Stat About the Pass Rush

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I re-watched the game last night. The Giants played well. They have nothing to hang their heads about.

The Giants are 11-3. In 12 games against the rest of their schedule Eli Manning has been sacked 11 times this season.

In game 1 the Cowboys sacked him 4 times.

Last night they sacked him 8 times.

The Cowboys sacked Eli more times in 2 games than the rest of their schedule to this point has in 12 games.

Think they want a rematch in the playoffs? I bet they do. That's a proud team who were obviously missing Jacobs.

The Cowboys and Steelers were tied going into yesterday with the most sacks in the NFL at 45 each. The Steelers got 2 more yesterday and are in 2nd with 47 sacks. The Cowboys now lead the NFL with 53.

DeMarcus Ware needs 4 sacks for a new NFL record, though I still say Harvey Martin's 23 sacks in 14 games in 1977 is the real record. Just because it wasn't an Official stat doesn't mean the sacks did not happen.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Hostile;2495626 said:
I re-watched the game last night. The Giants played well. They have nothing to hang their heads about.

The Giants are 11-3. In 12 games against the rest of their schedule Eli Manning has been sacked 11 times this season.

The Cowboys sacked Eli more times in 2 games than the rest of their schedule to this point has in 12 games.

Think they want a rematch in the playoffs? I bet they do. That's a proud team who were obviously missing Jacobs.

The Cowboys and Steelers were tied going into yesterday with the most sacks in the NFL at 45 each. The Steelers got 2 more yesterday and are in 2nd with 47 sacks. The Cowboys now lead the NFL with 53.

DeMarcus Ware needs 4 sacks for a new NFL record, though I still say Harvey Martin's 23 sacks in 14 games in 1977 is the real record. Just because it wasn't an Official stat doesn't mean the sacks did not happen.

Good points Hos. However I believe, if you're calling the real record, on the sacks, even if they weren't recorded, Decon Jones has been credited with 26 one season. So that would actually be the real record, if you wanted to go by that.

:)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2495636 said:
Good points Hos. However I believe, if you're calling the real record, on the sacks, even if they weren't recorded, Decon Jones has been credited with 26 one season. So that would actually be the real record, if you wanted to go by that.

:shush:

I know.

adamknite

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2495636 said:

Deacon Jones is the one who claims he got the 26.

You have to take into account that before 1982, there was no official definition of "sack" therefore some players/teams counted what would be a half sack today, as a whole sack, and various other rules that now come into play.

Here's a good article about the NFL sack record, pretty interesting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=weinreb/081006

Side note: I love this quote from that.

Bacon said. "Strahan -- that was a gimme, man. That was terrible. We didn't have that stuff back in the old days, but what can you say? They're gonna do what they want to do, anyway."

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
I have to go back a long time to recall a Cowboys defense that rushed the passer this well. The early 90s teams were good at it but not this good. I would say this compares with the late 70s teams.

Some of the 80s teams had a lot of sacks, but they did a lot of blitzing as the front four aged and consistent pressure was often missing.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
lurkercowboy;2495693 said:
I have to go back a long time to recall a Cowboys defense that rushed the passer this well. The early 90s teams were good at it but not this good. I would say this compares with the late 70s teams.

Some of the 80s teams had a lot of sacks, but they did a lot of blitzing as the front four aged and consistent pressure was often missing.
Yeah, I think Harvey, Ed and Randy was the last time.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Manning is still seeing star flying around him this morning. Great job by Wade and the boys aginst one of the top OL in the league. Shut down the run and then turned them loose on Manning

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;2495626 said:

You forgot about this stat: 24 sacks in the last four games! (4 vs 49ers, 7 vs Seahawks, 5 vs Steelers, 8 vs Giants) Thats an average of 6 sacks a game!

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
What's the team record for sacks in a season? With 53 and two more games to go, I'd think they're getting close?

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
I gotta admit, there's nothing "cupcake" about Wade's handling of this defense! He has them flying around (like we all envisioned when he was hired) and killing QBs on a weekly basis. They've really been impressive the past few weeks and are morphing into a championship-style defense right before our eyes...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
c0wb0y_m0nkey;2496154 said:
What's the team record for sacks in a season? With 53 and two more games to go, I'd think they're getting close?

With a quick search, I found the 84' Chicago Bears had 72 sacks.

So as long as we get 10 sacks in each of the next two games, we are on our way! :p:

geeter

Reaction score
"........The 53 sacks are the most the Cowboys have had since 1986 when they had 53 in 16 games. With two games to go, they have a shot at the club record of 62 set in 1985. ........."

DMN: Cowlishaw: Dallas Cowboys' defense playing at January level with eight sacks :starspin

Jim JeffcoatDE (14) Too Tall JonesDE (5.5) Randy WhiteDT (6.5) John DuttonDT (5) Don SmerekDT (4.5) Eugene LockhartLB (5) all others - Bates, Brooks, Penn (2.5)ea. Rohrer(2) ----Baker, Hegmen, Downs (1)ea. ====53 sacks
Team Rec= 7-9 QB-Danny White ----Rb Tony Dorsett

JIm Jeffcoat (12) Too Tall Jones (13) Randy WHite (10.5)Dutton (4.0) Mike Hegmen (5.5) Lockheart(3.5)48.5victor Scott (3)Brooks,Smereck,Clinkscale (2)ea. ----THurman, Bates(1), Rohrer (1.5)61-----Downs,Ponder(0.5)ea =====62sacks
Team Rec= 10-6 Qb-Danny White ----Rb Tony Dorsett