Sooners will be better - LATER

TxStar61

Reaction score
Sooners will be better – later

By Terry Bowden, Yahoo! Sports

September 5, 2005

I was lucky enough to call what has to be the biggest upset of the opening week. There were a lot of question marks at Oklahoma coming into the season, but one of them was not whether the Sooners could beat TCU. However, because enough of the concerns about Oklahoma proved true, TCU enjoyed maybe its biggest win ever, rivaling a 1961 victory over top-ranked Texas.

All preseason I asked two major questions about Oklahoma. Are the Sooners rebuilding or reloading this year? After losing a Heisman Trophy winner at quarterback, the top four receivers and seven starters on defense, no one knew if the Sooners would be able to fill the holes and be just as good coming into the season. And had Oklahoma lost its swagger – its belief that it can beat anybody – after the humiliating loss to USC in last season's national championship?

After watching the TCU game, I think we have found out the answers.

TCU was coming off a 5-6 season and had the last-ranked pass defense in Division I. So the Horned Frogs made a decision to put nine people on the line of scrimmage, hoping to stop star running back Adrian Peterson and force young quarterbacks Paul Thompson and Rhett Bomar to win the game through the air.

The strategy worked perfectly. Time and time again, Thompson and Bomar could not hit or find an open receiver in critical passing situations.

As for Peterson, his first-half numbers were unbelievable: eight carries, five yards (and his first carry went for eight yards). It showed that even with the top running back in the country, you can't run the ball just because you want to.

If anyone wonders how much Oklahoma misses quarterback Jason White, they just had to watch Paul Thompson underthrow deep balls to open receivers to find out. On two plays that White easily would have made, Oklahoma came up with nothing. This just put more pressure on the inexperienced players in the passing game.

I had talked to TCU offensive coordinator Mike Schultz on Friday, and he said the Horned Frogs had three main goals: control the clock, avoid turnovers and get the game into the third and fourth quarter.

TCU followed that game plan perfectly.

Senior quarterback Tye Gunn proved to be the difference, along with the TCU defense. Although Gunn was not able to hit many passes for big plays, he kept the Horned Frogs' offense on the field, and when Oklahoma finally turned the ball over, Gunn led TCU into the end zone.

TCU head coach Gary Patterson had his team prepared. It was the biggest upset of the weekend, but it looked more like two equal teams battling it out for four quarters.

Oklahoma's defense played well enough to win the game, giving up just 97 rushing yards and no big pass plays. But when TCU overloaded the box with eight and nine defenders, they exposed the Sooners' shortcomings at quarterback.

TCU, which had enjoyed three 10-win seasons since Patterson joined the staff, seems to have proven that last year's losing record was more of an aberration than a sign of decline. The Horned Frogs will compete for the Mountain West championship in their first season in the league.

On the other hand, Oklahoma obviously must rebuild and develop a passing game at both quarterback and wide receiver while relying on a defense that looks like it can play at a championship level.

But there's an old saying in football that things are not quite as good as they seem or as bad as they seem, but somewhere in between. I can almost assure you that Bob Stoops will have Oklahoma very much in contention for the Big 12 championship.

However, make no mistake about it – the Sooners are the underdog in the Big 12 South this time, not the favorite.

Terry Bowden is Yahoo! Sports' college football analyst. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column.

Updated on Tuesday, Sep 6, 2005 12:56 am EDT

Doomsday101

Reaction score
OUch did not look good at all, QB is taking the heat but as an overall team OUch looked like ****

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
The team was not ready to play. That onus is on Stoops. People in Norman are hating on Chuck Long. The guy shows up to call an offensive game plan but all of his calls never put his QB's in position to do anything. I saw Bomar make one great run but after that nothing. No bootlegs ....nothing.

Still a bit soured on the whole gameplan. I hope we get it together soon.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
TCU has a better program than they get credit for...

OU has the better talent, but were just outcoached last Saturday...

Losing to TCU is not an embarrasment... OU will be back...

Roughneck

Reaction score
trickblue said:
I disagree trick. Losing to an unranked team, who didn't even make a Bowl Game last year, at home when you're the 7th-ranked team in the nation is embarrassing. There's no getting around that. Will OU be back? Absolutely. As early as next season, they'll once again be a legit threat for the National Title. But they aren't this year and you can point to their embarrassing performance on Saturday as reason why.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Roughneck said:
I disagree trick. Losing to an unranked team, who didn't even make a Bowl Game last year, at home when you're the 7th-ranked team in the nation is embarrassing. There's no getting around that. Will OU be back? Absolutely. As early as next season, they'll once again be a legit threat for the National Title. But they aren't this year and you can point to their embarrassing performance on Saturday as reason why.

TCU was a bit down last year, but they have three 10 win seasons under their belt recently...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
trickblue said:
TCU has a better program than they get credit for...

OU has the better talent, but were just outcoached last Saturday...

When your a top 10 team and get beat by an unranked team it is a bit of an embarrasment. Especially when it happens on your own home field

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
trickblue said:
TCU was a bit down last year, but they have three 10 win seasons under their belt recently...

I agree with you. My best buddy goes to TCU, I live about 25 minutes away, and since my own school has no team, I find myself rooting for the Frogs.

Last year was odd for them, but for 3-4 seasons before that, they were a very good team. If Patterson has them in the same form they were in 3 years ago, of course they will be tough to beat. Last year was odd because their defense, which was normally stout, was poor. Patterson, being the defensive guru he is, won't have that.

Don't forget that this was the team in the top ten a few years ago without being in a BCS conference. The team has been good since the days of Francione.