Stop blaming Romo...NOBODY is open

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Do you honeslty think Romo would look off open WRs? He is holding the ball because no one is open. On our final scoring drive with the Cards playing prevent...guys still could not get open. He had to dump off to Barber. Patrick Crayton is killing this team. He only gets open against zones. He cannot beat man coverage. Defenses don't respect him...nor should they. He is NOT a #2 WR. We need to stop trying to convert ex QBs to WRs...or trying to make WRs out of undrafted FAs. I mean we had to TEACH Stanback how to line up! And this is everyone the organization is waiting on? That is just crazy! We get everyone's best effort...and with that being said...we need another baller at Wr

PJDallasfan

Reaction score
I just want to say that after I watched the lose I went and watched the cowboys video that I have and all I can say is that when I watched it made me feel like it was the 90's again. Regardless of what we think of Romo, he is as good as they get. Problem being is that he does not get on his lineman. I was watching Aikman and he was screaming and yelling at his lineman, Irvin was all over the lineman. It just seems like Romo does not want confrontation. He needs to start stepping up and jumping all over his lineman, he should never have been knocked down as much as he was today. He is the leader of this team and I think he needs to start showing some emotion and start getting on people about how they are playing not playing. Just my opinion. :starspin

SweetDC

Reaction score
PJDallasfan;2332861 said:
I just want to say that after I watched the lose I went and watched the cowboys video that I have and all I can say is that when I watched it made me feel like it was the 90's again. Regardless of what we think of Romo, he is as good as they get. Problem being is that he does not get on his lineman. I was watching Aikman and he was screaming and yelling at his lineman, Irvin was all over the lineman. It just seems like Romo does not want confrontation. He needs to start stepping up and jumping all over his lineman, he should never have been knocked down as much as he was today. He is the leader of this team and I think he needs to start showing some emotion and start getting on people about how they are playing not playing. Just my opinion. :starspin
That is an excellent observation. I'd like to view some old games myself to refresh my memory on how a fired up Cowboys team with a fired up leader plays ball. It's been so long I've forgotten. It's like everyone now is afraid of upsetting the apple cart so no one says anything that might be construed as negative or god forbid, a meltdown.

superpunk

Reaction score
And we're not calling plays that get the ball out of his hands quickly.

This is the offense that got Troy Aikman murdered.

Dallyjake

Reaction score
I saw TO blasting the Oline early in the game. He was in Gurodes face for sure. Romo should step up and realize he can jump in peoples face as well. Aikman would have cussed the snot out of that line yesterday.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
superpunk;2332936 said:

More 3-step drops, slants, screens, etc would help get the ball out more quickly and keep the defense from simply teeing off on him.

Our best play yesterday was the dump off to Barber, who had 11 catches.

Word Mofo

Reaction score
I saw only the first half, and that seems to be the case to me. Romo was holding on to the ball way too long (think Bledsoe).

That either means:
1) Coverage was excellent
2) Romo was in la-la land

If #1 is the case, then Jerry, PLEASE TRADE FOR A WR. Give up a 1st - I don't care.

If it's #2, then we're in trouble anyway so save the 1st rounder.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
We knew we needed a #2 WR and the front office totally ignored it during the offseason. Now we get to pay for that brilliant decision.

While Crayton and Miles can make some big plays occasionally, they aren't consistent enough to get open the majority of the time. With TO being doubled that means Romo gets caught having to hold the ball too long or having to dump it off to Barber or Witten.

We all saw this coming, but the people who make the decisions sat on their hands while they talked up Crayton, Austin, Hurd and Stanback. And not one of them is a legit #2.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Bach;2332947 said:
We knew we needed a #2 WR and the front office totally ignored it during the offseason. Now we get to pay for that brilliant decision.

While Crayton and Miles can make some big plays occasionally, they aren't consistent enough to get open the majority of the time. With TO being doubled that means Romo gets caught having to hold the ball too long or having to dump it off to Barber or Witten.

