Career Stats | Game Logs: 01 02 03 04 | Situational Stats | Team Roster

DEFENSIVE STATS

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def
2001 New England Patriots 13 44 25.0 19 3 0 0 0.0 0 0 1
2002 New England Patriots 16 56 33.0 23 5.5 1 6 6.0 6 0 2
2003 New England Patriots 15 57 34.0 23 8 0 0 0.0 0 0 8
2004 New England Patriots 15 39 24.0 15 5 0 0 0.0 0 0 0
TOTAL 59 196 116.0 80 21.5 1 6 6.0 6 0 11

I'm reading but Spears is not a high Sack count End. Neither is Seymour, he's averaged 5 in his career but is an All Pro. But they both are disruptive football players. Seymour a 310 pound DE - Spears is already over 300. Same player, same value - In A 3-4 DEFENSE.

We stick in 4-3 bring Dat Dude back and stoke up the small LB grill, more Al S, and Dex on the edges :rolleyes:

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Marcus Spears
DE, LSU
War Room analysis
Strengths: Is freakishly athletic with great agility and instincts. Shows great power as a pass rusher. Is versatile enough to play in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme. Has the strength to push back offensive linemen. Once past blockers, shows impressive burst to the quarterback.

Weaknesses: Might not be fast enough to be a consistent edge pass rusher or strong enough to play inside. Must improve upon technique and ability to shed blockers.

Bottom line: Spears' athleticism will allow an NFL team to move him around. He can play end on running downs and tackle on passing downs. His production will improve with better technique and more experience. He should be selected in the latter part of Round 1 or early in Round 2.

Dan Pompei analysis
Is a big, athletic, agile end who could fit in a 3-4. Has good strength but doesn't always use it. Lacks polish and is somewhat inconsistent.

rw54

Reaction score
I agree that Spears is what we are looking for. But I like him as a 4-3 tackle. Put him and Glover in there and we would have a good pass rush. Put him at end in a 3-4 and his athletic ability is wasted. I also like another one of your guys Anthony Bryant. I hate the 3-4 though. We seem to agree on the players, and that Zimmer must go, but not on the 3-4. I haven't seen your take on Justin Tuck?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
rw54 said:
I agree that Spears is what we are looking for. But I like him as a 4-3 tackle. Put him and Glover in there and we would have a good pass rush. Put him at end in a 3-4 and his athletic ability is wasted. I also like another one of your guys Anthony Bryant. I hate the 3-4 though. We seem to agree on the players, and that Zimmer must go, but not on the 3-4. I haven't seen your take on Justin Tuck?

Honestly have not watched much ND this season and his injury has me concerned. I'm not so high on Erasmus Jones. The DE/OLB that is starting to jump up my Board is Demarcus Ware. He's dominating OT's at the Senior Bowl. One play he bull rushed, grabbed the Tackle and body slammed him. For a supposed Tweener that made my antlers go up!

He is handling LB coverage. Up to 247 - He reminds me of Haley. I hope he drops to 4 for us but doubt it!

zagnut

Reaction score
Would love to get Spears, especially if we can get him with the later first. I'd be happy with Shaun Cody, either or, but Spears seems the more naturally strong player. It's hard to decide, but I definitely want to see us pay attention to the DL with some established guys from highly competitive conferences. NO Fort Valley State/McNeese State BS.

I thought Spears had 9 sacks this year. Pretty good sack numbers considering he was the focus of the OL attention. Has 4 career interceptions with 2 returned for TDs -- better than Newman! :)

He's a leader and does the dirty work. Makes others better. Would be a great DE in the 3-4 and is bigger than a lot of the 4-3 tackles in this year's draft.

Champsheart

Reaction score
Nors said:
Honestly have not watched much ND this season and his injury has me concerned. I'm not so high on Erasmus Jones. The DE/OLB that is starting to jump up my Board is Demarcus Ware. He's dominating OT's at the Senior Bowl. One play he bull rushed, grabbed the Tackle and body slammed him. For a supposed Tweener that made my antlers go up!

He is handling LB coverage. Up to 247 - He reminds me of Haley. I hope he drops to 4 for us but doubt it!

I am with you on this Ware kid, although I really want to see him in this game first before I totally pass judgement.
I know it was just practice, but he is the only guy that stood out to me in the televised practice session this week.
He looked quick, instinctive, and had good leverage.

No way he drops to 4. As a matter of fact it sounds as if he is jumping up everyone's board, and rumblings are he could go at the bottom of round 1, or top of round 2.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nors said:
# 93 Richard Seymour
Position: DE
Height: 6-6
Weight: 310
Born: 10/06/1979
College: Georgia
NFL Experience: 4

Career Stats | Game Logs: 01 02 03 04 | Situational Stats | Team Roster

DEFENSIVE STATS

Year Team G Total Tckl Ast Sacks Int Yds Avg Lg TD Pass Def
2001 New England Patriots 13 44 25.0 19 3 0 0 0.0 0 0 1
2002 New England Patriots 16 56 33.0 23 5.5 1 6 6.0 6 0 2
2003 New England Patriots 15 57 34.0 23 8 0 0 0.0 0 0 8
2004 New England Patriots 15 39 24.0 15 5 0 0 0.0 0 0 0
TOTAL 59 196 116.0 80 21.5 1 6 6.0 6 0 11

I'm reading but Spears is not a high Sack count End. Neither is Seymour, he's averaged 5 in his career but is an All Pro. But they both are disruptive football players. Seymour a 310 pound DE - Spears is already over 300. Same player, same value - In A 3-4 DEFENSE.

We stick in 4-3 bring Dat Dude back and stoke up the small LB grill, more Al S, and Dex on the edges :rolleyes:

Spears is nowhere near as talented or as disruptive as Seymour Nors....

