Stop Spinning

rcaldw

Reaction score
Its sad and a little humorous how all the spin begins when we have an opening weekend like we just had. I guess its just the way for some of us Cowboys fans to cope. But why can't we all just be honest? (Not saying that many or most haven't been, I'm just addressing the "spinners".)

Honesty list:

1. No way, no how, did we expect to get beaten by Jacksonville this weekend.

2. No way, no how, should Jacksonville have beaten us this weekend. We have more talent on both sides of the ball.

3. Drew Bledsoe played a very bad game. Can we just admit that? Even some of the good plays we made in the passing game were poor throws that the WR's made very good plays on. Exhibit A - T.O.'s TD catch. Should have been thrown to the back corner of the endzone, wasn't, T.O. makes a marvelous adjustment.

4. Bill Parcells made a huge error on the protest call. Cost us an important timeout, was thrown too late, and as it turns out, was on something that couldn't even be challenged.

5. The offensive line wasn't the main problem yesterday. For most of the day they seemed to perform pretty well.

6. This is only 1 game, THIS IS ONLY 1 GAME, but we need to get this fixed right away. It had that horrible feeling of last year, and we better get rid of that soon or it could turn into last year.

7. Less than stellar play has been Drew Bledsoe's history for a long time now. He has great looking games, but he doesn't play consistently well over the course of an entire season, and don't throw stats up because this isn't fantasy football.

So, lets just stop it with "Seattle got beat by Jacksonville last year", and "Bledsoe wasn't really the problem the defense was", etc., etc.

We got beat yesterday, BEAT, and we shouldn't have.

Honest items for hope:

1. Bledsoe and T.O's timing will get better as the season goes on and they play together more.

2. While J.J. didn't have consistent gains yesterday, he did show explosion on a few runs and ripped off some nice gains.

3. Terry Glenn looks as good as ever, and with T.O. and Witten this is the best Dallas receiving corps since Irvin, Harper and Novacek.

4. Our defensive talent is outstanding, and no matter yesterday's peformance, I think there is honest reason to think they will be dominating before the year is over.

5. Demarcus Ware looks like everything we hoped he would be.

Nothing profound on either list, but just thought I would give my 2 cents worth. :)

Tobal

Reaction score
I liked your lists, your title was a little off it seemed to me.

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
Good points, and by the way............................................

.................it's Witten.

silver

Reaction score
another year and we have the same achilles heel problem: the offensive line.

when will it be that we don't have to worry about the line. every year since Erik Williams and Mark Tuinei left we been having problems on the line. If it isn't center then it's Guard, and if it isn't Guard then it's at Right Tackle. And now our problem is at Left Tackle. Why can't we address the issue and solve it once and for all. We knew Flozell had major reconstructive surgery. we knew our Right Tackle situation would be an issue once again. And come draft day what do we do? we draft an inside linebacker who doesn't even dress for game day. why? we din't need an ILB. we had shale and fowler already backing James and Ayodele. we could've used a tackle for sure.

Skeptic

Reaction score
Relax. We lost by a touchdown to a 12-4 team.

The only thing that really concerned me was the lack of attention that the TE's recieved and Bledsoe's poor decision making.

I also think that a lot of the blowback around here concerning Bledsoe is warranted, but misguided.

Pure and simple, Bledsoe looked good all preseason. Jax has a great D-line and a capable defense. If he throws three (should have been four) picks against Washington sunday, then perhaps a reasonable debate could begin about replacing him.

However, the idea of benching Bledsoe for his performance in WEEK ONE is a little ******** (thanks Tom).

We have a good team. TO did what I wanted him to do, and we didn't even get the ball to him as much as we might have been able to.

The season isn't over, the game hasn't passed Bill by and we certainly aren't any worse than any of the other "top-tier" teams that lost yesterday to pedestrian opponents.

Take heart Cowboys fans...this will all work itself out.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Bledsoe's passes were so slow it was incredible. It is a wonder he wasn't successfully picked off more. The one throw to a leaping Glenn near the sideline could have easily been picked off by the defender if he broke on the ball. They were both waiting for it, and the CB went up in the air with Glenn to try to tap it away.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
You totally take the fun out of the ledge jumpers--bledsoe haters
TO lovers---zimmer for Commander head coach supporters--a reasonable voice
on the board --you should be ashamed of yourself:eek: :lmao2:

DipChit

Reaction score
rcaldw said:
Its sad and a little humorous how all the spin begins when we have an opening weekend like we just had. I guess its just the way for some of us Cowboys fans to cope. But why can't we all just be honest? (Not saying that many or most haven't been, I'm just addressing the "spinners".)

