Sorensen not sweating NFL draft

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Article CoSorensen not sweating NFL draft
Article Comments DAN RALPH
http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/s...draft_cdns22/GSStory/GlobeSportsFootball/home
Canadian Press

April 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM EDT

Justin Sorensen won't be sweating it out this weekend, anxiously watching the NFL draft on television or following it on the Internet to see what direction his pro football career will take.

Instead, the South Carolina Gamecocks' hulking six-foot-seven, 320-pound offensive tackle from Vancouver Island, B.C., will be enjoying himself playing golf.
"I doubt I'll even watch it," Sorensen said Wednesday. "I'll be out on the links.

"I don't even want to worry about it. If it happens, it happens. I know a lot of guys are nervous about it but I'm not because either way I'll be playing football next year."

Sorensen has a good reason to take such a nonchalant approach. While he's projected to be selected in the late rounds of the NFL draft or signed as an undrafted free agent, Sorensen heads into the weekend with the security knowing he's also highly regarded by the CFL's B.C. Lions, who selected Sorensen fifth overall in last year's Canadian college draft.

So if no NFL team comes calling, Sorensen can still look forward to a pro career in his native country and in his home province. But that doesn't mean Sorensen would turn down an opportunity to play in the NFL.

"If I got the chance (to attend an NFL camp) I'd try my hardest," he said. "I'd really like to get the opportunity but if it doesn't happen I'm not going to be heartbroken about it.

"I'd love to play in the CFL, too."

Sorensen was a starter the last 2 1/2 seasons at South Carolina under head coach Steve Spurrier, the celebrated former Florida Gators coach who joined the Gamecocks in 2005 after two seasons with the NFL's Washington Commanders.

And this off-season Sorensen garnered interest from both the Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots, working out for each NFL squad.

Sorensen says NFL officials have told him his strengths are his size and football intelligence but also that he sometimes plays too stiff and must learn to bend more to be successful at the next level.

However, Sorensen, 22, feels that after five seasons at South Carolina — he was redshirted his first year there — he's ready to make the leap into the pro ranks.

"I'm definitely ready to move on to bigger things," he said.

Another Canadian projected as a late-round draftee or free-agent prospect is Jamaal Westerman of Rutgers, a six-foot-three, 257-pound defensive end from Brampton, Ont.

Westerman appeared in 50 games for Rutgers, recording 141 tackles — including 44.5 for losses — with 26 sacks. He had six sacks this past season despite being hampered by a torn biceps injury that required season-ending surgery and forced him to miss the PapaJohns.com Bowl.

However, Westerman was healthy enough to participate in Rutgers' pro day last month before NFL scouts. He posted a 40-yard dash time of 4.78 seconds, a vertical jump of 36.5 inches and bench-pressed 225 pounds a solid 20 times.

He also met this off-season with the Chicago Bears and is being projected as either a speed-rushing defensive end or hybrid linebacker.

Other draft-eligible Canadians include Boise State offensive guard Andrew Woodruff of Victoria, Buffalo defensive tackle Roland Hilaire of Laval, Que., Central Michigan offensive tackle Greg Wojt of Mississauga, Ont., Kansas defensive back Tang Bacheyie of Windsor, Ont., Western Michigan linebacker Fernand Kashama of Toronto; and South Carolina offensive guard Gurminder Thind of Mississauga, Ont.

Illinois State centre Jonathan St-Pierre, of Longueuil, Que., had been eligible, but signed a three-year deal recently with the CFL's Saskatchewan Roughriders.

An interesting Canadian prospect is defensive lineman Vaughn Martin of the University of Western Ontario Mustangs. The 22-year-old left school with three years of eligibility remaining to declare for this year's NFL draft.

Martin isn't eligible for the CFL Canadian college draft until 2011.

At his pro day, the six-foot-three, 328-pound Martin bench-pressed 225 pounds 32 times and posted a 40-yard dash time of 5.04 seconds.