We all saw this coming, but the people who make the decisions sat on their hands while they talked up Crayton, Austin, Hurd and Stanback. And not one of them is a legit #2.
Jerry is being very stubborn here....very stubborn. Especially when you consider the age of TO...if he honestly thinks that Stanback, Austin and Hurd are good enough...he will run this team into the ground. And with the new stadium coming...you would think he wants to give Romo all the weapons he needs for the next 5+ years. The routes we are calling are long routes...but here is the problem with that...only ONE STARTER ON OFFENSE HAS ANY SPEED! So Romo can throw to Witten in triple coverage and have it picked like he did against Cincy....or he can hold onto the ball.

Again, what has Jason Garrett done to be annointed the next Head Coach. Jerry better think long and hard about this. This offense was horrid last year when TO went down. So is it Garrett OR the presence of TO?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
superpunk;2332936 said:

I would like to see more simple drag routes and quick slants thrown to Miles and TO.

If you get Miles or TO the ball they can do stuff in the open field.

superpunk

Reaction score
CATCH17;2332997 said:
I would like to see more simple drag routes and quick slants thrown to Miles and TO.

If you get Miles or TO the ball they can do stuff in the open field.
nfl_i_garrett_300.jpg

**** that.

We go downfield or we don't throw.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I re-watched the game and the big problem is we need somebody to get open besides Witten and Owens. Both are getting double teamed. Owens may be getting double teamed every single down. Even when Dallas is running the ball well, opposing teams would rather just keep double teaming Owens instead of sneaking up on the run.

I don't think it's the press coverage on Owens that's the problem. WR's who get re-routed drastically reduce their chances of making a play and teams are not pressing Owens every down. But for the most part when he can make a move on the corner, he's got a safety on him nearby.

This means that in order for Owens to get open, he will usually need a little extra time for that to happen. But yesterday against the Cardinals the O-Line wasn't giving Romo time for that to happen. We do need a real #2. We don't need the next Jerry Rice, but we need a guy that can consistently do damage on one-on-one and zones. Crayton takes too long to get open as well and for that, he's really a #3. I don't think Austin is quite 100%, although I'm glad they kept him around.

Other things that are annoying me is the stupid fake slant/draw running play. I think it takes away from the good ole play action. We also don't throw many slants, so it's not really fooling anybody. Can't remember the last time we threw a designed screen pass. Those Arizona DE's who lined up out wide and speed rush the Cowboys to death would be a little more tentative if Dallas had thrown a few good screens out there. Also, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of gadget plays. Nothing really too tricky, but something along the lines of what Arizona did on one neat play were they faked the double screen and then Leonard Pope released and was wide open.

All that being said, Romo has to do a better job of holding onto the ball. This game, particularly in the playoffs, is about the turnover battle and as great as Romo's great plays can be, if he can't hold onto the ball it's going to be tough to go far in the postseason.

YAKUZA

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yakuza...

If Witten and Owens are both receiving double teams at the same time and we can't find an open receiver than we got huuuuuge problems.

They aren't doubling both at the same time for any consistent period of time.

I think if we just gave Miles some opportunities he would make big plays.

We had him open for about a 45 yard touchdown but Romo had to release the ball way to early and missed him.

Miles Austin can play and we just need to feed him the rock more.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
bbailey423;2332985 said:
Jerry is being very stubborn here....very stubborn. ...And with the new stadium coming...you would think he wants to give Romo all the weapons he needs for the next 5+ years.

Again, what has Jason Garrett done to be annointed the next Head Coach. Jerry better think long and hard about this. This offense was horrid last year when TO went down. So is it Garrett OR the presence of TO?

The new stadium is the one hope I have that Jerry may actually get us a quality #2 WR and a new solid HC.

The WR part is the more sure bet though. I definitely think we'll sign someone during the offseason and possibly use a first day pick on one too.

