Some PFF Grades vs Ravens

Creeper

Reaction score
I'd love to know how they come up with these grades for defensive linemen. The Raven ran past our DE all day because they were out of position of blocked out by WRs and Mazi, who actually had 3 solo tackles as a NT was rated the lowest? I have no issue grading any of the Cowboys defensive linemen that low, but the problem with the 274 yards rushing was not the fault of the DTs. It was mostly the outside contain guys who repeatedly gave up the outside and allowed Jackson and others to run for 10 or more yards without being touched.

I thought Overshown made some mistakes, like the rest of them, but he also made a few plays. He was hit or miss all day. 29.9 seems too low for him. I know it's apples and oranges but how does CeeDee get a 49 while Overshown gets a 29? CeeDee fumbled near the goal, dropped multiple passes and was wasn't getting open. I would have given him close to zero for his performance.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No problem is we want Overshown to be great because of that 1st game, he's not going to do it every game he's basically a rookie! Anyways they got what they deserved they need to play better, at this point i'm not sure if they can

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I'd love to know how they come up with these grades for defensive linemen. The Raven ran past our DE all day because they were out of position of blocked out by WRs and Mazi, who actually had 3 solo tackles as a NT was rated the lowest? I have no issue grading any of the Cowboys defensive linemen that low, but the problem with the 274 yards rushing was not the fault of the DTs. It was mostly the outside contain guys who repeatedly gave up the outside and allowed Jackson and others to run for 10 or more yards without being touched.

I thought Overshown made some mistakes, like the rest of them, but he also made a few plays. He was hit or miss all day. 29.9 seems too low for him. I know it's apples and oranges but how does CeeDee get a 49 while Overshown gets a 29? CeeDee fumbled near the goal, dropped multiple passes and was wasn't getting open. I would have given him close to zero for his performance.
PFF doesn’t rate your statline or how involved in a play you were, they rate what you’re doing to get there.

So let’s a CB is guarding a slot WR. The slot WR goes in motion to the other side of the line and youre in man, so you follow him. Suddenly that slot WR runs a slant and the safety covers it. You were supposed to flip to the outside WR if this guy motioned! Whoops! Now the outside WR is running free downfield and you do your best to chase him. QB sees him, wide open TD… except it clanks off the back of his helmet, he drops to the ground trying to turn back for it, and it ricochets right into your hands as you’re trailing him. You turn around, green daylight all the way, 40 yd pick sixfor the good guys.

That is going to be rated as the worst play anyone made all day. Because it wasn’t your god given talent or you understanding of the scheme or your abilities to cover WRs that made the play happen, it was blind luck. What you actually were responsible for is a TD for the other team 90 out of 100 times.

So it’s a rating of what you’re actually doing vs the end result. Sometimes what looks like a big run play was actually smart by Mazi and the issue was someone else. Good rating there. And sometimes Mazi’s run stuffing tackle may have been a boneheaded play by the RB and Mazi just lucked out by being in the wrong place at the right time. Mediocre rating there.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score

Lol Mazi was terrible, constantly getting blown out of the gap.

What do you people actually watch

Mikexike

Reaction score
Offense:

Worst performers on offense

1. CeeDee 49.3 - worst game of his career
2. Cooks 51
3. Steele 56.6
4. Tolbert 61.4
5 Tyler Smith 61.9

Worst Performers on Defense

1. Overshown 29.9 -
2. Mazi 33.0 :facepalm:

3. Diggs 33.6
4. Donavan Wilson 38.0
5. Hooker 48.5
:muttley:

Lamb is laughable, Can't play well when you cry like a baby for most of the game.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I talked down on this guy two weeks in a row, but one under the radar player this week was Liufau. PFF gave him a 65, but I think he showed improvement this game. Hes one of those guys who even when he gets blocked he still finds ways to be around the football......Even if it is the Jaylon Smith falling on the pile type. He seems to have good instincts and plays with a LB attitude, just seems limited physically.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Offense:

2. Cooks 51
3. Steele 56.6
4. Tolbert 61.4
5 Tyler Smith 61.9

1. Overshown 29.9 -

3. Diggs 33.6
4. Donavan Wilson 38.0
5. Hooker 48.5
We stink!

RonWashington

Reaction score
Top 5 #Cowboys PFF grades from Week 3:
1. KaVontae Turpin - 83.8
2. Eric Kendricks - 75.4
3. Hunter Luepke - 70.4
4. Carl Lawson - 69.9
5. Rico Dowdle - 69.5

Rico Dowdle gets yanked after a carry . Let him get into rhythm the entire series especially red zone . Let’s see more Carl Lawson .

TexasBacon

Reaction score
Offense:

2. Cooks 51
3. Steele 56.6
4. Tolbert 61.4
5 Tyler Smith 61.9

1. Overshown 29.9 -

3. Diggs 33.6
4. Donavan Wilson 38.0
5. Hooker 48.5
Cee Dee is not in football shape. If you watch the all-22 he's not getting the separation he did last year (or even close) unless he's schemed open. I think him missing camp is part of what is killing us now. Tyler Smith picked a bad week to have a bad game, and as much as we are all rightfully praying Jerry will trade for a DT (because we literally have NONE), it may be time to trade for an RT because Steele has not improved this year the way we hoped he would. It's been rough.

Hey, we usually fizzle out later in the year after starting hot. Maybe this year we'll get hot at the right time and we're getting our normal January play out of the way in September. Eh? Eh? eh? Buhler? Buhler?

Creeper

Reaction score
Lol Mazi was terrible, constantly getting blown out of the gap.

What do you people actually watch
Never said Mazi was great. What I said was the DE, and outside contain guys were getting embarrassed the entire games and yet Mazi was graded lower. I do actually watch the games, but I think sometimes people here see Henry running free in the secondary and automatically assume Mazi was at fault. Believe it or not sometimes he does what he is supposed to do and the guys behind him don't and that is the reason the defense fails.

Mazi getting shoved out of the hole by a double team, to me, isn;t as embarrassing as DLaw rushing inside only to watch the ball carried run outside him - 16 times a game.