Honesty list:

Who is "we"? All the fans? I know they didnt all think that. The team? Well then maybe that explains everything.

After the first 2 road games last year we were horriffic on the road the rest of the way on offense save one lil spark in the Carolina game where we scored 24. The other games we scored 13, 10, 14, 10 and 7.

Was I supposed to assume we were going to come out and light it up on offense? Flo was back but he looked gimpy. The other 4 are still just "guys" even if 2 of them are new. And "new" for the sake of new isnt necessarily a good thing on an o-line anyway where continuity matters.

T.O factor? thats all well and good but it was game 1 withot a lot of reps in practice (although he had a nice game as it turned out).

Going in why would I assume we we're going to win? I hoped we would.. I thought we'd be fortunate if we could. But I didnt flat out expect to win a road game against a pretty decent team.

I woulda felt that way if I were a Denver fan though. I woulda expected to thrash the Lions if I were a Hags fan too. Both those teams were playing run of the mill teams with new HC's.

Us losing was no big shocker. At least to me.

30yrheel

Reaction score
Some more honesty-
The defense isn't as "big, fast and dominating" as we thought. Ware was all over the field but nobody made any big plays.
We've got to throw to Glenn and TO at least every couple of plays. No way in hell both of those guys are covered on every play.
If we have time to scream "just throw the damn ball BleDsoe", then he's taking too long to throw the damn ball.

rcaldw

Reaction score
DipChit said:
Who is "we"? All the fans? I know they didnt all think that. The team? Well then maybe that explains everything.

After the first 2 road games last year we were horriffic on the road the rest of the way on offense save one lil spark in the Carolina game where we scored 24. The other games we scored 13, 10, 14, 10 and 7.

Was I supposed to assume we were going to come out and light it up on offense? Flo was back but he looked gimpy. The other 4 are still just "guys" even if 2 of them are new. And "new" for the sake of new isnt necessarily a good thing on an o-line anyway where continuity matters.

T.O factor? thats all well and good but it was game 1 withot a lot of reps in practice (although he had a nice game as it turned out).

Going in why would I assume we we're going to win? I hoped we would.. I thought we'd be fortunate if we could. But I didnt flat out expect to win a road game against a pretty decent team.

I woulda felt that way if I were a Denver fan though. I woulda expected to thrash the Lions if I were a Hags fan too. Both those teams were playing run of the mill teams with new HC's.

Us losing was no big shocker. At least to me.

I give you credit, then, for being ahead of me on that one, because I didn't expect us to lose this one. So, sincere kudos to you on that one, because I didn't see this one coming. I guess I'll have to admit that I don't have a lot of respect for Leftwich as a QB, and with T.O.'s addition I really thought we had a big offensive advantage. In fact, after Jacksonville's first couple of drives and our first drive, I thought that my expectations for the game were right on. Then we went dead for most of the rest of the game.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
I'm a die hard Boys fan and I just don't know what to feel right now. I have full confidence that Bledsoe will both bounce back and have stellar games this year and that this isn't his last miserable performance. Bledsoe is like a yo-yo with my emotions and I just can't take too much more of it. As I watch games throughout the league, I can't help but to notice the subtle things that winning QB's seem to do. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A QB STEP INTO AS MANY SACKS AS DREW BLEDSOE. I'm sure everyone knows the sack I'm referring to. To watch this is simply maddening and it's nothing new. Sometimes it looks as though he's looking to find a sack. Bledsoe is consistent in his blunders. I'm by no means a Bledsoe hater but the reality is that he is what he is. With the athletes on the defensive side of the ball along with the creativity of D-coordinators these days, you simply need a QB who can move in the pocket and make plays. It's the difference between sustaining drives and bad things happening. The sky is far from falling but it's very cloudy right now.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
rcaldw said:
Honesty list:

Are you kidding? When I looked at our schedule, I saw 6 very tough road games -- the division ones, Jax, Carolina, and Atl. If we can win two of those 6 we are in good shape provided we TCB at home.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Are you kidding? When I looked at our schedule, I saw 6 very tough road games -- the division ones, Jax, Carolina, and Atl. If we can win two of those 6 we are in good shape provided we TCB at home.

