News: ST: NFL fines Cowboys cornerback Anthony Brown for hit on Lions kicker

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
CBs can't win . . . if they don't hit hard enough, the fans complain -- if they actually do damage, the league fines the crap outta them.:huh:

Cboy77

Reaction score
What blows my mind is how the nfl can fine someone for a hit that wasn't penalized. Is this what the NFL has come to under the Goodell dictatorship? We'll make up fines and penalties as we go. . . Wow!!

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Thats' stupid, surprised they didn't fine Jones for the awesome hit on Andre Roberts, it looked like there was some helmet to helmet (IMO)

Still was an awesome hit by our punter I loved it!

He wasn't a defenseless WR or a QB I don't think helmet to helmet applies here.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
What blows my mind is how the nfl can fine someone for a hit that wasn't penalized. Is this what the NFL has come to under the Goodell dictatorship? We'll make up fines and penalties as we go. . . Wow!!

The league fines some plays that weren't flagged and doesn't fine some that were, so it works both ways.

sbark

Reaction score
...anyone going to start a "go fund Me"page .......

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He wasn't a defenseless WR or a QB I don't think helmet to helmet applies here.

Well I really didn't want to make a thread about my "off the cuff comment and opinion" related to the legality of the hit on Roberts by Jones which by the way was an awesome play that I loved!
I mentioned in my post that I hadn't seen the replay and that is my fault I should have watched it first, attached is a different angle than what I saw during the game and it appears here that allot of shoulder was involved so I absolutely agree on the no call. Also I mis stated what the call might have been as a helmet to helmet the call if any could have been hitting with the crown of the helmet which has been modified in 2016 see below. Anyway this is all academic at this point. Great "legal" hit by Jones.

Personally I think these calls needs to be very obvious and flagrant before a flag is thrown and clearly the refs have been all over the board this year that was my point with my comment. "Cheers"

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/12/26/14085604/cowboys-punter-chris-jones-hit-return-omg-he-wasnt-ready

Rule emphasis 2016:

Crown of Helmet

For safety reasons, the Committee believes that crown-of-the-helmet hits by defenders that were previously legal because the defender did not line up the runner should be illegal regardless of whether the defender lines up the runner prior to making contact. When the rule was first implemented, game officials were instructed to look for three elements for interpreting the rule for initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet:

• The player must line up his opponent
  • He must lower his head
  • He must make forcible contact with the crown of the helmet.
Game officials will be instructed to call fouls when a defender lowers his head and makes forcible contact with the crown of his helmet on a runner outside the tackle box. The line-up requirement will still apply to a runner, since in many instances that player ducks his head to protect himself from impending contact by a defender, rather than to deliver a blow.
  • The rule regarding crown of the helmet hits on runners has been clarified for 2016. A defender may not lower his head and make forcible contact with the crown of his helmet to any part of a runner’s body. This rule applies outside the tackle box and a foul will be called regardless of the path the defender takes toward the runner.
The rule regarding crown of the helmet hits on runners has been clarified for 2016. A defender may not lower his head and make forcible contact with the crown of his helmet to any part of a runner’s body. This rule applies outside the tackle box and a foul will be called regardless of the path the defender takes toward the runner.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Might of been legal, I didn't see it in slow motion and if was incidental it wouldn't have been a penalty
Helmet to helmet hits are only illegal on qb's and defenseless players. In that situation with Jones, helmet to helmet is legal.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Helmet to helmet hits are only illegal on qb's and defenseless players. In that situation with Jones, helmet to helmet is legal.
Yeah I looked at the play again and the rules and pretty much came to that conclusion

Thanks

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Yeah I looked at the play again and the rules and pretty much came to that conclusion

Thanks

If all helmet to helmet plays were illegal I'd stop watching. Hell lowering my head and ramming it into defenders was my bread and butter move in high school and college. I have the screwed up vertebrae to prove it.

Those last two sentences can mean something totally different in a different context. :D

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
What blows my mind is how the nfl can fine someone for a hit that wasn't penalized.
I don't mind this so much because officials miss calls all the time. What drives me crazy is the inconsistency from the league office.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
wasnt brown blocked into the punter? I dont really remember it.
anyone have a clip of that play?

TheHerd

Reaction score
wasnt brown blocked into the punter? I dont really remember it.
anyone have a clip of that play?
No, it ewas on the the extra point. Amd the coverage was about as good as the missed FG, so we never got a real view of the play.