News: Sullivan: Nearly Two Decades After His Playing Days; Haley Still Has Story to Tell

CCBoy

Reaction score
Sullivan: Nearly Two Decades After His Playing Days; Haley Still Has Story to Tell
Friday, November 04, 2016 10:56 AM CDT
screen_shot_2016-08-02_at_5.18.55_pm.png

By Jeff Sullivan

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...r-his-playing-days-haley-still-has-story-tell

Growing up, watching sports on television, the only two athletes I remember being intimidated by were Charles Haley and Charles Oakley. Even in the comfort of my home, those two kind of scared me.

I first spoke to Haley in 2010, and even though it was on the phone, I was immensely nervous. Like as much as any interview I’ve ever done. By that point, the majority of the stories from his playing days had surfaced and his dislike of the media was well known. We spoke for 20 minutes and he couldn’t have been any better. At the end of the call, he even asked me a question about his chances of being elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

I would see Haley here and there, around Valley Ranch, at training camp, we’d say hi on occasion. He was still intimidating, even with a slight limp, even in his 40s and now his 50s.

Haley should have been a first-ballot inductee into Canton, and every year I would write about the injustice of him not being honored. Not only was he the first to win five Super Bowls, but it’s been 20 years now and no one has equaled it. More than any sport, legacies in the NFL are about winning more than numbers. So why wasn’t Haley the most obvious of choices?

Finally, in 2015, his time came. A month or so before his induction in late-July, I sat with Haley at Valley Ranch for a little more than hour, talking about his life and career for a lengthy feature story which ran in this magazine and on the team’s website. As we were leaving the office where we spoke, I said how I was again nervous about the interview. Charles said, “Why would you be nervous? I’m just a country boy trying to make it in this world.”

Then he gave me a big hug. I remember walking down the hallway thinking about how we really don’t know people until we know them...

haleyrules

Reaction score
Haley was the man. He may have mellowed but l remember him as being a nasy bastid that no OL or QB wanted to play against. When he came to Dallas it was what made the difference between being close and winning the SB.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Beyond his skill set, Charles brought an attitude to that side of the ball that no other player has come close to for us since. Harvey Martin brought this same meanness and attitude. We are dangerously close to getting to the point now where we were when we obtained Charles. I hope we can bring someone in either by free agency or the draft that brings the fear and attitude that 94 and 79 brought.

haleyrules

Reaction score
This guy was my Lawrence Taylor for the Cowboys.

His scanning, pursuing and then mauling is a Clinical!
Yep. But meaner and nastier then Taylor...if that was possible. Taylor may have had an edge in talent...but players were down right afraid of Haley. He had no friends come Sunday and wasn't kissing or exchanging jerseys with anyone.

haleyrules

Reaction score
This guy was my Lawrence Taylor for the Cowboys.

His scanning, pursuing and then mauling is a Clinical!
Yep. But meaner and nastier then Taylor...if that was possible. Taylor may have had an edge in talent...but players were down right afraid of Haley. He had no friends come Sunday and wasn't kissing or exchanging jerseys with anyone.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Haley has some valuable lessons for many youngsters coming into the league nowadays. Many have issues that need counseling and Charles is just the one to deliver the message without beating around the bush in doing so. He's definitely been there and done that. He's definitely mellowed some since his playing days. Make no mistake -- that's a good thing, when it comes to counseling the youngsters. He's extremely honest with 'em.

Last edited:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

I really loved that he got to play in sbxxx. He was hurt part of the year/most of the year.
I really, really wanted ring #5 for him as much as I wanted 3 in 4 years.

I'm gonna punch Ronnie Lott in the head with my five rings!

CWR

Reaction score
Beyond his skill set, Charles brought an attitude to that side of the ball that no other player has come close to for us since. Harvey Martin brought this same meanness and attitude. We are dangerously close to getting to the point now where we were when we obtained Charles. I hope we can bring someone in either by free agency or the draft that brings the fear and attitude that 94 and 79 brought.

Ratliff was pretty mean for awhile, but Im not sure that wasnt just to his own team.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Haley has some valuable lessons for many youngsters coming into the league nowadays. Many have issues that need counseling and Charles is just the one to deliver the message without beating around the bush in doing so. He's definitely been there and done that. He's definitely mellowed some since his playing days. Make no mistake -- that's a good thing, when it comes to counseling the youngsters. He's extremely honest with 'em.

I hope that he is able to reach Gregory, and install both a deep anger and a respect for going the extra mile to stay clean and in the league.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I hope that he is able to reach Gregory, and install both a deep anger and a respect for going the extra mile to stay clean and in the league.

Couldn't agree more. Randy Gregory sorely needs to overcome his inclinations to use pot as a crutch to overcome his social anxiety issues. His strength must come from within, without resorting to anything that will only ruin his career and ultimately his life as well. He would be very wise to listen to Haley and anyone else who is honestly concerned with helping those who need to redirect their thinking and their misguided solutions to their personal issues. And yes, he should be angry with himself for failing to address solutions in the past that could have saved him from the plight that he now finds himself embroiled in. I hope he finds it within himself to change.