny day- teams that are wisely aggressive in trying to improve their roster in both the draft AND free agency are the teams competing for championships. If the Cowboys actually plan on going “all in” on trying to win, Stephen Jones must stop with his constant droning on about “staying under the cap”.

Speaking of the cap, one of the absolutes that must happen to allow us to be more aggressive is to let go of the dead weight this team carries. Tyron Smith has to go. Love the guy but you can’t pay a player who plays part time the millions we pay him. And no, he does not have trade value because he’s missed 44 games in 6 yrs. Zeke has to go too. Parting ways with those two alone saves $20 mil of cap space. And there will be some other space gained too by letting Dalton Schultz walk.

So in addition to hope for another excellent draft, here are some FAs I would be looking at who may not be household names but worth a look to bring improvement to several areas:
  • DI Dre’Mont Jones- 26- a 3rd round pick in 2019 in Denver, Jones is an excellent interior defender against the run and pass.Had career highs in pressures and sacks.
  • DI Daron Payne- 26. A run stuffing interior monster who may be too costly. A former first round pick in Washington, his ability to disrupt the middle is just what the Cowboys need.
  • CB Cam Sutton- will be 28 soon. Has played CB in Pittsburg since 2017 and has excelled the last 2 years. Can cover the slot and wide. With the age and injury on Anthony Brown, this could be an upgrade.
  • G Issac Seumalo- a 29 year old G who has had a great year in Filly. A great run blocker and decent pass protector. With the likely departure of Connor McGovern this could be an upgrade.
  • DI Sheldon Rankins- 28 year old who was originally drafted by the saints in 2016 but played for jets last yr. He had his best year ever in 2022 with career highs in sacks and tackles.
  • WR Mecole Hardman- 25 year old speedster who has made a name for himself in KC. Has 4.3 speed- something we sorely lack at WR. He was injured at midseason this year but should be good to start the year.
This is a very incomplete list. I intentionally picked FAs who were still young but also not at the top of the FA cost list. But it gives us some ideas on what’s out there. We cannot have another lazy off-season!
Free agency?

RD21

Reaction score
Watching what the Eagles have accomplished in the last 5-6 yrs only makes our disappointments worse. Wow. Going to their second superbowl with a different Head Coach, & QB..... As much as it pains me to say it, their model is winning, & winning now.

One big take from this weekend echoes a familiar common denominator from Championship caliber teams. Good QB play, & great defense can get you to the dance. We're real close on defense in my opinion.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Mecole Hardman is an interesting name I hadn't thought about before. Fit's the Cowboys needs pretty well and would make a ton of sense.

My gut keeps telling me the Cowboys will stand by their ideology of prioritizing the comp picks over aggressive free agent moves though.

stinkface

Reaction score
We are the bottom feeders on FA and have been for years. To think we are going to be a player this year would be at the most wishful thinking.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score

None of these players will be on the clearance rack so I don't see the Jones' going after any of these players

exciter

Reaction score

Derrick Nandi or however you spell his name. Chiefs were able to bring him back on a 1yr 2.5m contract last year. He shouldn’t create too much of a gag reflex from Stephen with his price tag!

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don’t see them letting McGovern walk then signing a high priced OL.

If they spend there, it’ll be on a player theyve heard of….their own.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score

Definitely one of the 2 DL to team with Hankins PLEASE!

JonesBoys

Reaction score

Should is the key word here. Let's put together a list of players who might except an honest offer.

Creeper

Reaction score

Dalvin Tomlinson is a free agent this year and I think he is making about $7.5 million from teh Vikings. I think he is a little bit out of Jerry's price range but not that much.

Payne is definitely out of Jerry's price range. And I doubt the Commanders let him go anyway.

I would keep McGovern before I would sign Seumalo. I think Seumalo is going to get higher offers than McGovern because he will be on a Super Bowl team. I think McGovern and Seumalo are basically the same players.

Rankins played next to Quinnen Williams with the Jets. The Cowboys don't have a Quinnen Williams so I would not expect Rankins to have as much success with the Cowboys. I guess my question is to they draft a DT like Siaki Ika? Do they re-sign Hankins and add Tomlinson? This team does not invest in talent at the DT position and it is the major weakness on this team. But paying, let's say $18 million for Tomlinson and Hanks would be reasonable IMO.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Bob, You should compile a book of all your threads.

Title: A million and one different ways to say I hate Jerry...