Sports beyond high school

Mikexike

Reaction score
I'm very curious as to how many on here have actually played a team sport past the high school level??

csirl

Reaction score
Played football until I was 30 - domestic league in Europe. We find it strange that most Americans dont continue playing beyond high school - surely many enjoy playing and dont want to quit?

joseephuss

Reaction score
Played football until I was 30 - domestic league in Europe. We find it strange that most Americans dont continue playing beyond high school - surely many enjoy playing and dont want to quit?
I think football is one of the most difficult sports to continue playing beyond high school. It costs a lot to provide the helmets and pads as well as the fields and refs. I still play organized soccer and it is far easier to put leagues and games together.

Mikexike

Reaction score
I think football is one of the most difficult sports to continue playing beyond high school. It costs a lot to provide the helmets and pads as well as the fields and refs. I still play organized soccer and it is far easier to put leagues and games together.
Yes, Going from High school to College is a major leap in talent and cost.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Yes, Going from High school to College is a major leap in talent and cost.
Not just college. There are amateur city leagues and low-end semi-pro leagues, and each has a significant amount of money to run. It is cheaper and far easier on the body to organize flag football than good old tackle football.

csirl

Reaction score
Even so, Im surprised there arent a lot more local amateur leagues. Yes, costs more than soccer, but its not overly expensive. I was a GM of an amateur team myself for a number of years. Some local fundraising, players paying a membership fee, some volunteers helping run the club etc and its very viable. Its probably more expensive in Europe than the US as (i) equipment has to be imported and (2) you cant just hire a football field from a high school - you have to rent a soccer, rugby etc venue and buy your own posts and field equipment.