But as for the HC, there is no doubt that Garrett was brought here to be the next HC. It was even more evident when Jerry paid him the huge $$$ this offseason in order to retain him. While I would like to think Jerry is seeing the same thing we are seeing with Garrett, I don't see Jerry giving up on his plan so easily. Garrett may be a great HC in time, but right now he isn't even a good OC. But I don't think Jerry will want to let him go and have him become a HC somewhere else.

The one positive out of it is that we will definitely get a new DC, hopefully Capers. But I'd much rather get a big time HC in here than spend the next few years letting Garrett get on-the-job training here.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The only thing I blame on Romo is he's got to learn to feel the pressure and throw the ball away. I realise no one is open and he's got to learn that there is NOT a huge play to be made every time he drops back and he needs to throw the ball away. That sack he took in overtime put us in an immediate hole and killed the momentum we'd worked so hard to get by coming from 10 down in regulation.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
At this point I'm not even sure a WR would help, we have a lot of issues on this team as a whole and the problem is execution more than anything else.

Getting a new WR won't stop stupid penalties and idiotic mistakes.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Bach;2333024 said:
The new stadium is the one hope I have that Jerry may actually get us a quality #2 WR and a new solid HC.

The WR part is the more sure bet though. I definitely think we'll sign someone during the offseason and possibly use a first day pick on one too.

But as for the HC, there is no doubt that Garrett was brought here to be the next HC. It was even more evident when Jerry paid him the huge $$$ this offseason in order to retain him. While I would like to think Jerry is seeing the same thing we are seeing with Garrett, I don't see Jerry giving up on his plan so easily. Garrett may be a great HC in time, but right now he isn't even a good OC. But I don't think Jerry will want to let him go and have him become a HC somewhere else.

The one positive out of it is that we will definitely get a new DC, hopefully Capers. But I'd much rather get a big time HC in here than spend the next few years letting Garrett get on-the-job training here.
Jerry is prone to hyperbole...and he has made his mind up that Jason Garrett is the smartes man in the room. But we are 5-5 over our last 10 games and I have seen him outcoached by MANY defensive coordinators. Not to mention the STUPIDITY of not calling a timeout at the end of the first half. Instead of calling timout, getting a good play...and putting the ball in the endzone. We rush a play that NO ONE knew what was going on. It was 3rd and 1 and we wind up throwing an incomplete and missing the FG. Even more stunning is we end the half with 2 TOs!!!!!!!!!! We had 2 timeouts...why did we not use one?

P.S. - I can promise you that was not Wades territory. I can promise you whe it comes to the offense it is Garrett and Romo. So even if Wade with his 40+ years of coaching knew he should have called timeout...he left that up to the VERY green Garrett and VERY green Romo!

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
bbailey423;2333046 said:
Jerry is prone to hyperbole...and he has made his mind up that Jason Garrett is the smartes man in the room.

P.S. - I can promise you that was not Wades territory. I can promise you whe it comes to the offense it is Garrett and Romo. So even if Wade with his 40+ years of coaching knew he should have called timeout...he left that up to the VERY green Garrett and VERY green Romo!

I agree. Wade was brought here for two reasons. He was supposed to be a 3-4 genius and to keep the seat warm for Garrett.

It was totally inexplicable for Jerry to hire Garrett before we had a HC. Many of us said so at the time but were shouted down by the 'homer crowd'.
This offense and everything with it is totally the Garrett/Romo show. Jason was never anything more than a QB coach and Jerry brings him here as the OC/HC in waiting before we even hired a HC.

Wade is just like Gailey and Campo. A glorified coordinator with no real power. While none of them were good HC's, the decision to put them in that position and then neuter them on top of it goes to Jerry.

Now we're in the process of wasting two seasons waiting for Garrett to take over when he hasn't even grasped the OC position yet. It's beyond comprehension, but it's the Jerry way and we just have to live with it, even though it turns my stomach to even think about it.