News: Sturm: Decoding McCarthy - Week 1

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We expected that the Cowboys offense would be under duress and trying to survive the chaos of a road atmosphere to win a divisional road game on Sunday Night. Instead, most of the 40-0 win against the New York Giants felt a lot like it was a dress rehearsal for what would await them down the road in 2023.

Dallas’ offense was able to play a stress-free contest that felt like they were passengers in this defensive demolition of the Giants morale and will. It was simply a matter of the offense not doing anything silly.

Because of our habit, we will examine the defense on Wednesday in this space, but, truth be told, they deserve to go first this week.

It certainly isn’t that the offense played badly, mind you. They did their part and with zero giveaways and five scoring drives (four of at least 50 yards) they have nothing to be ashamed about. We will show you in this piece a lot of things to like. But, there was no fireworks display that wowed the nation and no flexing offensive muscle that sent a message. It was a driving rainstorm at times and the game was over in the first quarter.

Read the rest: https://bobsturm.substack.com/p/decoding-mccarthy-week-1

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the rain there was no reason to get crazy.

But we need to finish drives and not kick so many FG's.
Three TD drives and two FG drives. That's a perfectly fine mix.

Edit: I was curious, so I looked it up. Leaguewide last year, offenses led 2140 scoring drives. 57.8% of those scores were TDs, the rest FGs. The Cowboys were at 60% Sunday. Seems just about right. The top teams in this ratio--PHI, KC, DET, CIN, BUF--were higher, up around 65-70%. But when you have 5 scores, it goes straight from 60% to 80%, and nobody averages close to 80%.

Last edited:

Mr_437

Reaction score
Finally an offense for the Cowboys that I like the play designs and the play calls. I think Dak and the offense will do well.

TheMightyVanHalen

Reaction score
We expected that the Cowboys offense would be under duress and trying to survive the chaos of a road atmosphere to win a divisional road game on Sunday Night. Instead, most of the 40-0 win against the New York Giants felt a lot like it was a dress rehearsal for what would await them down the road in 2023.

Dallas’ offense was able to play a stress-free contest that felt like they were passengers in this defensive demolition of the Giants morale and will. It was simply a matter of the offense not doing anything silly.

Because of our habit, we will examine the defense on Wednesday in this space, but, truth be told, they deserve to go first this week.

It certainly isn’t that the offense played badly, mind you. They did their part and with zero giveaways and five scoring drives (four of at least 50 yards) they have nothing to be ashamed about. We will show you in this piece a lot of things to like. But, there was no fireworks display that wowed the nation and no flexing offensive muscle that sent a message. It was a driving rainstorm at times and the game was over in the first quarter.

Read the rest: https://bobsturm.substack.com/p/decoding-mccarthy-week-1
We all know why some of the usuals are ragging on the offense. :rolleyes: We're winning the SB if the D keeps it up and the offense does what it did on Sunday night. The homer in me says we will and that's why I said COWBOYS 34 CHIEFS 20 in the SB.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Monday sports shows, the detractors used the output to brand the offense as nothing special. Yet weather and score meant nothing special was needed. Protect the lead and the ball. Risk as little as possible and allow the defense to eat the Giants' lunch.

I believe us fans need to be aware of this and aware the arguments by the talking heads are either to get under the skin of the fans or to support a season after season narrative (ahem SAS) which is shtick to get viewers.

Turn on the afterburners when needed. Else why waste them?

CCBoy

Reaction score
John Owning

@JohnOwning

EcP7zDea_mini.jpg

Steve Palazzolo

qbKpupVc_bigger.jpg

@PFF_Steve
·

Highest percentage of plays with a shift and/or motion:
49ers 82.3%
Dolphins 74.6%