Start Holland

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been patiently waiting for this team to insert Montrae Holland into the starting lineup. I could see the reasons why they didn't early on as Holland was acquired right before the start of the season and needed time to learn the Cowboys' offense. He's had five weeks to prepare and the team said that he would be getting playing time last week.

That didn't happen.

Holland has been 'ready enough' to be active for the past two weeks. That says to me that the coaching staff felt he was prepared enough to play two weeks ago.

If that's the case, he should get his chance in the starting lineup now.

Kosier came back too soon and was re-injured and will be out several weeks.

And Corey Procter showed this past week that he's simply not good enough to be a full-time starter. Procter is a good backup and versatile interior lineman, but he's not a guy you want starting every week.

Holland was brought here as he's more the type of lineman Hudson Houck likes for his offensive line. He's a thick road-grader who excels in a power attack. Given Gurode's ankle sprain, I think it would be wise to have Procter focus on the center position in case Gurode can't go. Allow Holland to step into the lineup at LG.

The Cowboys - and Procter especially - struggled last week and essentially abandoned the run game. Inserting Holland and further committing to run should help get this offense back on track.

The time is now.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
do you know a thing about holland, or you just want to change for the sake of change?

khiladi

Reaction score
Most people within Denver say that Holland was their best offensive line-man last year. He allowed less sacks then Kosier did, and he played in a system not suited towards his physique, i.e. a zone scheme.

To assume he can't play better than Proctor, who has essentially been getting pushed back, is absurd.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;2305192 said:
Most people within Denver say that Holland was their best offensive line-man last year. He allowed less sacks then Kosier did, and he played in a system not suited towards his physique, i.e. a zone scheme.

To assume he can't play better than Proctor, who has essentially been getting pushed back, is absurd.

to assume the coaches don't know more about him than any of us is more absurd

Reaction score
khiladi;2305192 said:

I think that Proctor gets blown up more than Al Johnson...

Except Al would be five yards in the backfield when Bledsoe was trying to throw the ball... or pat the ball...

khiladi

Reaction score
stealth;2305201 said:
to assume the coaches don't know more about him than any of us is more absurd

The same coaches ran the ball 8 times and it took a long time for Wade to put Felix in as a kick returner...

Wade himself said he was dominant in the running game and can hold his own in the passing game... Wade is the type of caoch who seems to get lulled into complacency... You never see him really force any issue...

And if Holland wasn't as good as Proctor, than the trade speaks more regarding the coaches not knowing what their doing than anything else...

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;2305205 said:
The same coaches ran the ball 8 times and it took a long time for Wade to put Felix in as a kick returner...

Wade himself said he was dominant in the running game and can hold his own in the passing game... Wade is the type of caoch who seems to get lulled into complacency... You never see him really force any issue...

And if Holland wasn't as good as Proctor, than the trade speaks more regarding the coaches not knowing what their doing than anything else...

or it speaks to holland's ability, or lack there of, to properly grasp the blocking schemes well enough to play.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
Proctor didnt work out last week, what would it hurt to see Holland in live action, at the least if hes worse pull him and put proctor back in..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stealth;2305191 said:
do you know a thing about holland, or you just want to change for the sake of change?

Sure do.

Look at his most recent measurables in Denver.

He played better there than Kosier did while starting for the Cowboys.

That's easily better than anything Procter has done.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
stealth;2305218 said:
or it speaks to holland's ability, or lack there of, to properly grasp the blocking schemes well enough to play.

Then the trade with Denver brings the coaches ability to judge talent further into question.

I'd rather take the chance on a player who might suck over a player I know does suck.

Does that sound better?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Procter is terrible...and all of these "young promising OL" are NOTHING to write home about. I think we MIGHT have something in Free....but McQuistan, and Procter, and Martin (who is now gone THANK GOD)....we hear about all the depth....then they get to play in pre-season and they look like big bodies..that's it!

Holland started 16 games last year...which is more than you can say about ANY of our backup OL.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I Agree, Holland should know the Offense by now, let's give him a shot.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
*Shrugs* I'm just hoping when he does get his shot that he's able to be very impressive.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whether Holland was a better lineman in Broncos SYSTEM than Kosier was in Cowboys SYSTEM seems to be irrelevant. Since they are different players in different SYSTEMS.

Whether he is better than Proctor with the Cowboys remains to be seen.

Just because someone played well for another team in another system does not mean he is going to do as well on another team in another system.

After all they did get rid of him, sure it was for weight issues, but one would think if they thought so highly of him they would have worked those issues out and it appears after coming into camp he did indeed lose the weight. So if he was so good to them, I would think they would have kept him even with the weight issues...but who knows, maybe he clashed with coaches.

Now he himself said it would take time for him to absorb the playbook and get comfortable in the system before he wanted to start or play. Maybe he is not comfortable enough with it yet. Maybe the coaches are not comfortable with him yet.

Could be a variety of reasons why he has not played.

However just saying he has to be better than (insert player name here) is not a valid argument.

I would think we have learned our lesson on that one. Hey Hambrick has to be better than an old Emmitt Smith, Hey "That Dude" has to be better than Ekuban and I am sure many can think of many more examples where we thought that a certain player has to be better than another...only to find out that is not always the case.

If the coaches feel he is ready, if he feels he is ready...than so be it.

Maybe we will get lucky and he not only turns out to be better than Proctor, maybe he turns out to be better than Kosier and we sign him to a long term contract and have our future starter at that position for years to come.

Just want to make sure that just because someone says he has to be better than another, does not make it so.

We will see how it unfolds I guess.

BigBoy63

Reaction score
From watching some things from what he did in Denver i beliveve that Holland would work effeciently in our offensive scheme. Also from watching Procter i do not feel like Porcter is good-enough to be a starter.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
Proctor is at best an average player while Holland proved in Denver he is at worst an average player having had a great year. We really should put hit him in. If we decide to run the ball this week then Holland is the perfect guy to have in there cause of his size and strength he will get great push!