News: ST: Surrender might have worked for Cowboys

NewsBot

Reaction score
[CDATA[Manning, Broncos deny Romo and the Cowboys a final chance.]]>

ARLINGTON —
lebreton100.png
When all the scoring was finally done, the Book of Manning outfoxed the Flow Chart of Garrett.

Some may say that this is a cheap second guess, and maybe it is. But everything else seemed to come cheaply Sunday at AT&T Stadium, including touchdowns.

On a day when the two defenses couldn’t seem to stop anyone, who knew that the prudent choice in the final two minutes might have been to not even try?

“We thought about it,” Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said after the 51-48 defeat.

“But you weigh those out. We decided to try to make the stop on third down.”

A stop? A tackle?

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

morasp

Reaction score
I agree with Phil Simms. It would have been better if they could have held them to a field goal on the third and one.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Manning is on record telling Moreno to avoid scoring a TD at ALL cost. Now being that close it would have be difficult for the rb to stop before crossing the plane, but the Broncos had no intention of scoring there. Personally I would have sold out on the run and tried to get a stop.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
You try to stop them on third and one. If you don't, you know the game is over. You don't know if they're going to make the first down on third and one. So you have to at least try to stop Moreno from making the first down.
I can't fault the decision.

Kalyan

Reaction score
Based on how our defense is playing, on 2 and 17 play, I would have taken all the flats and short passes and expose deep areas. 2 things wouldhave happned, Manning would have recognized and scored a TD and we get the ball back with enough time for Romo OR we would have forced a 3 and long. That unpredictability and gambling is missing or Manning is making the coaches look bad (but all other teams are doing it to our defense too)

aikemirv

Reaction score
I personally think the spot on D Thomas first down was incorrect. I noticed it when they spotted it. I thought the ball came down right on the ten. Maybe I am wrong. That spot and our ultimate failure on stopping the 1st down cost us the game.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I was yelling to let them score and get the ball with 1:35 left on the clock.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think Peyton said after the game they were not going to try and score, yes they needed to get the 1st down but told Moreno not to score.