Stuff I learned today

Creeper

Reaction score
The average American family spent about $2,200 in 2023 for gasoline, representing 4-5% of household income. By comparison, that same family spent about $1,500 in 2020
Can anyone explain why regular unleaded is about $1.25 per cheaper per gallon that premium. I understand the cracking process, but the difference in price is much great now than in the past. Or maybe it was always the same as a percentage and gas is just so expensive now?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
yes, close up you can't even breath, let alone smell.
We are about 10 baths in from tomato juice to peroxide concoctions and still get a strong aroma every so often. It seems to smell worse when he gets wet for some reason.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Can anyone explain why regular unleaded is about $1.25 per cheaper per gallon that premium. I understand the cracking process, but the difference in price is much great now than in the past. Or maybe it was always the same as a percentage and gas is just so expensive now?
The refining process for higher octane fuels requires a bit energy input (fuel) and, often, modern gasolines have more additives than in the past.

I couldn't find comprehensive data comparing historic regular and premium formulations, but from what I found it appears to be relatively the same percentage

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
We are about 10 baths in from tomato juice to peroxide concoctions and still get a strong aroma every so often. It seems to smell worse when he gets wet for some reason.

Yes had a dog that got sprayed years ago, same thing, multiple tomato baths final gave the the poor thing and us some relief.

For years afterward every time he got wet that smell would return.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Been watching a lot of YouTube and documentaries on early Judaic writings, eventually turned into Christian writings. Fascinating stuff.
  • Free App Tubi has a great 3 -part series on who actually wrote The New Testament. Learned a lot! Link.
  • 10 Oldest Old and New Testament text discovered. Link
  • Timeline of when Bible was written. Link
Learned so much don't know where to start. A lot of good stuff out there on YouTube.

paladin

Reaction score
If you do this... you eliminate your cars blind spots

Sit in your seat normally, adjust your rear view normally then...
Lean to the left and rest your head on the window. Adjust the driver's side view mirror so only a sliver of your car's side is visible from this position. Lean to the right toward the center console (the same distance) and set the passenger's side view mirror so you can barely see the side of your car from this position.

If you do this the moment a car leaves your rear view mirror.... you'll see it in your side view & the moment it leaves your side view mirror....you'll see it next to you.

Why did no one ever tell me this?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The allies in WW2 tricked the Germans about where they were going to cross the English channel for an invasion. They did so by feeding known spies misinformation. Plus, they placed a lot of fake, inflatable tanks, planes and other military equipment by the smallest part of the channel.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
If you do this... you eliminate your cars blind spots

Sit in your seat normally, adjust your rear view normally then...
Lean to the left and rest your head on the window. Adjust the driver's side view mirror so only a sliver of your car's side is visible from this position. Lean to the right toward the center console (the same distance) and set the passenger's side view mirror so you can barely see the side of your car from this position.

If you do this the moment a car leaves your rear view mirror.... you'll see it in your side view & the moment it leaves your side view mirror....you'll see it next to you.

Why did no one ever tell me this?
Problem with that is, if you drive a truck, you rely a lot on your mirrors for backing up. Also, you need to comfortably see the back of your vehicle to judge distances and objects. Probably not easy using your mirrors for backing up when you have to position yourself in an unnatural position.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Problem with that is, if you drive a truck, you rely a lot on your mirrors for backing up. Also, you need to comfortably see the back of your vehicle to judge distances and objects. Probably not easy using your mirrors for backing up when you have to position yourself in an unnatural position.
I have my mirrors positioned so that, from my natural seated position, I can just see the edge of my car (or my lumber truck), and if I need to see the ground near the back tires, just a little taller sitting up is enough. A lean forward eliminates the blind spot in my car, and the truck has convex mirrors on the doors and the front corners of the hood. The only blind spot is directly behind me.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I have my mirrors positioned so that, from my natural seated position, I can just see the edge of my car (or my lumber truck), and if I need to see the ground near the back tires, just a little taller sitting up is enough. A lean forward eliminates the blind spot in my car, and the truck has convex mirrors on the doors and the front corners of the hood. The only blind spot is directly behind me.
This is exactly how I like my mirrors in my F-150. :thumbup: