Some thoughts through two preseason games

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
- I think the offensive is in very good shape for the future. I think Guyton will have good and bad games this year, but he will be our LT for a decade. Beebe keeps improving fast at OC. I also think is solid young depth with starter potential too

- I think we could 5 deep with game ready CB's this year. I think you could put Carson and Booth in the 3rd and 4th CB slots and be ok.

- Our WR group is interesting, but not very good. The ball is going to be funneled to Lamb again this year. I think Brooks and Fourney are interesting prospects, but I dont see a 2024 impact. I think Tolbert is decent as a #3/#4 you can flex depending on matchups, but he is underwhelming as a #3. Without Lamb this is probably the worst WR corps in the NFL

- I feel better about LB now than I did in the offseason. Overshown has looked great, and Liufau has looked much more NFL ready than I thought he would

- If you are selling yourself on Royce Freeman, you have a HB problem

- Im concerned some about the pass rush. Williams wasnt a goos all around player, but rusher the passer is where he was going to leave a mark this year. Kneeland has had a great preseason, but hasnt done much as a rusher and probably wont this year. Adding Lawson might help, but he is more of a Fowler caliber player. Not a bad thing, but we need more.

- I really wish Mazi played last night. He looked better the first game than he did last year, but he had his bad plays too. Would have liked to see another sample to see where he is. I do think can get in the field as much as Bohanna (15%-20% of snaps) did his first two years, and I think he would do much better. Phillips is a one year wonder and that year was 5 years ago. Im expecting him to fill any role Fehoko may have had.

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
- I really wish Mazi played last night. He looked better the first game than he did last year, but he had his bad plays too. Would have liked to see another sample to see where he is. I do think can get in the field as much as Bohanna (15%-20% of snaps) did his first two years, and I think he would do much better. Phillips is a one year wonder and that year was 5 years ago. Im expecting him to fill any role Fehoko may have had.

I agree. Mazi needs this time big time. Coaches need it too to see how he does in a game setting.
Phillips is an one year wonder, but does offer the ability to be on the field 30-45% of the snaps and not be terrible.
Just need Mazi to get to the 30-35% mark and then have another quicker DT for the obvious passing downs. Gholston?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I agree. Mazi needs this time big time. Coaches need it too to see how he does in a game setting.
Phillips is an one year wonder, but does offer the ability to be on the field 30-45% of the snaps and not be terrible.
Just need Mazi to get to the 30-35% mark and then have another quicker DT for the obvious passing downs. Gholston?
Gholston is a weird player. He was drafted to basically be a run DE, but he is horrible against the run and a solid pass rusher. I think you will probably see him get a decent amount of snaps as a subpackage interior rusher

With Smith, for better or worse, I think he gets the lions share of 1T snaps. I dont think that will amount to more than 50% of the snaps though. That might be his ceiling this year

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think our WR group will surprise and be better than many may think. Tolbert has been having a very good camp. And I also think Brooks can be sneaky good, but needs more snaps.
The competition for the 6th WR spot could be interesting. But I think it goes to Flournoy. He has looked decent, but has a way to go. Plus he was a draft pick. They seem to hold onto all draft picks regardless of anything else.

The good plays all the other WR's madden camp and PS games, we seen it all before. 2 o3 of them will be back on the PS.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think our WR group will surprise and be better than many may think. Tolbert has been having a very good camp. And I also think Brooks can be sneaky good, but needs more snaps.
The competition for the 6th WR spot could be interesting. But I think it goes to Flournoy. He has looked decent, but has a way to go. Plus he was a draft pick. They seem to hold onto all draft picks regardless of anything else.

The good plays all the other WR's madden camp and PS games, we seen it all before. 2 o3 of them will be back on the PS.
Darth is right. Without Lamb this is one of the worst WR groups in the NFL. It would rival the 2018 group.

Flamma

Reaction score
My thoughts. Why is Zeke not playing in PS? He's probably better than 1 RB currently on the team. I'm not even sure about that. But since the guy can't take a handoff at the 1 yard line, I'm throwing him under the bus.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
- I think the offensive is in very good shape for the future. I think Guyton will have good and bad games this year, but he will be our LT for a decade. Beebe keeps improving fast at OC. I also think is solid young depth with starter potential too

- I think we could 5 deep with game ready CB's this year. I think you could put Carson and Booth in the 3rd and 4th CB slots and be ok.

