Steve Savoy...Utah...entering draft

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
I'm a Utah Alum...watched many games this year...Savoy was most of the offense besides Alex Smith...this kid is like Reggie Bush was for USC for the Utes...

If he is there in the 4th round for us...or if we get a 3rd round pic somehow...he's the guy I want. Would make an awesome return man and #3 or 4 receiver...dangerous in the open field.

1/10/05
Utah WR Steve Savoy has declared for the NFL Draft according to ESPN. Only a RS-Sophomore, Savoy has explosive talent but would have better served by returning to school. Still, he could be a first day selection.

*USC's OT Winston Justice was reinstated by the school and can play in the fall, but he apparently is considering entering the NFL Draft. Justice, a great talent, was considered one of the elite offensive linemen in the country.

1pick2

Reaction score
whats his size? 40 time,and any other stats that might help me picture who this kid was. :iggles:

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Steve Savoy
stevesavoy.jpg

Official BioCollege: Utah Height: 5-11Position: Wide ReceiverWeight: 191 Class: Junior40-Yard: 4.46SCOUTING REPORT - coming soonStrengths: Is a very good athlete with a 35+ inch vertical jump...Has adequate size and speed...Tough and will make the difficult catch...Was very productive during his only two seasons with the Utes...Still has upside and should continue to improve.Weaknesses: Doesn't have a lot of experience...Was production a result of Urban Meyer's wide open offense?...Suffered a knee injury in 2002 and redshirted...Size and speed are good enough, but not special...Raw and will need development and coaching.Notes: Although only a sophomore he is 23-years-old...Has the physical tools and production and could rise with good workouts...Interesting prospect with some potential.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
1pick2 said:
whats his size? 40 time,and any other stats that might help me picture who this kid was. :iggles:

Savoy is a really nice player but he isn't very tall... he is also 22... seems a bit old for a sophomore... can you enlighten us on this Portland Fanatic?

Steve Savoy
Wide Receiver | #6 | Sophomore

Height: 5-11
Weight: 191 lbs.
Hometown: Washington, DC

Totals Receiving Rushing
SEASON RECORD REC YDS AVG TD ATT YDS AVG TD
2004 12-0 60 891 14.9 11 22 307 14.0 6
2003 - 40 663 16.6 7 5 35 7.0 0

Link

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Savoy is a really nice player but he isn't very tall... he is also 22... seems a bit old for a sophomore... can you enlighten us on this Portland Fanatic?

Steve Savoy
Wide Receiver | #6 | Sophomore

Height: 5-11
Weight: 191 lbs.
Hometown: Washington, DC

Totals Receiving Rushing
SEASON RECORD REC YDS AVG TD ATT YDS AVG TD
2004 12-0 60 891 14.9 11 22 307 14.0 6
2003 - 40 663 16.6 7 5 35 7.0 0

Link
The best way I can describe him is in the Reggie Bush mold for USC...Utah designed many plays just to get the ball into his hands...he is a real threat once he gets the ball. Fun to watch with lots of juking making players miss. He's a redshirt Soph like Fitzgerald was...thus his age...

chicago JK

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I know some really like Savoy on this board and he looked really good in the bowl game. Looked like a player. It does concern me that maybe the system makes him look a little better than he is though. Maybe similar to the U of F receivers under Florida.

I have only seen him in the bowl game and he looked good but not nearly enough for me to get a feel for him.

1pick2

Reaction score
just thinking what do you guys think of craphonso thorpe maybe a sleeper 2nd day pick?

jimmy40

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
I'm a Utah Alum...watched many games this year...Savoy was most of the offense besides Alex Smith...this kid is like Reggie Bush was for USC for the Utes...

If he is there in the 4th round for us...or if we get a 3rd round pic somehow...he's the guy I want. Would make an awesome return man and #3 or 4 receiver...dangerous in the open field.

1/10/05
Utah WR Steve Savoy has declared for the NFL Draft according to ESPN. Only a RS-Sophomore, Savoy has explosive talent but would have better served by returning to school. Still, he could be a first day selection.

*USC's OT Winston Justice was reinstated by the school and can play in the fall, but he apparently is considering entering the NFL Draft. Justice, a great talent, was considered one of the elite offensive linemen in the country.
Won't be any doubting his competition next year.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
As a fellow U alum (and thus smarter than everyone else), I can vouch that Savoy has some skills. I disagree that he would have been better served going back to school (no Alex Smith + no Urban Meyer + no Mike Sanford, etc.) because Utah will not field another team like that for years.

I see him as more of a 4th - 5th round guy. He plays a lot faster than 4.46. He'd be interesting as a #3 guy on a team and could push for #2. Little on the short side, but he's a player no doubt.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Avery said:
As a fellow U alum (and thus smarter than everyone else), I can vouch that Savoy has some skills. I disagree that he would have been better served going back to school (no Alex Smith + no Urban Meyer + no Mike Sanford, etc.) because Utah will not field another team like that for years.

