News: Spagnola: Keeping Hands To Themselves In OTA

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
This doesn't bode well for Kelvin Joseph. Is this why the Cowboys are trying Joseph at the Slot CB and some Safety? What are Joseph's chances he sticks with the team after 2023 or gets traded?

I would like to trade Joseph. I'd take a 7 for him. That said, he's probably a likely cut. And by cut, I mean after TC. I think he will have to really play well on special teams in preseason to make the team.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
With Diggs holding down one of the CB spots, I never thought Gilmore was the other starter. There’s too much talent with Lewis, Joseph, I guess now Scott. Plus they have Wright.

I supposed if Gilmore does start and Lewis/Joseph are the slots it makes sense to try Scott on the outside to backup Gilmore. Is Daron Bland any good?

Bland is a solid player. I could see our CBs being Diggs, Gilmore, Bland, Scott, Lewis, and maybe Wright. I think Joseph likely gets cut.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Bland is a solid player. I could see our CBs being Diggs, Gilmore, Bland, Scott, Lewis, and maybe Wright. I think Joseph likely gets cut.
This is what infuriates me with having Goodwin taking up a roster spot. How can we not find a guy who has postional value to take his spot?

Id be more than willing to sacrifice what marginal benefit he adds to special teams if it meant keeping a guy who could actually play corner, safety, wide receiver or even rb.

Heck, Id even go so far as to say Id rather hand Vaughn his spot...maybe.

How can a guy like Bell, Mukumura, Joseph, Wright or the new guy Scott not be able to do what Goodwin does? Or be coached up to do it.

If it were me, being able to actually play a position comes first. Then you play special teams. Goodwin is a wasted roster spot if you ask me.

Turpin is questionable as well. But fielding punts is a true skill that not everyone can do. Or it takes time to develop.

And it does look like they may be giving him more looks on offense. So if he can add value there, then Im good with it.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
With Diggs holding down one of the CB spots, I never thought Gilmore was the other starter. There’s too much talent with Lewis, Joseph, I guess now Scott. Plus they have Wright.

I supposed if Gilmore does start and Lewis/Joseph are the slots it makes sense to try Scott on the outside to backup Gilmore. Is Daron Bland any good?
?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good to have some actually football related news.

I hope Scott really works out. For now the last CB spot may be between Wright and Joseph. Neither one stands out to me. So will see how they do in TC competing for a spot on the roster.
It will come down to who plays better on ST's.

I would still like to see Deuce fielding PR's and KO's to see what he has.

Toro9

Reaction score
Mickey's okay but his articles are more like chapters. He should write a book. Has he? Nick Eatman has written a few.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Pretty sure they're just slim, all things considered. His propensity for making mistakes isn't his friend. :rolleyes:
I think his best chance is to make Goodwin expendable in ST, that way he can stick around for another year or two.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Only if the struggle continue at CB and Cowboys find someone to take his role on special teams.
There’s really no one else, Lewis was injured, Brown was injured and gone. It’s Scott and Bland behind the starters.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I like Wright. I hope him and and Joseph come on. The team really needs them. If Scott works out that would be great, also Bland played pretty well last year.
Yeah Bland is a good player he's the least of my concerns. I saw enough from him last year to feel good about his future here. Wright and Joseph are the mystery but I'm rooting or them both. IF they can hit on one of them that would be great. Both would be even better. Just have them waiting in the wings for when Gilmore leaves.

Big_D

Reaction score
Remember Reggie Robinson.
Sure but this D is light years better than it was just a few short years ago when Robinson was here which should benefit the younger guys. I also remember Daron Bland so not every player is built the same so we’ll see if he can earn a spot.

LysleE

Reaction score
I get the impression that the Cowboys are trying to find a spot that Kelvin Joseph can handle capably. I honestly suspect he's on the bubble.
Agreed…I think the FO is trying to give him every opportunity to become a starter on the defense given he was a second round pick.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Keeping hands to themselves is a good thing. That's how that knucklehead from last year got McCarthy fined, and could have cost us a draft pick, from his antics. Yet, everyone was sad to see the JAG go to the Commanders.

Must be a new guy.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
This doesn't bode well for Kelvin Joseph. Is this why the Cowboys are trying Joseph at the Slot CB and some Safety? What are Joseph's chances he sticks with the team after 2023 or gets traded?
I think trying different guys in adjacent roles is just what they do. Now is the time to experiment and see what works so in a game they are ready when injuries happen..

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I get the impression that the Cowboys are trying to find a spot that Kelvin Joseph can handle capably. I honestly suspect he's on the bubble.
I think they want him to play everywhere in the secondary so they can keep him on for STs. Same role as CJ Goodwin.

He certainly has the athletic ability to do it.