I think he is just saying we were not being realistic. Saying most felt it was an automatic W based on the hype.

- Mike G.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of what you said, but I'll disagree with you about the Jags. I think a lot of us (including you) underestimated them.

I think what we saw was cold hard reality--the quality AFC teams can still beat most (or all) of the NFC. (Hey, even the Texans hung in there for a while yesterday.) The Jags are a team that has been built over the last few years to beat the Colts, & ultimately the Pats. But if you've got to face Peyton Manning twice a year, you're going to get good pretty fast. We were facing a playoff AFC team on their home field. A team that knows it's got to win virtually every game if it wants a prayer of staying within shot of the Colts.

We also saw many of the vaunted NFC teams (at least the ones talked up in preseason) melt down yesterday, many in the face of inferior NFC competition.

No question the Cowboys played poorly yesterday. Bledsoe needs to get his act together, & fast. Overall, tho, I think we're still seeing proof that the NFC is the inferior division.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
cowboyed said:
Bledsoe's passes were so slow it was incredible. It is a wonder he wasn't successfully picked off more. The one throw to a leaping Glenn near the sideline could have easily been picked off by the defender if he broke on the ball. They were both waiting for it, and the CB went up in the air with Glenn to try to tap it away.

I thought the same thing. His throwing motion seemed different than it was before. Not sure what was up, but he did not throw as he normally does. We can complain about his decision making, lack of mobility etc, but normally his throwing motion and arm cannot be questioned.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Kittymama said:
I agree with a lot of what you said, but I'll disagree with you about the Jags. I think a lot of us (including you) underestimated them.

I think what we saw was cold hard reality--the quality AFC teams can still beat most (or all) of the NFC. (Hey, even the Texans hung in there for a while yesterday.) The Jags are a team that has been built over the last few years to beat the Colts, & ultimately the Pats. But if you've got to face Peyton Manning twice a year, you're going to get good pretty fast. We were facing a playoff AFC team on their home field. A team that knows it's got to win virtually every game if it wants a prayer of staying within shot of the Colts.

We also saw many of the vaunted NFC teams (at least the ones talked up in preseason) melt down yesterday, many in the face of inferior NFC competition.

No question the Cowboys played poorly yesterday. Bledsoe needs to get his act together, & fast. Overall, tho, I think we're still seeing proof that the NFC is the inferior division.

I agree with you that I didn't think they would beat us, and you may be exactly right, they may just be better than us. But if we say that, then we also have to say, all the talk about us being a Super Bowl team this year may be the stuff of dreams. Are we prepared to say that?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
rcaldw said:
I agree with you that I didn't think they would beat us, and you may be exactly right, they may just be better than us. But if we say that, then we also have to say, all the talk about us being a Super Bowl team this year may be the stuff of dreams. Are we prepared to say that?

Jacksonville was better than us yesterday, we really don't know how this team will develop over the course of the season. Some in the media and some of our fans will write us off today but 1 game does not make a season. I will say I felt Jacksonville was not going to be an easy game and said last week Dallas could not afford to make mistakes and expect to win. We made too many mistake and we lost the game.

DipChit

Reaction score
rcaldw said:
....they may just be better than us. But if we say that, then we also have to say, all the talk about us being a Super Bowl team this year may be the stuff of dreams. Are we prepared to say that?

Well I for one am prepared to say that. Heck I'm just happy for a change that we would even be able to hear our name included in the conversation even if it means having a number of caveats along with it.

The o-line is my biggest concern over the long haul and no shortage of people in the media have said that very thing when discussing our possibility of making some noise. Not just because a stout o-line is usually an integral ingredient in general, but because it would seem that when you have a QB like Bledsoe it's even more crucial.

Beyond that, I admit some of my hesitancy to assume we were going to win is just my nature. Whether it's people in the organization, media or just other fans, if someone wants to suggest we're going to be better this year than last, I say.. Ok, now prove it on the field.

I dont care how many changes/adjustments you make on paper to supposedly get better over an off season. I'll believe they'll work when I actually see it happen. Not assume they'll work until it's proven otherwise.