SOMEWHAT unwarrented worry over offensive line

Avenging Hayseed

Interwebs fooseball expert
Reaction score
Not a doubt in my mind our offensive line will be vastly improved over last year. Were going to be ALOT more mobile unit this year when it comes to the O.L. WHY do you think BP went out and grabbed Rivera last year, Kosier this year, and drafted Al Johnson???? HMMMMMMM. Much different blocking style that we Cowboy fans are used too. Gonna take some time to Gell. Tell you one thing, our R.B's are going to be hitting the edges alot more than what were used too. The double T.E offense has alot to do with it also, so does the Owens signing. RELAX!, Some may not understand now, but they will come the third preseason game.

lspain1

Reaction score
Avenging Hayseed said:
Not a doubt in my mind our offensive line will be vastly improved over last year. Were going to be ALOT more mobile unit this year when it comes to the O.L. WHY do you think BP went out and grabbed Rivera last year, Kosier this year, and drafted Al Johnson???? HMMMMMMM. Much different blocking style that we Cowboy fans are used too. Gonna take some time to Gell. Tell you one thing, our R.B's are going to be hitting the edges alot more than what were used too. The double T.E offense has alot to do with it also, so does the Owens signing. RELAX!, Some may not understand now, but they will come the third preseason game.

Hayseed, I will not allow you to spoil my worry party!:p:

If you don't mind I'll still twist my worry beads on this subject for some time to come. Honestly speaking, I think we are still thin here. Someone gets hurt and we could be in trouble again.

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
Hayseed, I will not allow you to spoil my worry party!:p:

If you don't mind I'll still twist my worry beads on this subject for some time to come. Honestly speaking, I think we are still thin here. Someone gets hurt and we could be in trouble again.
.......Only position im really worried about depth wise is LEFT tackle. If something should happen to Flo again we could be in a world of trouble. Thing is though, just about EVERY team out there is in the same shape when it comes to left tackle depth....

burmafrd

Reaction score
I actually think we are fine at tackle now. Columbo has come back from his injury and is at the least good depth. Petitti is getting better. Fabini seems to have found himself at the srimmage and at least no longer looks like a bust. The Hotel is gradually coming back. So we have 4 good tackles right now- and I am not including McQuistan who has flashed potential. What I am worried now about is GUARD. Peterman does not look like anything more then depth, and while it looks like we have good starters in Rivera and Kosier, our depth THERE does NOT LOOK GOOD.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Remeber, Gurode can also play guard. I honestly haven't been hearing anything negative about the interior of the line except in some one on one drills and we are getting a lot of yards up the middle...probably our best running thus far.

Our biggest OL questions are still at tackle. And probably will be throughout training camp.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
He was too out of shape to pass his physical and Dallas told him he should stay retired. Kennedy agreed, then got a call from the Skins, so he went there and passed their physical. I don't know if they signed him though.

dozin_theknick

Reaction score
Fla Cowpoke said:
He was too out of shape to pass his physical and Dallas told him he should stay retired. Kennedy agreed, then got a call from the Skins, so he went there and passed their physical. I don't know if they signed him though.

That sounds about right. Probably signed him to 6yrs, 25 mil, 20 guaranteed.:lmao2:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Fla Cowpoke said:
then got a call from the Skins, so he went there and passed their physical. I don't know if they signed him though.

I heard this... but then I also heard from quite a few people that he did NOT pass the Commanders physical. Skins fans are saying he didn't pass.

btcutter

Reaction score
Avenging Hayseed said:

They maybe able to pull and create running lanes for the RBs outside but Bledsoe is still a statue and loves to hold on to the ball. As evident by the scrimmage our QBs were sacked...what...8 times??? Sure, our DL maybe pretty good but still.......we are facing some pretty good D's in our own division. Our OL will determine the fate of our season and I AM worried. I think the organization is as well. You don't bring in Lincoln Kenndy for a try out and check out Meadows if you weren't concerned.

