News: ST: How the Cowboys got their Mighty Orphans nickname

NewsBot

Reaction score
FRISCO

Editor’s note: The original Mighty Orphans story was published in the Star-Telegram on Oct. 19. This is an updated version of how the Cowboys defense got its nickname.

Tyrone Crawford was telling the story of how the Cowboys’ defense got its nickname when rookie Maliek Collins interjected.

“It’s from the book,” Collins said.

Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli, an avid reader, recently used a synopsis of Jim Dent’s book, “Twelve Mighty Orphans,” to inspire his unit. The nickname stuck.

“Coach Marinelli always has something he comes up with every year,” Crawford said. “This year it’s ‘The Mighty Orphans.’ It’s kind of how we live, the mentality of being treated with less [respect]. We’re Rocky, not the Russians. We don’t get the high-class treatment, but we get the job done.

Click to Continue »

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
That's actually a really cool nickname.

Doesn't try too hard

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
A good supervisor can make a person and crew perform beyond their natural ability.

Show them respect..teach them where they are lacking and most important treat them the way you would want to be treated.

That's how i treat my electricians and helpers who work for me...

I've got a pretty damn solid crew. Rod does too..

Last edited:

Plankton

Reaction score
It would be great if the Cowboy defense had a player who was as intimidating as Hardy Brown was. Brown routinely knocked opposing players out with his "Humper" tackle.