News: Sullivan: For Many Reasons, Appreciate Jason Witten While You Still Can

CCBoy

Reaction score
Sullivan: For Many Reasons, Appreciate Jason Witten While You Still Can
Friday, August 12, 2016 12:40 PM CDT
screen_shot_2016-08-02_at_5.18.55_pm.png

By Jeff Sullivan

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...s-appreciate-jason-witten-while-you-still-can

For the first time in eight years, I didn’t interview Jason Witten at training camp this season. It’s not that he said no or there wasn’t time, I just decided not to. Instead, I observed and reflected.

In the summer of 2014, four of us traveled to Witten’s hometown of Elizabethton, Tenn., for his annual football camp. We were working on a documentary for the team’s Deep Blue series, which aired last August, and a lengthy feature story. One story from that four-day trip that stands out for me, more and more as time passes, took place the morning of the camp.

It was ridiculously early. The night before, college basketball coach Shaka Smart was the keynote speaker at a leadership dinner hosted by Witten’s foundation. Family, friends and former high school and college teammates were all in attendance, so guessing it was a somewhat late night.

Those I was with were television/camera folks, and they needed to set up lighting and all that good stuff. An hour or so after the sun came up in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, there was nothing for me to do, so I headed for the football field at the high school, named in honor of Witten’s grandfather, the legendary coach there...

jday

Reaction score
Me thinks he'll be on the coaching staff of the Cowboys before long...