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
Both Meadows and Kennedy are TACKLES. They were being looked at as BACKUPS. Im confident that either Colombo, Pettiti, or Fabini will be able to fill the right tackle spot as a starter. Only thing im worried about is a backup to flozell.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Avenging Hayseed said:

able to even be on par with what we had "pre-flo-injury" is goig to be the best we can really hope for.

flo still nursing his injury.
al johnson being talked *up*? bwa ha haha. first time i think i've seen that one by even the most staunch defenders of the line.
rivera - let's make sure he can get past his back problems and be effective on the field first, ok?

petitti - hoping he can step it up. of all the people on the line he's the one i have the most faith in. he stood out last year for good AND bad reasons yet he stayed in there swinging and taking his lumps. i admire him and hope he can learn to let some of the things that got to him last year slide this year and stay focused on his job.

kosier - he's replaced a HOF in allen. he will forever be compared to him for better or worse and ultimately he'll NEVER be a larry allen or he'd have been a highly sought after player in the off-season, not a sleeper we took a flyer on. jury out, but let's not pencil in "replaced" on allens spot just because we found a warm body and have HOPE he'll be all that.

gurode - servicable is about all i can say. not great, not terrible, just another name on the line.

fabini - no OL player has been more shelled since the start of camp than "give us less sacks playing backwards" fabini. it was nice of parcells to give his old boys a job for a year but at this point he may be nothing more than depth and a turnstyle should he ever actually hit the field. let's hope we don't have to test out parcells predictions, forwards or backwards.

colombo - another "hopeful" having a good camp so far. let it ride and let's see what he can do. i hope he can stap it up but then i hope he and petitti can play multiple spots on the line.

mcquistian - a 7th round pick not even projected *to* be picked who's biggest cowboy moment could be his WARF impersonation with 1/2 his hair missing and no need for makeup to complete the klingon look.

i can understand those who say we could be as good as last year. i can even see where some may feel we'd be a step better if the "gel" factor actually works.

but to say "vastly improved" - you're dreaming dude.

ratpower

Reaction score
Avenging Hayseed said:

Sorry A.H., The line is main reason why we will not be able to utilize all the weapons we have.

Jerry and BP knew the problem and have not done anything about it. In fact, BP' decisions on the line will be his undoing...Note: Ryan Young, Jacob Rogers, Al (I'm two yards in the backfield) Johnson and it looks like Fabini the ultimate back up can be added to this list given the early reports.

BP has upgraded everything on this team except a future QB and the O-line...

I'll keep praying...

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
ratpower said:
Sorry A.H., The line is main reason why we will not be able to utilize all the weapons we have.

Jerry and BP knew the problem and have not done anything about it. In fact, BP' decisions on the line will be his undoing...Note: Ryan Young, Jacob Rogers, Al (I'm two yards in the backfield) Johnson and it looks like Fabini the ultimate back up can be added to this list given the early reports.

BP has upgraded everything on this team except a future QB and the O-line...

I'll keep praying...

it's times like this i don't feel so alone. :)

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
Larry Allen has pretty much stunk it up the last couple years. Probowl or no probowl. He got there on name only. The guy couldnt move at all anymore and didnt fit the scheme. Kosier actually was a hot name, many teams were pursuing him but we struck fast. Time will tell. But until PROVEN otherwise I prefer to think our line HAS upgraded.

Manster68

Reaction score
Folks,

As I have preached many times, sometimes it takes 3-5 years before offensive linemen truly "Blossom". That is why I am not so worried about the younger lineman. Some of them will blossom - and some will not.

I am very confident that this offensive line will be better than last year. The younger guys will have another year's experience. Also, Flo, Rivera, and Colombo will be back.

The way I would handle the center position is if the opponent runs a 4-3 defense, then Al Johnson starts. However, if the opponent runs a 3-4, then you play Gurode (who can handle the bigger nose tackles 1-on-1).

Avenging Hayseed

Reaction score
Listen, heres what our biggest problem was last year other than Flo going down......You CANNOT have 4 out of the 5 starters on the O line all having the same weakness. WE DID. Tucker was a slow slug, Larry was slow, Rivera, who normally can move and pull was hampered by his back, and Pettiti was an overweight rookie at the time. The only MOVER we had on the O line last year AT ALL was Al Johnson. PERIOD. In todays NFL with athletes that have the speed and athleticism that they have you just cant put out these slug O lineman anymore. Now with Flo back, a very mobile Kosier and Al Johnson, a healthy Rivera and a competent Right tackle "Improved Pettiti" I expect us to be better, ALOT BETTER.