Some sanity after my head exploded...

tskyler

Reaction score
Yes, Barron looked awful. Yes, Choice screwed up but. Yes, we did the RedZone avoidance dance. Beuhler was off. However, there are some positives.

1. I saw the cowboys make some plays they never showed last season. Three Half-Backs? Screens? Barber pass? Yes, they were doing things to cover for the OL but it just felt like a lot of new wrinkles. I will feel very good Kosier and Colombo are back.
2. Defense had no picks but they were back to form with bend not break.
3. Running game looked better than it has in a long time. (With very little help from the right side of the line, I might add)
4.Dez is learning and not totally lost.
5. Roy was solid
6. Miles didn't let the $$ change him.
7. Romo is still Romo

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
The only positives are that its looking like no serious injuries for us, Austin is unguardable, Bryant and Austin will be a GROSS two-headed monster, and our defense was dominating.

Jason Garrett? Bum.

Barron? Cut him.

Slammin Bran 23

Reaction score
It is always good to look for positives. But I am not happy with the play calling, discipline, and kicking position, as usual.

tskyler

Reaction score
casmith07;3549771 said:
Jason Garrett? Bum.

Barron? Cut him.

Sorry, I thought Garrett called it really well tonite. Better, than a lot of games the past few seasons. Played it safe but added some new things to repertoire.

Barron... My first take is that the feeling is deserved. Need to rewatch. My rule is also to give every player a really bad game. Hard not to break that rule with Barron. Sure, miss Colombo tonite.

Outtayourleague

Reaction score
tskyler;3549915 said:
Sorry, I thought Garrett called it really well tonite. Better, than a lot of games the past few seasons. Played it safe but added some new things to repertoire.

Barron... My first take is that the feeling is deserved. Need to rewatch. My rule is also to give every player a really bad game. Hard not to break that rule with Barron. Sure, miss Colombo tonite.

Only scoring one touchdown is not what i call a good night

punchnjudy

Reaction score
There are always going to be some "positives" when you're playing a second division team.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Romo2Dez88;3549964 said:

The lack of touchdowns had less to do with play calling and more to do with drive killing penalties. How many drives were outright cratered after a holding call. Of those drives how many of them had other penalties compounded on top of them like after a hold on 1st and 10 we get a false start on a 1st and 20, or a block n the back.

Number82

No Helmet; No Problem
Reaction score
tskyler;3549915 said:

Really?! He was terrible. WR screen after WR screen. He out gameplanned himself again. He spent too much time trying to run quick passes to compensate for the weak OL. When he actually opened up the play calling downfield because he needed to with time running out, the line held up enough for Romo to make plays.

Basically, Collinsworth said it the best. Red was trying to run quick passes, but he went away from the identity of the team.

tskyler

Reaction score
Romo2Dez88;3549964 said:

It was very far from a good night. Again, my headline was my head exploded. We didn't score very well against them last year either. But, it was:

A) A division game on the road
B) First, game of the season
C) Playing without our key OL man. (Kosier) And playing without another who was replaced by someone who had at the very least a horrible night
D) Had some major player stupidity

With all the negatives, I was surprised. They looked better than preseason to me. (Which shouldn't be surprising) They also looked better than they did on off nights last year. Would I feel better if we hung 60 points on them. Absolutely. Would I feel pretty good if Barron didn't blow that last play. Yes. I would see an ugly win. But, much less ugly than many games last year. I felt much worse about NY, Denver, and SD losses last year. Heck, I felt worse about the KC Win last year.

tskyler

Reaction score
Number82;3550167 said:
Basically, Collinsworth said it the best. Red was trying to run quick passes, but he went away from the identity of the team.

Totally disagree. But a valid point. I have never seen Garrett go "away from the identity of the team" before tonite. I think his fresh calls were what let us get back to our style later in the game. (No way to know) My gut says this would have been much uglier early if we hadn't tried something. I also feel like we have more to fall back on when we have a healthy line.