David

TDHND

Reaction score
As a huge ND fan I like Tuck a lot and was hoping he'd come back for his last year. He's ND's all-time career sack leader and they don't play week opponents,so that should tell you something. Yes he's been injured and has missed some games,but he should be back to full strength by now or close to it. He's a stud. Spears is tough as well. James missed some games this season too if I remember right.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
Spears is nowhere near as talented or as disruptive as Seymour Nors....

David
Totally agree... Spears will likely be a very solid pro and I'd take him on our team in a heartbeat, but he's not nearly as disruptive as Seymour.

"Freakishly athletic" is hardly the way I would describe Spears. Frankly, he looks like a good hold-the-fort 34 DE to me.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Totally agree... Spears will likely be a very solid pro and I'd take him on our team in a heartbeat, but he's not nearly as disruptive as Seymour.

"Freakishly athletic" is hardly the way I would describe Spears. Frankly, he looks like a good hold-the-fort 34 DE to me.

I agree, I wouldnt go ape if we draft him at 20, but I havent seen anything from him that makes me think he is a "special" player...

David

Champsheart

Reaction score
Champsheart said:
I am with you on this Ware kid, although I really want to see him in this game first before I totally pass judgement.
I know it was just practice, but he is the only guy that stood out to me in the televised practice session this week.
He looked quick, instinctive, and had good leverage.

No way he drops to 4. As a matter of fact it sounds as if he is jumping up everyone's board, and rumblings are he could go at the bottom of round 1, or top of round 2.

Well, I said I would wait until the game to pass judgement, and Ware was a no show. In fairness to him though they played him at DE in a 4-3, and I think he definetly is a 3-4 Outside LBer. Still I was a little disappointed.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
i think spears is gonna make a good pro. he's got the size and strength to excel at the next level. IMO, he'd fit either base defense. get this guy.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Seymour measured at 6-4 5/8, 301 pounds, coming out of college. Spears measured at 6-3 3/8, 302 pounds.

Seymour had 9.5 sacks, 34 tackles for loss and one interception in his career at Georgia. Spears had 19 sacks, 34.5 tackles for loss and four interceptions in his career at LSU.

Seymour wasn't a regular starter until his junior season. In his final two seasons, he had 5.5 sacks, 25 tackles for loss and one interception (in 21 games). Spears had 15 sacks, 30 tackles for loss and two interceptions (in 26 games).

The LSU Web site says Spears ran a 4.8 last spring. Seymour ran a 4.87.

So, the comparisons to Seymour might not be so far-fetched. Not that Spears definitely will be as good in the NFL as Seymour has been, but he does seem to be a comparable prospect coming out of college.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
Seymour measured at 6-4 5/8, 301 pounds, coming out of college. Spears measured at 6-3 3/8, 302 pounds.

Seymour had 9.5 sacks, 34 tackles for loss and one interception in his career at Georgia. Spears had 19 sacks, 34.5 tackles for loss and four interceptions in his career at LSU.

Seymour wasn't a regular starter until his junior season. In his final two seasons, he had 5.5 sacks, 25 tackles for loss and one interception (in 21 games). Spears had 15 sacks, 30 tackles for loss and two interceptions (in 26 games).

The LSU Web site says Spears ran a 4.8 last spring. Seymour ran a 4.87.

So, the comparisons to Seymour might not be so far-fetched. Not that Spears definitely will be as good in the NFL as Seymour has been, but he does seem to be a comparable prospect coming out of college.

Seymour is an inch taller, and had more DT experience. Spears more productive in college. Very similar players and both project as 3-4 DE's. Not a glamorous job per see but very valuable when you can get a disruptive Big kid to play it! He's on my wish list at 20.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Another guy who was comparable to Seymour and Spears coming out of college was Kevin Williams. Again, like Seymour, the biggest differences between Williams and Spears is that Williams is a little taller and had experience at tackle (although he also played end).

Here are all three players' numbers --

HEIGHT/WEIGHT
Seymour 6-4 5/8, 301 pounds
Williams 6-4 7/8, 304 pounds
Spears 6-3 3/8, 302 pounds

40-YARD DASH TIME
Seymour 4.87
Williams 4.84
Spears 4.8

SACKS IN FINAL TWO SEASONS
Seymour 5.5 in 21 games
Williams 12.5 in 24 games
Spears 15.0 in 26 games

TACKLES FOR LOSS IN FINAL TWO SEASONS
Seymour 25 in 21 games
Williams 25 in 24 games
Spears 30 in 26 games

CAREER SACKS
Seymour 9.5
Williams 18.5
Spears 19.0

CAREER TACKLES FOR LOSS
Seymour 34
Williams 38
Spears 34.5

CAREER INTERCEPTIONS
Seymour 1
Williams 0
Spears 4

It should be noted that Seymour started only four games before his junior season and started 25 of 41 games in his career. Spears didn't start until his sophomore season (as a freshman, he played fullback, tight end and defensive end) and started 38 of 50 games in his career. And Williams started all 11 games as a redshirt freshman and 42 of 46 for his career. That's why I gave the breakdown of their final two seasons.

Again, I'm not saying Spears should be drafted as high as either Williams or Seymour were, and I'm not saying he'll be as good. I'm just saying that he's quite similar to those guys coming out of college. Both of them have been effective playing tackle and end in the NFL (Seymour has played both when the Pats have used the 4-3, and he has played end and nose tackle when they've used the 3-4).

ddh33

Reaction score
That's some great stuff, Adam.

I'm a big Spears fan. I just saw a guy that other teams schemed for, and he still managed to be a game-changer a lot of times. I think he would be a great fit here. His versatility is really intriguing.