Special teams

joseephuss

Reaction score
If Rivera is hired, I hope he brings the Bears special teams coach with him. Devon Hester did a lot of great individual things and can make any coach look good, but I noticed that the entire coverage and return teams for the Bears looked pretty good. They created good holes on the return team to let Hester get through the initial wave of defenders before he did his individual thing. The Bears have a good kicker and good punter. Part of it is good talent and the rest is good coaching. Bruce DeHaven wasn't bad, but the special team were not that great either. It can be better.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
joseephuss;1361986 said:
If Rivera is hired, I hope he brings the Bears special teams coach with him. Devon Hester did a lot of great individual things and can make any coach look good, but I noticed that the entire coverage and return teams for the Bears looked pretty good. They created good holes on the return team to let Hester get through the initial wave of defenders before he did his individual thing. The Bears have a good kicker and good punter. Part of it is good talent and the rest is good coaching. Bruce DeHaven wasn't bad, but the special team were not that great either. It can be better.

I don't know the answer so it is why I am asking.

Is their current ST coach under contract right now?

In other words is it even possible for us to get him now?

NinePointOh

Reaction score
It was reported that the ST coach, like Rivera, had a contract that would expire after the Super Bowl.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1361988 said:
I don't know the answer so it is why I am asking.

Is their current ST coach under contract right now?

In other words is it even possible for us to get him now?

his contract runs out...I think I read there are 3 teams without a special teams coach, and Philly is one of them...he has long been rumored to be headed to Philly

David

brewers47

Reaction score

joseephuss

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;1362066 said:
How about bringing Coach Joe back?.

I don't like it. Avezzano's special teams became average at best in his last few years in Dallas. The coverage teams started to slip quite a bit in those waning seasons. DeHaven was a step up. Now Dallas needs to take another step. I think the Bears coach is a good choice, but whomever it is they need to get to another level.