Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Run defense snaps: 63
Pass rush snaps: 64

Run defense grade: 30.2
Pass rush grade: 63.2

18 snaps : A gap (NT)
98 snaps: B gap (3T)
11 snaps : Over Tackle ( could either be 4i or 5T. I think PFF could possibly classify both as "Over Tackle" even though 4i is off the shoulder)

So it looks like we have been playing Smith primarily as a 3T. And by a wide margin. And Im not a huge fan of PFF's grades, but it looks like he is much more effective as a pass rusher than a run defender

Mr_437

Reaction score
1. I think playing Mazi at 3T is still for run defense purposes to clog the middle with a NT (Hankins) and a 1T (Mazi). I said this shortly after Smith was drafted that he would be a Carlos Watkins replacement not Hankins.

2. I don't feel Mazi will take up the space a Hankins does, so moving forward Dallas may still need a true NT if Big Hank moves on.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's clearly either not capable or not ready. We won't know which until next year, after a full NFL offseason. I don't think we'll learn much at all from what he does this season.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
1. I think playing Mazi at 3T is still for run defense purposes to clog the middle with a NT (Hankins) and a 1T (Mazi). I said this shortly after Smith was drafted that he would be a Carlos Watkins replacement not Hankins.

2. I don't feel Mazi will take up the space a Hankins does, so moving forward Dallas may still need a true NT if Big Hank moves on.
He is playing 3T on both run and pass downs. His snap count is practically 50/50 run/pass, but he is playing very little at 1T.

Space fillers are overrated. Hankins is still good at because he can move down the line. Most space fillers cant, and become a liability on stretch. Smith needed work holding blocks consistently when he came out, but that wont take too long for him to master. Its easier to learn that. My guess is he spent much of his offseason and TC working on pass rush technique. I think he will probably slide over to 1T next year

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's clearly either not capable or not ready. We won't know which until next year, after a full NFL offseason. I don't think we'll learn much at all from what he does this season.
What are your thoughts on the data in the OP. Where they are playing him, and in what situations they are playing him in

kskboys

Reaction score
He is playing 3T on both run and pass downs. His snap count is practically 50/50 run/pass, but he is playing very little at 1T.

Space fillers are overrated. Hankins is still good at because he can move down the line. Most space fillers cant, and become a liability on stretch. Smith needed work holding blocks consistently when he came out, but that wont take too long for him to master. Its easier to learn that. My guess is he spent much of his offseason and TC working on pass rush technique. I think he will probably slide over to 1T next year
People don't understand the term "space filler". It's not so much about size, it's more about having the quick feet and lateral agility to move side to side to fill that space.

One of the knocks on Mazi was questionable lateral agility. "Poor lateral mover who can't create angles". by

Now, there was some conjecture that this was simply due to him not being asked to move side to side. Hard to say. I'm one of the biggest DT proponents on this site, and I wasn't enthused by the pick, specifically due to that.

And in the same report: "Easy knee bend and flexibility in his lower half."

Yes, those seem to be contradicting statements. We know he's a great athlete for his size, of that there's no doubt. Now we just need to find out if he can move laterally. That is what matters.

kskboys

Reaction score

They aren't overrated, there are simply very very few guys that big who can fill space w/ lateral agility and foot quickness. Some of the best NT's are more of the 300-310 lb variety. You need a NT who can both anchor and move laterally to make tackles/fill space.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They aren't overrated, there are simply very very few guys that big who can fill space w/ lateral agility and foot quickness. Some of the best NT's are more of the 300-310 lb variety. You need a NT who can both anchor and move laterally to make tackles/fill space.
When people talk about " space fillers" they are talking about a particular type of 1T/NT. Gargantuan 330+, who's funtion is "taking up space ". Most of these type of players arent able to defend modern run games that feature more stretch amd is direction because they lack the mobility to defend outside their box.

I agree that the modern 1T/NT are more in the 300 to 320 range

Bigrandrn

Reaction score

We need to keep Hankins signed for a couple more years. It’s obvious he is needed here and shouldn't be expensive.

plasticman

Reaction score
Every player on the same D-line with Parsons is a better pass rusher than previously thought. Go figure.....

chagus

Reaction score
I didnt HATE the pick itself, I just hated WHERE they picked him. Developmental player in the 1st rd? I think Mazi couldve been taken in the 2nd unless the Saints or Chiefs had taken him. Saints got a good pick with DT Bresee, who is actually impactful. Dallas just missed on Mazi. Sucks but thats what it is.

chagus

Reaction score
I didnt HATE the pick itself, I just hated WHERE they picked him. Developmental player in the 1st rd? I think Mazi couldve been taken in the 2nd unless the Saints or Chiefs had taken him. Saints got a good pick with DT Bresee, who is actually impactful. Dallas just missed on Mazi. Sucks but thats what it is.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Run defense snaps: 63
Pass rush snaps: 64

Run defense grade: 30.2
Pass rush grade: 63.2

18 snaps : A gap (NT)
98 snaps: B gap (3T)
11 snaps : Over Tackle ( could either be 4i or 5T. I think PFF could possibly classify both as "Over Tackle" even though 4i is off the shoulder)

So it looks like we have been playing Smith primarily as a 3T. And by a wide margin. And Im not a huge fan of PFF's grades, but it looks like he is much more effective as a pass rusher than a run defender
PFF grades every play. So, the more plays, the more accurate the overall grade. He was literally drafted to help us in run defense.

mcmvp

Reaction score
When people talk about " space fillers" they are talking about a particular type of 1T/NT. Gargantuan 330+, who's funtion is "taking up space ". Most of these type of players arent able to defend modern run games that feature more stretch amd is direction because they lack the mobility to defend outside their box.

I agree that the modern 1T/NT are more in the 300 to 320 range
Agree…and the offensive game is too spread out these days to rely on those types. DTs needs to be faster and more athletic. DTs that can do nothing more than fill space are not good enough

fivetwos

Reaction score
A DT chosen in the 20s in a weak draft?

I can have a little more patience than less than half a season.

Jet fans wanted to run Quinnen Williams out of NY after one full season.