[youtube]7OMnGRDV0Jg[/youtube]
[youtube]Yf8Sjwy8Zp8[/youtube]
---------------------

FINALLY!

You can now rest in peace Mr. Hayes.

:)

rcaldw

Reaction score
I love Roger (just look at my sig picture), but I don't think I've ever heard him struggle so much in a speaking role. Congratulations to the Hayes family. It is justice that he is in. Drew Pearson, Charlie Waters, Cliff Harris should be there too.

Manster68

Reaction score
Dallas adds another into its legacy. It should never have taken so long for Hayes, Wright, and Renfro to get to the Hall of Fame. They are finally there though.

Now you have to get Cliff Harris in there somehow.

Emmitt Smith and Larry Allen should be shoo-ins for the Hall. Haley, Deion, and Ray Donaldson can very possibly go in primarily representing other teams.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick turnaround on the vids. Roger really should have read a prepared speech. Maybe he was nervous.

MagicMan

Reaction score
Thanks for loading this, I missed it live......Roger is a class act.

And to the original 22, thanks for the memories, I'm glad Jerry put him in the ROH when he did and Bullet Bob was able to enjoy it.

Next year, we get to see the other 22, Emmitt, in Canton. Beautiful.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Roger decided to wing it, but he would have been better off reading.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Chief;2873435 said:
Roger decided to wing it, but he would have been better off reading.

I agree. Roger seemed to ramble a little bit and didn't finish making some of the points he was trying to make IMO. Or at least not as well as he could have.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun;2873417 said:
Thanks for the quick turnaround on the vids. Roger really should have read a prepared speech. Maybe he was nervous.

I thought he finished well though.

'Captain Comeback'.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Loved the intro by Bob's son - brought me to tears.

I've heard Roger give speeches before; normally he is an excellent speaker. But that was just painful to endure.

I had planned on going to the induction, had ordered (and re-ordered) a Hayes jersey, ticket set, and unfortunately had my hip pop out last weekend. Still, it was a beautiful, and long overdue honor for the Bullet.

Congrats to Bullet Bob, rest in Peace, and thanks for all the memories.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
rcaldw;2873409 said:
I love Roger (just look at my sig picture), but I don't think I've ever heard him struggle so much in a speaking role.

Me either. He had a very tough time with the speech and I've never heard him like that before. It seemed as if he was not prepared, he rambled, and stammered, repeated himself a couple of times, lots of "ums", just not what I was expecting from him.

Overall, Hayes' induction was pretty disappointing. His son had some nice things to say but harped a bit too much on the fact that it was way too late. We already know that and saying it once would have been enough but he brought it up a number of times. I understand that they were upset, so was I, but it made it seem as if Hayes was just a bitter old man when he died.

Roger didn't play very long with Hayes and it showed in his speech. He really didn't seem to know much about him and I would rather have had Dan Reeves or Walt Garrison or maybe Gil Brandt make the speech instead. All Roger seemed to remember about Hayes was that he was really FAST! Oh well, at least he's in now.

I really liked the speeches by McDaniel & Woodson and Woodson's presenter was excellent. He was by far the best speaker of the night IMO.

After watching Wilson looking nearly catatonic during Berman's speech I was expecting him to be difficult to follow but considering he is 90 he did a great job. Berman stunk and mostly just pandered to the Bills fans. The whole time he was talking I kept wondering why Wilson was being inducted. About the only thing Berman had to offer on why was that he had owned the BUFFALO BILLS!!!! for 50 years. Other than some initial discussions on an NFL/AFL merger, he really didn't do anything other than own the Bills. Personally, I don't think he should have been inducted into the HoF.

Bruce Smith was pretty good but by the time he came on it was late here on the East coast.

I thought the coverage on ESPN sucked. The cameras were very slow to pan to whoever in the audience was being pointed out. They also didn't show many of the HoFers who were there to welcome the new guys in. I saw Bob Lilly & Tony Dorsett in the background of several shots but it would have been nice to see who all was there and maybe some interviews or a few comments from them.

