News: ST: Cowboys coach Jason Garrett explains clock management decisions at end of Redskins game

Discussion in 'Overtime Zone' started by NewsBot, Dec 8, 2015.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

92,692 Messages
    2,723 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones criticized Jason Garrett’s clock management at the end of Monday’s win against the Redskins

Garrett said Darren McFadden threw things off kilter when he ran out of bounds, stopping the clock

The Cowboys didn’t instruct McFadden to go down short of the goal line

Click to Continue »

Continue reading...

2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl U.N.I.T.Y Staff Member

74,754 Messages
    24,698 Likes Received
    The explanation...

JBell likes this.
  3. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

45,903 Messages
    35,228 Likes Received
    Why did I click....

4. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

11,269 Messages
    6,626 Likes Received
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

3,220 Messages
    404 Likes Received
    Is newsbot not linking to the Dallas Morning News anymore?

6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl U.N.I.T.Y Staff Member

74,754 Messages
    24,698 Likes Received
    DMN changed their feed due to them revamping their site. Not sure if it comes back. We can still manually post articles from there, tho.

dogberry likes this.
  7. robjay04

robjay04 Well-Known Member

5,746 Messages
    12,104 Likes Received
    Didn't care as much about the clock issues as I did the calls on the goal line situation set up by the Dez catch. That was inexcusable for me. You gotta give Dez another shot since you almost had him on first down if not for the deflection.

8. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

8,724 Messages
    4,836 Likes Received
    Agreed. And, even if you don't target Dez again, at least run out of a 3 WR set. Give the defense something to think about other than "I got this". Those runs were so predictable that my 7 year old nephew knew they were coming. That's my problem with Garrett. He relies too much on his players to over power rather than forcing the defense to make a decision. The game is about creating mismatches. All too often Garrett gives the defense the advantage by taking the guess work out of the equation.

9. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

17,049 Messages
    5,132 Likes Received
    what we wanted to do was play football at that point. We felt like they were going to play football. One of the reasons we thought they were going to play football is they had some success in short-yardage situations earlier. Sometimes, when you get in that mode, ‘Ok make the first but don’t score,’ what happens is you don’t come off the ball, you don’t make the first. So what we wanted to do, given what we thought they would do to try to play defense, we wanted to come off and have our best football play.

Who knew they were playing football?

Bcrav4, BigD16, BigStar and 9 others like this.
  10. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

23,617 Messages
    15,358 Likes Received
    How does that throw things off the kilter? This guy is such a politician.

So he blames McFadden the drive prior and then gives a convoluted explanation about how he didn't tell McFadden to fall down. But he did say they practice the play to make it look like he knew what he was doing I guess, even though they didn't do it..

Does this guy ever say "I made a mistake."

11. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

17,049 Messages
    5,132 Likes Received
    Well in his defense he KNEW the skins would play FOOTBALL.

Amy50632 and khiladi like this.
  12. Floatyworm

Floatyworm The Labeled One

10,181 Messages
    8,036 Likes Received
    Not only that.....but we have the worst blocking TEs in the league. and I'm not joking. Throw in Doug Free...and you have your recipe for disaster:banghead:

Amy50632 likes this.
  13. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

23,617 Messages
    15,358 Likes Received
    I'm just shaking my head that this guy gave us what probably amounted to a 15 minute lecture in absolutely hot air.

Just admit you made a mistake, but it worked out and move on...

BigD16, BigStar, Amy50632 and 3 others like this.
  14. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

10,837 Messages
    4,497 Likes Received
    "So it’s second-and-1 and they still have their two timeouts, so the thinking becomes, ‘We need to get the first down now.’ If we run it, they call timeout; we run it, they call timeout. All of a sudden we’re kicking a field goal and they get it back and we’re up three with over a minute, and in this league teams go down the field and kick game-tying field goals in those situations. So it was incumbent upon us to make a first down after that."

Wow. Just wow.

Does he know how to count time?

BigD16, BigStar, Amy50632 and 3 others like this.
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

74,616 Messages
    39,115 Likes Received
    I still don't understand why Cassel just didn't take 3 straight knees, run the Redskins out of timeouts, run the clock down to only a few seconds left, kick the field goal, kick off into the end zone, watch the Redskins run one of those stupid pass the ball around the field plays while the clock hits 0:00, then we win the game. What is so damn hard about that?

16. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

9,457 Messages
    11,256 Likes Received
    They should hire a clock management consultant.

ghst187, khiladi, BigStar and 4 others like this.
  17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

3,903 Messages
    2,506 Likes Received
    Jason has never said he's messed up ever. Not going to, he's stubborn.

18. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,915 Messages
    466 Likes Received
    Wow, you people are worse than dumb and dumber

19. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

4,192 Messages
    3,054 Likes Received
    It would have gotten them to the playoffs in Garrett's first 3 seasons. It is sad that it is necessary but if Jerry keeps Garrett it is almost a necessity.

ghst187, khiladi and Amy50632 like this.
  20. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member

5,395 Messages
    2,700 Likes Received
    I was confused by this statement at first but I think he meant that if we ran the ball and didn't get the first down.

DCBoysfan, Amy50632 and Wayne02 like this.