Some of my draft thoughts/opinions 2 weeks away!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
-Unless one of the top Offensive Lineman fall (Jones, Wright, Skronski), I wouldn't take either Guard outside of a wipeout scenario. You want your 1st rd pick to have potential to become a pro bowl level starter, don't see that with either Guard. We still have no idea what the coaches have planned for the starting group. Jerry was saying one thing, where Stephen/MM were saying another. Their plan last yr was Tyron to LT, Tyler to LG, playoffs had Peters starting at LT. Yes, a contingent plan needs to be in place for Tyron, but that might come within. Vorhees, Mafi might be more down the road options that they could consider.

-Don't take a 1st rd receiver, in my opinion, you only take a future #1 receiver in the first rd. I see several good #2 types. With all the receivers brought in as either 30 visits or Dallas Day, it's looking likely they want to add one somewhere within the top 3 rounds.

-Due to the lack of high-end receivers, it has pushed up 2 legitimate, 1st rd TE's in Mayer and Kincaid. Just the matter what type you want, they offer two different skillsets. Will the Cowboys have 1st rd grades on both TE's?

-Both the Edge and Corner classes are very deep this yr, but these are high valued positions that always get over drafted, if they want one, might have to take one high.

-Great #2 RB depth after the 1st two rounds: might be 6-7 quality options to choose from.

-Don't fall for the trap, this team doesn't value NT's who play 30% of the downs and the Safety position. If they address either area, it's going to happen more on day 3. A'Shaun Robinson is still a fa and from the Dallas area, maybe they can get him on the cheap.

-What about linebacker? It is quite possible they use a day 2, early day 3 pick at the position. This is also another area where they can use post draft fa to land a veteran at a discount price. They did bring in a few as 30 visits, which suggest they will consider the position if one falls to them.

-Expect them to take a day 3 QB. They have been connected to several and even brought in a few as national visits.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
-Unless one of the top Offensive Lineman fall (Jones, Wright, Skronski), I wouldn't take either Guard outside of a wipeout scenario. You want your 1st rd pick to have potential to become a pro bowl level starter, don't see that with either Guard. We still have no idea what the coaches have planned for the starting group. Jerry was saying one thing, where Stephen/MM were saying another. Their plan last yr was Tyron to LT, Tyler to LG, playoffs had Peters starting at LT. Yes, a contingent plan needs to be in place for Tyron, but that might come within. Vorhees, Mafi might be more down the road options that they could consider.

-Don't take a 1st rd receiver, in my opinion, you only take a future #1 receiver in the first rd. I see several good #2 types. With all the receivers brought in as either 30 visits or Dallas Day, it's looking likely they want to add one somewhere within the top 3 rounds.

-Due to the lack of high-end receivers, it has pushed up 2 legitimate, 1st rd TE's in Mayer and Kincaid. Just the matter what type you want, they offer two different skillsets. Will the Cowboys have 1st rd grades on both TE's?

-Both the Edge and Corner classes are very deep this yr, but these are high valued positions that always get over drafted, if they want one, might have to take one high.

-Great #2 RB depth after the 1st two rounds: might be 6-7 quality options to choose from.

-Don't fall for the trap, this team doesn't value NT's who play 30% of the downs and the Safety position. If they address either area, it's going to happen more on day 3. A'Shaun Robinson is still a fa and from the Dallas area, maybe they can get him on the cheap.

-What about linebacker? It is quite possible they use a day 2, early day 3 pick at the position. This is also another area where they can use post draft fa to land a veteran at a discount price. They did bring in a few as 30 visits, which suggest they will consider the position if one falls to them.

-Expect them to take a day 3 QB. They have been connected to several and even brought in a few as national visits.
This is the one draft where we truly are in position to let the draft come to us.
I just hope we get Jerry to show the Board, post draft, to see the thinking.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I agree about receiver & RB. Although I would very much consider a RB like Gibbs if we traded back into the early 2nd. After that, yeah I would probably drop back to late 3rd of 4th to get a back.

I think the LBer \ Edge will impact how the draft falls. Think it will depend on how teams view certain players and of course the schemes they run.

I think one of the OG's will get selected in the first. May or may not grade out that high but there is so much demand that someone will want to get one they feel good about rather than wait.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I agree about receiver & RB. Although I would very much consider a RB like Gibbs if we traded back into the early 2nd. After that, yeah I would probably drop back to late 3rd of 4th to get a back.

I think the LBer \ Edge will impact how the draft falls. Think it will depend on how teams view certain players and of course the schemes they run.

I think one of the OG's will get selected in the first. May or may not grade out that high but there is so much demand that someone will want to get one they feel good about rather than wait.
With the lack of high-end receivers, think all the other positions move up. We might see more Edge/Corners then what the media scouts are projecting.

Believe we will see 1 interior lineman get drafted in rd 1, it's either going to be Torrence/Avilia or Schmitz.

morasp

Reaction score
This is the one draft where we truly are in position to let the draft come to us.
I just hope we get Jerry to show the Board, post draft, to see the thinking.
I really like our draft position if someone doesn't fall to us we can trade back like the Fredrick pick. Otherwise I'm sure one of these guys will be there.

Robinson
Skoronski
Sanders
Hyatt
Branch
Musgrave
Kincaid
Mayer
Jones
Witherspoon
Njigba
Porter
McDonald
Wright
Gibbs

Given our recent late first round picks I just want a high floor guy that can come in and contribute and possibly play well enough to earn a second multiyear contract. Pick 26 is practically the second round and if you factor in first round grades it probably is.

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I really like our draft position if someone doesn't fall to us we can trade back like the Fredrick pick. Otherwise I'm sure one of these guys will be there.

Robinson
Skoronski
Sanders
Hyatt
Branch
Musgrave
Kincaid
Mayer
Jones
Witherspoon
Njigba
Porter
McDonald
Wright
Gibbs

Given our recent late first round picks I just want a high floor guy that can come in and contribute and possibly play well enough to earn a second multiyear contract. Pick 26 is practically the second round and if you factor in first round grades it probably is.
It's hard to project picking so late, that's why many of us have multiple targets for the pick.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I got a wild card for you. I have noticed that Steele has not signed the 2nd round tender yet. I wonder what the Cowboys are going to do with him. I bet the Cowboys would rather have that 2nd round pick from a team that signed him to an offer sheet.