I see him as more of a 4th - 5th round guy. He plays a lot faster than 4.46. He'd be interesting as a #3 guy on a team and could push for #2. Little on the short side, but he's a player no doubt.
What year did you go to the U? I was there 87-90...

Avery

Reaction score
Portland Fanatic said:
What year did you go to the U? I was there 87-90...

99-01. It's changed a lot with all the new dorms/Olympic village, Trax, new LDS stake building, parking garages, etc. You still can't find a place to park unless you park all the way by Rice Stadium or over by the science buildings on the west side.

Good institution. I've given passing thought to going back and getting a Professional MBA in Business since the Eccles school is pretty good, but going back to tests, homework, etc. just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Champsheart

Reaction score
1pick2 said:
just thinking what do you guys think of craphonso thorpe maybe a sleeper 2nd day pick?

Thorpe may just be the most highly touted draft prospect that never shows up in a game.

Avery

Reaction score
Champsheart said:
Thorpe may just be the most highly touted draft prospect that never shows up in a game.

There's some solid receiving guys that can be had in the draft. Anybody heard about this guy from Northern Colorado that's 6'6", 235?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
1pick2 said:
He won't fall to day 2.
FSU QBs sucked and scouts know this. Crap will go round 2 or 3 IMHO.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Avery said:
99-01. It's changed a lot with all the new dorms/Olympic village, Trax, new LDS stake building, parking garages, etc. You still can't find a place to park unless you park all the way by Rice Stadium or over by the science buildings on the west side.

Good institution. I've given passing thought to going back and getting a Professional MBA in Business since the Eccles school is pretty good, but going back to tests, homework, etc. just doesn't appeal to me anymore.
I have not been back in a long time...have not seen the Olympic village or any of the new facilities. I need to go back soon and look around. I played baseball there...was a good school...enjoyed it.

Great place to get an MBA...my father-in-law, many years ago, got his from there, still one of the better MBA programs in the country. I'm with ya on the homework and late night thing...I have four kids and well trenched in my career...not for me at this point.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
What do you two Utes (oh man, I crack myself up) think about us maybe drafting Alex Smith?

He's my favorite QB in this draft and I think we could probably get him with our 2nd rounder. Is he as good as advertised? Or a product of a system and a weaker schedule? I was impressed with him the two times I saw him play.

Avery

Reaction score
Danny White said:
What do you two Utes (oh man, I crack myself up) think about us maybe drafting Alex Smith?

He's my favorite QB in this draft and I think we could probably get him with our 2nd rounder. Is he as good as advertised? Or a product of a system and a weaker schedule? I was impressed with him the two times I saw him play.

I would advise us not getting him but that's not a knock on Smith moreso the fact that I want to see what Henson has before we sit another QB on the pine for at least a year. His stats are somewhat inflated with some of the shuttle passes and what not but make no mistake that he can play in the NFL. Look at his record as a starter - 1 loss. He's got great accuracy on all his balls whether they be downfield or simple screens. His mobility/escape ability is going to really bump up his stock. He seemed to play pretty well against better competition (ask A&M, NC or Pitt).

He won't be going in the second round. It wouldn't surprise me to see him leapfrog Rogers (but not Leinart). I think he'll pull a Phillip Rivers on this draft in that he'll be a guy projected first round who will get bumped all the way into the top ten. Outside shot that Cleveland could snag him at #3. A lot of it will depend on workouts and if he can bump himself up to maybe 220 without affecting his mobility.

lkelly

Reaction score
Savoy is a nice player, but he was certainly a great product of the system in Utah.

I wouldn't even mention him in the same sentence as Reggie Bush. I can't imagine NFL scouts would either. Bush will be a top 5 pick in 2006 unless he blows out a knee.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
Avery said:
I would advise us not getting him but that's not a knock on Smith moreso the fact that I want to see what Henson has before we sit another QB on the pine for at least a year. His stats are somewhat inflated with some of the shuttle passes and what not but make no mistake that he can play in the NFL. Look at his record as a starter - 1 loss. He's got great accuracy on all his balls whether they be downfield or simple screens. His mobility/escape ability is going to really bump up his stock. He seemed to play pretty well against better competition (ask A&M, NC or Pitt).

He won't be going in the second round. It wouldn't surprise me to see him leapfrog Rogers (but not Leinart). I think he'll pull a Phillip Rivers on this draft in that he'll be a guy projected first round who will get bumped all the way into the top ten. Outside shot that Cleveland could snag him at #3. A lot of it will depend on workouts and if he can bump himself up to maybe 220 without affecting his mobility.
Very well said and I agree 100%...

I really like Alex, however I think Henson has something. If we had nothing at QB right now...I'd say yes, let's go get this kid.

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
lkelly said:
Savoy is a nice player, but he was certainly a great product of the system in Utah.

I wouldn't even mention him in the same sentence as Reggie Bush. I can't imagine NFL scouts would either. Bush will be a top 5 pick in 2006 unless he blows out a knee.
I never compared Savoy to Bush physically...was just comparing the type of roll he took on for the team. The best person to compare his role would be to Reggie Bush. I agree Bush is a better player, however if Savoy is there in the 4th round...I personally like him.