Spurs vs. Mavs... who will win the West?

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
The NBA is entering it's most interesting time of year... with just a month left in the regular season, who do you think will win the Western Conference... Dallas Mavs or SA Spurs?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I just hope Tim Duncan gets healthy.

Dallas is better but they still get into those 100+ point nights. AJ hasn't given them SA defense yet. And I still think its bizarre having your best outside shooter at 7 feet. Dude should be taking it to the paint if they want some rings. Bowen can easily shut Dirk down and collapse that offense.

Phoenix still has no D.

I think the team to beat is in the east. Miami or Detroit. San Antonio makes it to the Finals again as long as Duncan can make it.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I'm just really impressed with Parker's maturity this year. He's really grown as a player. And he hasn't let Eva distract him... which is quite an accomplishment. I don't think I'd be able to walk straight after spending time with that tigress!

It's also amazing that they are putting up one of their best seasons with minimal input from Finley and hardly anything from Van Exel.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Spurs starting to pull away. One last matchup against Dallas next week. Should be a dandy.

Stoudemire has re-injured that knee. There goes Phoenix. But not like they had a chance anyway. When you're giving up 126 points from the Raptors, you ain't winning the Finals.

Still think a rematch of last year's Finals looks like the most likely scenaro. Spurs vs. Pistons. With only Miami as the team that could surprise folks. Heat have been on a tear lately and I always fear a Pat Riley team.

Anyone starting to get a little scared that the Lakers may try to trade for Kevin Garnett? You know how they love big names in Hollywood. Kobe and Kevin. Pretty good duo there.

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
Danny White said:
It's also amazing that they are putting up one of their best seasons with minimal input from Finley and hardly anything from Van Exel.

Finley is starting to play some good basketball. I think he has finally found his comfort zone with the rotation and is shooting and playing with confidence. Around the all-star break, he sat down with Pop and talked about his role. Since that meeting, he's been a different player. He's no longer the superstar he once was, but he's become the bench player that the Spurs wanted him to be. Van Exel on the other hand has been a little disappointing. He's had nagging injuries all year. Luckily, Udrih is becoming a reliable player.

This has been a weird season for the Spurs. Usually, they start mediocre and end in a flurry. They started this season hot, clawed and grinded out victories in the middle and or now starting to build some steam for the playoffs. I've heard a few NBA talking heads mention how the Spurs are not playing like a champion, etc. The funny thing is, right now, they have the best record of any Spurs team in history at this point of the season. They are starting to get healty. I just hope they stay that way.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
In the last 7 games, DAL has gone 2-5 blowing games against NJ, GS, DET, CLE, and awful awful ORL to fall 2.5 games back of SA. We hadn't lost 3 games in a row all season prior to the DET-CLE-ORL fiasco. Whether injuries hurt us or not, the end result is there's no way we'll catch SA for the WC title with their relatively soft remaining schedule. They play SAC, us, and MEM 3 games in a row, but the remaining games are WAS tonight, UT twice, SEA, MIN, ORL, and HOU. 7 out their 10 remaining games are @ home.

wesleyc288

Believer
Reaction score
Well after the loss to Orlando, i just cant see us coming back to win the west without a MAJOR collapse by SA

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Spurs starting to pull away. One last matchup against Dallas next week. Should be a dandy.

Stoudemire has re-injured that knee. There goes Phoenix. But not like they had a chance anyway. When you're giving up 126 points from the Raptors, you ain't winning the Finals.

Still think a rematch of last year's Finals looks like the most likely scenaro. Spurs vs. Pistons. With only Miami as the team that could surprise folks. Heat have been on a tear lately and I always fear a Pat Riley team.

Anyone starting to get a little scared that the Lakers may try to trade for Kevin Garnett? You know how they love big names in Hollywood. Kobe and Kevin. Pretty good duo there.
With Kwame and Odom really coming into their own, I doubt their is gonna be any blockbuster move this season. Watch out for us next year, especially with Bynum and Turiaf coming in with more experiance.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Anyone watching Phoenix and Detroit play today? Pretty impressed with the Suns. They were winning by double digits at once point. I thought the Pistons were gonna blow 'em out but their only 2 points apart with 3 minutes left.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
At this point as a Mavs fan I'm more concerned with players being healthy for the playoffs than seeding. We were just an average team with Howard, Griffin, and Harris out. With a healthy team (except Van Horn) we have a chance to knock off the Spurs. I really wish the seedings weren't so screwy.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
I really don't think it makes much difference, the way the seedings work out. the 1 seed will get Sacramento or LAL maybe, and the 4 seed will get the Clippers. I don't think there's too much difference between the two, SAC and LAL are playing pretty good basketball lately, but none of those three teams should give DAL or SA much trouble. So we'll meet in the second round, with the winner of that likely going to the NBA Finals.

Ren

Reaction score
With SA's loss last nigth this still migth get interesting

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Spurs lock up the West! :toast2:

Best of luck to all the Mavs fans here! I hope both teams stay healthy and meet in the second round. Should be one heck of a matchup!

I'll take the Spurs over the Kings in 5 and Mavs over the Grizz in 6.

Let's say Suns over Lakers in 7 and Clips over Nuggets in 7.