The speeches are getting longer every year as each speaker seemingly wants to thank everyone they've ever known. They need to give these guys a time limit, or a much shorter one if they already do. The only guy who kept his speech to a reasonable length was Woodson's friend.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
THUMPER;2873501 said:
Me either. He had a very tough time with the speech and I've never heard him like that before. It seemed as if he was not prepared, he rambled, and stammered, repeated himself a couple of times, lots of "ums", just not what I was expecting from him.

Overall, Hayes' induction was pretty disappointing. His son had some nice things to say but harped a bit too much on the fact that it was way too late. We already know that and saying it once would have been enough but he brought it up a number of times. I understand that they were upset, so was I, but it made it seem as if Hayes was just a bitter old man when he died.

Roger didn't play very long with Hayes and it showed in his speech. He really didn't seem to know much about him and I would rather have had Dan Reeves or Walt Garrison or maybe Gil Brandt make the speech instead. All Roger seemed to remember about Hayes was that he was really FAST! Oh well, at least he's in now.

I really liked the speeches by McDaniel & Woodson and Woodson's presenter was excellent. He was by far the best speaker of the night IMO.

After watching Wilson looking nearly catatonic during Berman's speech I was expecting him to be difficult to follow but considering he is 90 he did a great job. Berman stunk and mostly just pandered to the Bills fans. The whole time he was talking I kept wondering why Wilson was being inducted. About the only thing Berman had to offer on why was that he had owned the BUFFALO BILLS!!!! for 50 years. Other than some initial discussions on an NFL/AFL merger, he really didn't do anything other than own the Bills. Personally, I don't think he should have been inducted into the HoF.

Bruce Smith was pretty good but by the time he came on it was late here on the East coast.

I thought the coverage on ESPN sucked. The cameras were very slow to pan to whoever in the audience was being pointed out. They also didn't show many of the HoFers who were there to welcome the new guys in. I saw Bob Lilly & Tony Dorsett in the background of several shots but it would have been nice to see who all was there and maybe some interviews or a few comments from them.

The speeches are getting longer every year as each speaker seemingly wants to thank everyone they've ever known. They need to give these guys a time limit, or a much shorter one if they already do. The only guy who kept his speech to a reasonable length was Woodson's friend.

Great summary.

Sidebar: I was talking to a Bills fan/friend of mine tonight and asked if he watched Bruce Smith get inducted. He said no and that he never liked Smith. He said Bruce got 75 percent of his sacks against the poor Jets and Patriots lines in the 1990s and that he never showed up in big games. He's from Buffalo and is a huge Bills fans, but has no use for Smith. I thought that was interesting. Of course, we all know that Tuinei did a great job in the Super Bowls vs. Smith.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
One last comment: Marty Shottenheimer had me in tears. It was very clear that he cared deeply for Derrick Thomas, that really touched me. I'm teared up now just remembering it.

Peterson did a very good job, I forgot about him in my previous post.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
THUMPER;2873506 said:
One last comment: Marty Shottenheimer had me in tears. It was very clear that he cared deeply for Derrick Thomas, that really touched me. .

Man, me too.

I've always liked Schottenheimer. That was very touching.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
THUMPER;2873501 said:

Bruce Smith had a funny moment when he was talking about Thurman Thomas...

[youtube]uOkERXiJJEY[/youtube]

I didn't get a chance to edit the Schottenheimer piece yet.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
THUMPER;2873506 said:
One last comment: Marty Shottenheimer had me in tears. It was very clear that he cared deeply for Derrick Thomas, that really touched me. I'm teared up now just remembering it.

Peterson did a very good job, I forgot about him in my previous post.

I think I would have preferred Marty introduce DT. Marty was a very underrated coach, his players loved him, and he loved them back.

Add Ted Cotrell to the list of unwatchable.

Stanger58

Reaction score
Finally, a MUCH deserved recognition of Mr. Hayes and what he brought to the game... 'bout time!

God speed (even more) Mr. Hayes...