- Our WR group is interesting, but not very good. The ball is going to be funneled to Lamb again this year. I think Brooks and Fourney are interesting prospects, but I dont see a 2024 impact. I think Tolbert is decent as a #3/#4 you can flex depending on matchups, but he is underwhelming as a #3. Without Lamb this is probably the worst WR corps in the NFL

- I feel better about LB now than I did in the offseason. Overshown has looked great, and Liufau has looked much more NFL ready than I thought he would

- Im concerned some about the pass rush. Williams wasnt a goos all around player, but rusher the passer is where he was going to leave a mark this year. Kneeland has had a great preseason, but hasnt done much as a rusher and probably wont this year. Adding Lawson might help, but he is more of a Fowler caliber player. Not a bad thing, but we need more.

It's a shame a better job wasn't done to address RB. It looks like the OL could potentially be a very good run blocking group. While that helps, you still need good player(s) at the position to get the job done. This RB group looks worse than the 2018 WR group.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Darth is right. Without Lamb this is one of the worst WR groups in the NFL. It would rival the 2018 group.
True, but I was including Lamb as I believe he will sign once the team returns from Oxnard.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's a shame a better job wasn't done to address RB. It looks like the OL could potentially be a very good run blocking group. While that helps, you still need good player(s) at the position to get the job done. This RB group looks worse than the 2018 WR group.
Im still hoping there is a trade to be made before the season starts. I just hope its not another Chistine Michael

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I think there is some upside with Brooks and Flourney. But I dont think that manifests itself much in 2024. There is still some upside left in Tolbert, but I think max's out as a league average #3. And I dont think he is there year. All 3 of them are #4's right now, and Im not sure I would put Flourney there yet.

At this stage in his career, Cooks is at best a #3. I think its workable with Lamb. Especially if Ferguson takes another step. But without Lamb, its very grim

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
His performance against Crosby was definitely a good sign with Garrett across from him week 1
Not sure why everyone assumes Garrett will line up only across from Guyton. I’m actually more worried about Steele

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure why everyone assumes Garrett will line up only across from Guyton. I’m actually more worried about Steele
They will probably play him on the blind side as much as they can
I am not in fear of Garrett. And not sure why so many are.

Wait, we talking Myles or Jason? :muttley:

OK, it is not like Garrett is going up against a Chaz Green type OL. And Zeke will be in there as well. As long as they do not blitz so, Zeke would ned to pick up that defender. Leaving Garrett 1 on 1 with any OT.

SBWinner

Reaction score

Agree and think WR has younger talent needing to be developed because CD and Cooks are taking so much of the cap. We are going to have to develop from within for depth and need a replacement for Cooks next year as well. I think they see that and hence why they are working so much on development on bunches of bodies in camp. Flournoy should be kept on roster as he is likely a prime candidate for the 3-4th WR next year.

HB is the biggest hole on the team. There is some talent but Dak is going to have to carry the team this year b/c the running game is much weaker. They need to scour waivers at end of camp for more candidates but they may roll with what they have.

Pass rush I am ok with. I think Zimmer wants Parsons more at LB in his system (he rushes his LB a LOT) and based on recent DT moves wants one of his current 3T to be a strongside DE to get more size on the line. Kneeland may play as much on right as left, and Osa rotates at DE and 3T based upon formation (DT in nickel and pass defense). I think it's possible Phillips and Mazi play next to each other in the middle on obvious running downs to get size and experience in the game. They seem to like Daxon as DT depth and he may push Golston out to DE full time to give DE depth. We may be missing a second quick twitch pass rusher at WDE but I think they like what Lawson and Kneeland provide there with Parsons playing DE on obvious passing downs only to keep him fresh.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I am not in fear of Garrett. And not sure why so many are.

Wait, we talking Myles or Jason? :muttley:

OK, it is not like Garrett is going up against a Chaz Green type OL. And Zeke will be in there as well. As long as they do not blitz so, Zeke would ned to pick up that defender. Leaving Garrett 1 on 1 with any OT.
Garrett can be a game wrecker even against All Pro LT's. He is someone we definitely should be worried about