Sport's Pre-combine mock draft

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score

1. Round 1 (Pick #27): OG Mike Iupati, Idaho

The Cowboys showed a lot of interest in him at the Senior Bowl. He will instantly compete for the starting LG spot in training camp with Kosier and let the best man win. Competition is best for the team, just look at Mike Jenkins. Kosier is in a contract year and likely will not be re-signed after the 2010 season.

2. Round 2 (#59 overall): CB/KR Kyle Wilson, Boise State

The Cowboys showed interest at the Senior Bowl and he's a very versatile player who can play corner, as well as return kickoffs. We may have to move up to get him, as he was the talk of the Senior Bowl. If Felix is going to become the centerpiece of our offense, we need an explosive kickoff returner. We were below-average in kickoff returns anyway last season. Alan Ball is a restricted free agent and Newman isn't exactly a spring chicken. I do believe that every team should draft a cornerback every year.

3. Round 3 (#90 overall): DT Terrence Cody, Alabama

This is the first draft in a while where I really have no idea where the Cowboys will go. With that being said, if this mammoth of a defensive lineman is still on the board in the 3rd round, the Cowboys must draft him. Yes, he's overweight and all of that, and he could slide to the 3rd round because of that, but backup defensive tackle is a need, and you can never have enough defensive linemen. Cody would allow the Cowboys to give Ratliff some rest and give a change of pace at DT. The great thing about Cody is that he's just not big, but he has an explosive motor as well. Sign me up with Cody.

4. Round 4 (#122 overall): RB Ben Tate, Auburn

A Marion Barber or Tashard Choice trade may be in the works, so Ben Tate is the perfect compliment to a healthy Felix Jones, who will most likely be the starting runningback in 2010. I'm not sure what the Cowboys could get for Barber (maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick?), but you cannot pass up a younger version of Barber with loads of potential.

5. Round 6 (#186 overall): FS Robert Johnson, Utah

Mike Hamlin is the wildcard here, but with Sensabaugh likely being tendered and Ken Hamlin not a certainty to return to Dallas in 2010, the Cowboys need to cover themselves. The Cowboys could land a safety earlier if Iupati is drafted earlier, such as Earl Thomas, but Johnson had a strong senior campaign and MAKES PLAYS, something the Cowboys FS hasn't done since God knows when.

6. Round 7 (#217 overall): C Chris Hall, Texas

A versatile player who has played every position on the offensive line. Hopefully Hall can beat out Proctor AND McQuistan, because of his versatility.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Terrance Cody in Rd 3? Johnson in Rd 5?

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
DFWJC;3271134 said:

I think both of those picks will be determined by the combine. That's why it's a pre-combine mock. NFLDC has Johnson as the 28th ranked safety, so the 6th round isn't totally off right now. Cody's stock will go up or down depending on the combine. He already cost himself millions of dollars when he took his shirt off.

kevwun

Reaction score
Chris Hall is going to seminary school, so that's not happening which a good thing because he's not good enough for the NFL.

DFWJC

Reaction score
TheSport78;3271143 said:
He already cost himself millions of dollars when he took his shirt off.
:p: Not a pretty site.

The combines are huge for sure. But recall that the other guy from Bama did the same thing last season and he still ended up going where expected.
Cody goes anywhere from mid Rd1 to mid Rd 2, imo.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I like it but Wilson and Cody will not drop that far to us in those rounds in my opinion.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
DFWJC;3271134 said:

Did I miss something? Why are some people so hot on Johnson suddenly?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know how realistic that draft is, but I could live with the first four picks.

Don't know much about the FS to say good or bad and I know nothing of that Center.

Reaction score
TheSport78;3271107 said:

1. Round 1 (Pick #27): OG Mike Iupati, Idaho

The Cowboys showed a lot of interest in him at the Senior Bowl. He will instantly compete for the starting LG spot in training camp with Kosier and let the best man win. Competition is best for the team, just look at Mike Jenkins. Kosier is in a contract year and likely will not be re-signed after the 2010 season.

2. Round 2 (#59 overall): CB/KR Kyle Wilson, Boise State

The Cowboys showed interest at the Senior Bowl and he's a very versatile player who can play corner, as well as return kickoffs. We may have to move up to get him, as he was the talk of the Senior Bowl. If Felix is going to become the centerpiece of our offense, we need an explosive kickoff returner. We were below-average in kickoff returns anyway last season. Alan Ball is a restricted free agent and Newman isn't exactly a spring chicken. I do believe that every team should draft a cornerback every year.

3. Round 3 (#90 overall): DT Terrence Cody, Alabama

This is the first draft in a while where I really have no idea where the Cowboys will go. With that being said, if this mammoth of a defensive lineman is still on the board in the 3rd round, the Cowboys must draft him. Yes, he's overweight and all of that, and he could slide to the 3rd round because of that, but backup defensive tackle is a need, and you can never have enough defensive linemen. Cody would allow the Cowboys to give Ratliff some rest and give a change of pace at DT. The great thing about Cody is that he's just not big, but he has an explosive motor as well. Sign me up with Cody.

4. Round 4 (#122 overall): RB Ben Tate, Auburn

A Marion Barber or Tashard Choice trade may be in the works, so Ben Tate is the perfect compliment to a healthy Felix Jones, who will most likely be the starting runningback in 2010. I'm not sure what the Cowboys could get for Barber (maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick?), but you cannot pass up a younger version of Barber with loads of potential.

5. Round 6 (#186 overall): FS Robert Johnson, Utah

Mike Hamlin is the wildcard here, but with Sensabaugh likely being tendered and Ken Hamlin not a certainty to return to Dallas in 2010, the Cowboys need to cover themselves. The Cowboys could land a safety earlier if Iupati is drafted earlier, such as Earl Thomas, but Johnson had a strong senior campaign and MAKES PLAYS, something the Cowboys FS hasn't done since God knows when.

6. Round 7 (#217 overall): C Chris Hall, Texas

A versatile player who has played every position on the offensive line. Hopefully Hall can beat out Proctor AND McQuistan, because of his versatility.

Like it but i think you chose Cody 2nd Javier Arenas 3rd, Johnson 4th, Rolle 5th, and trade down ur picks from here.

Trade barber for 3rd and hurd for 5th or 6th:D