Recap: Stephen Jones Show 12/20 on Cowboys Offensive woes, RB health, Safety standouts

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Audio: Stephen Jones on Cowboys offense, running backs, & more (audacy.com)
  • No, I will still not say we're going to be NFC East Champs. A lot of work to do. Keep grinding. It's our goal right now, but yes, we do have our sight on other things and our playoff seeding advantages. Another good day for our defense, our offense did some good things, but they can obviously get better. Jerry and I talked about how the offense set the bar so high for themselves early in the season. Hopefully we peak at the right time, as Dak said yesterday.
  • I think our offensive issues are that it takes all 11. Offensive line has to be in sync. Dak's timing with the receiving core. And same goes for the running game and it looks like we're cleaning things up. We're just not executing. Whether that is from all the injuries that took us out of rhythm, I'm not sure, but we're building on some good things, and will ultimately get it right.
  • Both Pollard and Zeke felt real good. Zeke is the best he's been all year. Pollard will continue to get better as well. Have to find that rhythm and get continuity with that offensive line. We've seen it once before this year and know we can do it again.
  • My latest report was Pollard's tear wasn't all the way. He's made a lot of progress. We have the best in the business with our doctors. Pollard felt great yesterday. We just continue to let him do what he does which is be a productive back. We all know what a threat he can be in the kicking game too.
  • Not worried about which running back and how much in the Playoffs. One game at a time. Commanders have guys back from COVID list. What gives us best opportunity is what's important. Too early to project or compare it to the Julius Jones, MB3 situation. (The hosts brought that up)
  • Quinn wants guys in their best roles. They talked about it at camp. Best 4 or 5 rushers in passing situations. Of course, Micah has exceeded all expectations in how many places he can play on the field. That brings an advantage to this group, and DLaw able to play inside, and Dorance Armstrong with Randy. Also, we're able to keep them fresh for the 4th quarter and Playoffs when you need your guy to make the big play.
  • Biggest thing for Jayron Kearse is his length, athletic ability and vision. Able to step up with tight ends and big receivers. Quasi-safety/linebacker and done a great job blitzing. Other good thing was Hooker. We saw how accurate he could be as a tackler and was one of the few guys getting Saquon down on the first hit. Those safeties are making a difference and we're getting Donovan Wilson back this week which will bring even more energy. Real good group of guys at safety and the corners feel the same.
  • Calling timeout before kicking the FG yesterday at end of first half wasn't a big deal. Gut feelings. You saw the drive before. Defense can get you in a bad situation and a sack you can't get out of. You take a chance if you throw it for one more play, you walk away with no points. Dak is a veteran QB and knows he probably could get rid of it, but never know in each situation. Get points off the turnover, defense is playing great and defense comes out 2nd half, go in with confidence.
  • Last time I got mad and broke something like Tom Brady? I can't talk about it. Obviously, Brady's competitive nature came out. We're playing teams with good defenses too. Saints for sure. Skins, Giants. Not easy to move the ball in this league.
  • I don't see any rule changes in Competition Committee this year. Will wait for next year. Overtime always a part of the discussion. We'll look at full body of work this year and see if anything needs to change. There are a lot of schools of thought, and yes, some still think both teams should get an opportunity.
  • No, I didn't get my medium soda at the Giants game!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was glad to see Hooker get more playing time. And that the team has acknowledged his play.

Non committal on which RB will get more playing time. And rightfully so. Let the game dictate those plays. Also depending each one’s health. Which both seemed better.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I was glad to see Hooker get more playing time. And that the team has acknowledged his play.

Non committal on which RB will get more playing time. And rightfully so. Let the game dictate those plays. Also depending each one’s health. Which both seemed better.

Better late than never. Welcome to the party Hook!

No one ever questioned this dude's talent, just his ability to stay healthy.