Sports coverage trend

littlewebs

Everything I type is a lie. Except that. And that.
Reaction score
Lately, I've been noticing something on ESPN and other sports networks that is starting to bother me quite a bit. I'm sure many posters on here have noticed it as well. What I'm talking about is placing "a" or "an" in front of every player's name when refering to them. Some examples:
"If the elite defensive prospects are all taken, the Jets may be able to grab a Matt Leinart a little later."
"I'm not sure you can replace a Terrell Owens if you're the Eagles."
"How do you gameplan to stop a Dwyane Wade if you're Detroit?"

I can't stand this. When did this become popular amongst sports anchors? Are they implying there are multiple Matt Leinarts, Terrell Owenses and Dwyane Wades, but are only referring to one of them? Of course not, but they continue to talk like this. The draft preview guys are the worst, but I'm hearing it more and more with already established players. JUST CALL THEM BY THEIR NAME!!!

Does this bother anyone else? Please tell me I'm not alone.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from, but I think they are saying them and anyone comparable to them. I guess it is easier than naming out all the possible players tht are comparable to say Terrel Owens.

bad english, but it does not bother me.

littlewebs

Everything I type is a lie. Except that. And that.
Reaction score
RW Hitman said:
I understand where you are coming from, but I think they are saying them and anyone comparable to them. I guess it is easier than naming out all the possible players tht are comparable to say Terrel Owens.

bad english, but it does not bother me.

I guess what bugs me the most is there is no one comparable to a lot of the players they mention. Who is comparable to Reggie Bush? Shaq? TO? These are one of a kind players and they refer to them like they must not be that good or something.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
littlewebs said:
I guess what bugs me the most is there is no one comparable to a lot of the players they mention. Who is comparable to Reggie Bush? Shaq? TO? These are one of a kind players and they refer to them like they must not be that good or something.

Bush has been compared to Brian Westbrook, and Marshall Faulk.

Shaq is comparable as far as dominace to Wilt.

TO is comparable as far as technique to Rice.

These guys are saying that in comparison to guys with similar skill sets, what do you think of...

arglebargle

Reaction score
With so much pressure to cram things into tiny time windows, it would take too long for them to say 'grab a player comparable to Matt Leinert'. That, and maybe they are just getting lazy and sloppy...

Silver Bullet

Reaction score
It's as annoying as some of the players introductions on MNF.

The U..!

The Ohio State University...!

The Michigan Wolverines...!

:mad:

dal0789

Reaction score
Silver Bullet said:
It's as annoying as some of the players introductions on MNF.

The U..!

The Ohio State University...!

The Michigan Wolverines...!

:mad:

I HATE when players (usually Commanders) say "The U". I loved 'dat dude" lmao it cracked me up lmao :lmao2:

aznhalf

Reaction score
I hate the guys that say their high school teams instead of college just to be different. It really isn't that clever.

There was one guy who announced himself by his Elementary school. If he was making fun of the players who alluded to their HS teams(which I assumed he was) it was pretty funny.