Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Posted on Tue, Oct. 25, 2005

TEXAS NOTES

Young says he plans to return as a senior

By JIMMY BURCH

Star-Telegram STAFF WRITER

AUSTIN - Texas quarterback Vince Young, a junior who is in the thick of this year's Heisman Trophy race, said Monday that he's planning to be a factor in next year's Heisman hunt as well.

"Basically, I'm coming back," Young said in his strongest statement to date about his career plans.

Although he acknowledged the potential for early entry in the 2006 NFL Draft is "always in the back of your mind," Young said his heart tells him that returning to Texas for his senior season is the right move.

"You've got to leave it open," Young said of the potential to leave school after his junior season. "But right now, my heart is saying to come back. ... I signed to play here, and I'm playing here."

Regardless of what happens Saturday when No. 2 Texas (7-0, 4-0 in Big 12) meets Oklahoma State (3-4, 0-4) in Stillwater, Okla., Young said he will not repeat the impromptu Heisman pose that he flashed during last week's 52-17 rout of No. 17 Texas Tech after throwing a 75-yard touchdown pass to Billy Pittman.

Young said he regrets making the gesture, which he described as a joke among teammates, because he doesn't want Heisman voters "to think I've got an ego." But the pose could return, Young said, if he collects the coveted hardware in New York.

"If I win it, I'll strike it all the time," Young said.

Shared load

Texas coach Mack Brown said he plans to divide Saturday's tailback duties between Selvin Young, who rushed for a season-high 77 yards against Tech, and leading rusher Jamaal Charles (610 yards, 6 TDs), who is nursing a sprained ankle. Brown said he has no plans to rest Charles, even with a collection of lesser opponents on the horizon.

"He wants to play, and the doctors say he should play," Brown said. "It's a bad message for us to [sit him down]. ... I think we still play him, if he feels like it."

Climbing the charts

Vince Young ranks second nationally in passing efficiency (169.5 rating), the loftiest perch by any quarterback in school history. He's competed 65.6 percent of his attempts, with 14 touchdowns and 7 interceptions.

Asked about the rating, Young said: "I take a whole lot of pride in that, because they said I couldn't throw [earlier in his career]."

Briefly

Freshman Quan Cosby, who had 98 yards on four kick returns against Texas Tech, will remain in the mix as a punt returner and kickoff returner, said coach Mack Brown.

By taking over the No. 1 spot in the BCS standings, Texas is No. 1 for the first time in any poll since Oct. 8, 1984, when it topped The Associated Press and United Press International polls.

Brown, on Oklahoma State's 12 turnovers in its last two games: "It scares you because, if they fix the turnover situation, they can put you in a tight spot on the road."

www.texassports.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jimmy Burch, (817) 390-7760 jburch@star-telegram.com

jbsg02

Reaction score
For the best, if he can continue to make good decisions on the field and improve on his passing, he will be thought of more as a QB and not a WR