Martin, 22, can return to Western if he's not drafted by an NFL club. But according to a published report he will pursue a career south of the border even if he's not drafted.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2741151 said:
Article CoSorensen not sweating NFL draft
Article Comments DAN RALPH
http://sports.theglobeandmail.com/s...draft_cdns22/GSStory/GlobeSportsFootball/home
Canadian Press

Justin Sorensen won't be sweating it out this weekend, anxiously watching the NFL draft on television or following it on the Internet to see what direction his pro football career will take.

Instead, the South Carolina Gamecocks' hulking six-foot-seven, 320-pound offensive tackle from Vancouver Island, B.C., will be enjoying himself playing golf.
"I doubt I'll even watch it," Sorensen said Wednesday. "I'll be out on the links.

"I don't even want to worry about it. If it happens, it happens. I know a lot of guys are nervous about it but I'm not because either way I'll be playing football next year."

Sorensen has a good reason to take such a nonchalant approach. While he's projected to be selected in the late rounds of the NFL draft or signed as an undrafted free agent, Sorensen heads into the weekend with the security knowing he's also highly regarded by the CFL's B.C. Lions, who selected Sorensen fifth overall in last year's Canadian college draft.

So if no NFL team comes calling, Sorensen can still look forward to a pro career in his native country and in his home province. But that doesn't mean Sorensen would turn down an opportunity to play in the NFL.

"If I got the chance (to attend an NFL camp) I'd try my hardest," he said. "I'd really like to get the opportunity but if it doesn't happen I'm not going to be heartbroken about it.

"I'd love to play in the CFL, too."

Sorensen was a starter the last 2 1/2 seasons at South Carolina under head coach Steve Spurrier, the celebrated former Florida Gators coach who joined the Gamecocks in 2005 after two seasons with the NFL's Washington Commanders.

And this off-season Sorensen garnered interest from both the Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots, working out for each NFL squad.

Sorensen says NFL officials have told him his strengths are his size and football intelligence but also that he sometimes plays too stiff and must learn to bend more to be successful at the next level.

However, Sorensen, 22, feels that after five seasons at South Carolina — he was redshirted his first year there — he's ready to make the leap into the pro ranks.

"I'm definitely ready to move on to bigger things," he said.

Another Canadian projected as a late-round draftee or free-agent prospect is Jamaal Westerman of Rutgers, a six-foot-three, 257-pound defensive end from Brampton, Ont.

Westerman appeared in 50 games for Rutgers, recording 141 tackles — including 44.5 for losses — with 26 sacks. He had six sacks this past season despite being hampered by a torn biceps injury that required season-ending surgery and forced him to miss the PapaJohns.com Bowl.

However, Westerman was healthy enough to participate in Rutgers' pro day last month before NFL scouts. He posted a 40-yard dash time of 4.78 seconds, a vertical jump of 36.5 inches and bench-pressed 225 pounds a solid 20 times.

He also met this off-season with the Chicago Bears and is being projected as either a speed-rushing defensive end or hybrid linebacker.

Other draft-eligible Canadians include Boise State offensive guard Andrew Woodruff of Victoria, Buffalo defensive tackle Roland Hilaire of Laval, Que., Central Michigan offensive tackle Greg Wojt of Mississauga, Ont., Kansas defensive back Tang Bacheyie of Windsor, Ont., Western Michigan linebacker Fernand Kashama of Toronto; and South Carolina offensive guard Gurminder Thind of Mississauga, Ont.

Illinois State centre Jonathan St-Pierre, of Longueuil, Que., had been eligible, but signed a three-year deal recently with the CFL's Saskatchewan Roughriders.

An interesting Canadian prospect is defensive lineman Vaughn Martin of the University of Western Ontario Mustangs. The 22-year-old left school with three years of eligibility remaining to declare for this year's NFL draft.

Martin isn't eligible for the CFL Canadian college draft until 2011.

At his pro day, the six-foot-three, 328-pound Martin bench-pressed 225 pounds 32 times and posted a 40-yard dash time of 5.04 seconds.

Martin, 22, can return to Western if he's not drafted by an NFL club. But according to a published report he will pursue a career south of the border even if he's not drafted.

That Martin kid is a big ole boy, must be a DT.