Superdome Evacuation Halted Amid Gunfire

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Superdome Evacuation Halted Amid Gunfire
Sep 01 9:30 AM US/Eastern
By MARY FOSTER
Associated Press Writer

The evacuation of the Superdome was suspended Thursday after shots were reported fired at a military helicopter and arson fires broke out outside the arena. No injuries were immediately reported.

The scene at the Superdome became increasingly chaotic, with thousands of people rushing from nearby hotels and other buildings, hoping to climb onto the buses taking evacuees from the arena, officials said. Paramedics became increasingly alarmed by the sight of people with guns.

Richard Zeuschlag, chief of the ambulance service that was handling the evacuation of sick and injured people from the Superdome, said it was suspending operations "until they gain control of the Superdome."

Shots were fired at a military helicopter over the Superdome before daybreak, he said.

He said the National Guard told him that it was sending 100 military police officers to restore order.

"That's not enough," said Zeuschlag, whose Acadian Ambulance is based in Lafayette. "We need a thousand."

Lt. Col. Pete Schneider of the Louisiana National Guard said the military _ which was handling the evacuation of the able-bodied from the Superdome _ had suspended operations, too, because fires set outside the arena were preventing buses from getting close enough to pick up people.

Tens of thousands of people started rushing out of other buildings when they saw buses pulling up and hoped to get on, he said. But the immediate focus was on evacuating people from the Superdome, and the other refugees were left to mill around.

Zeuschlag said paramedics were calling him and crying for help because they were so scared of people with guns at the Superdome. He also said that during the night, when a medical evacuation helicopter tried to land at a hospital in the outlying town of Kenner, the pilot reported 100 people were on the landing pad, some with guns.

"He was frightened and would not land," Zeuschlag.

Earlier Thursday, the first busload of survivors had arrived at the Houston Astrodome, where air conditioning, cots, food and showers awaited them.

"We are going to do everything we can to make people comfortable," Red Cross spokeswoman Margaret O'Brien-Molina said. "Places have to be found for these people. Many of these people may never be able to rebuild."

Astrodome officials said they would accept only the 25,000 people stranded at the Superdome _ a rule that was tested when a school bus arrived from New Orleans filled with families with children seeking shelter.

At first, Astrodome officials said the refugees couldn't come in, but then allowed them to enter for food and water. Another school bus also was allowed in.

The Astrodome is far from a hotel, but it was a step above the dank, sweltering Superdome, where the floodwaters were rising, the air conditioning was out, the ceiling leaked, trash piled up and toilets were broken.

Harris County Judge Robert Eckels said the 40-year-old Astrodome is "not suited well" for such a large crowd long-term, but officials are prepared to house the displaced as long as possible. New Orleans officials said residents may not be able to return for months.

The Astrodome's schedule has been cleared through December. The dome is used on occasion for corporate parties and hospitality events, but hasn't been used for professional sports in years.

In New Orleans, the refugees had lined up for the first buses, some inching along in wheelchairs, some carrying babies. Almost everyone carried a plastic bag or bundled bedspread holding the few possessions they had left. Many had no idea where they were heading.

"We tried to find out. We're pretty much adrift right now," said Cyril Ellisworth, 46. "We're pretty much adrift in life. They tell us to line up and go, and we just line up and go."

The Astrodome's new residents will be issued passes that will allow them to leave and return as they please, something that wasn't permitted in New Orleans. Organizers also plan to find ways to help the refugees contact relatives. ___

Associated Press writers Wendy Benjaminson in Baton Rouge, La., and Pam Easton in Houston contributed to this report.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just talked to a friend from Dallas and she says they've opened Reunion Arena and parts of the Dallas Convention Center. They're also doing what Houston is doing and is allowing open enrollment into the schools for kids.

Maybe some of these people can be re-routed to Dallas, as well. Houston is expected to take on at least 100k people when it's all said and done.

Just passing on info.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I live in a small town in NE Texas about 60 miles from Shreveport.

We have over 300 refugees here and are doing the same schoolwise...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I live in WV...we don't worry about schools. :p:

On a serious note....it seems that stuff is getting out of hand down there.

Have heard reports of people driving around in trucks with ak-47s and shooting people to get stuff.

Of people shooting AK47s into police stations.

It was reported a guy shot his OWN SISTER in the head over a bag of freaking ice.

It is being reported that it is getting common to see people walking around with guns.

I am thinking it is just a matter of time before Martial Law is enacted for that area.

Sad thing about it is that those doing that kind of thing is trumping the time given to those who are really going out of their way to help.

Saw a video of a man that was really tired and dehydrated but he was going back out with his little boat to get more people...just an average citizen there doing it out of the goodness of his heart and had been doing so all that day.

I saw police cars riding along the ramp/bridge to give lights to those others with boats carrying more people, as otherwise it was pitch dark.

This type of thing brings out the best and the worst in people...however for the most part it is the worst that seems to ruin it for the others doing good.

The LA police are just over swamped (no pun intended) down there right now.

They have people asking for food/water and shelter while they themselves as a whole are limited in what they have as well.

They have the LA gov telling the police to police up the looters and get that under control because it is getting so bad...instead of being free to try to help in other areas.

I seen Shep Smith, on fox news, saying they (him and some of his crew) had to stop some police because a FIVE DAY OLD baby was looking dehydrated, hot and sluggish.
People are forming human chains across the roads to try and stop the police.

Yet because of these looters (no not the people just taking food, drink, medicine, hygeine equipment and clothes) taking guns, breaking into peoples houses, shooting and robbing people....the police have to deal with those instead of trying to help the people.

I am surprised Martial Law has not started already but then again maybe they are waiting until they get enough military in the area before doing so.

Sad stuff across the board but then you see someone helping others and you realize there is some light in the darkness.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Martial law has already been imposed in NO.

I think most of this stems from who was left behind to ride out Katrina. Face it, the underbelly of society were the ones without the means to escape to a neighboring area.

I realize that some stayed to protect their property, others stayed for the "thrill", a few more were simply ignorant to the dangers faced, but a vast majority of those still in the city are not exactly adverse to illegal activity even in the best of times.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StanleySpadowski said:
Martial law has already been imposed in NO.

I think most of this stems from who was left behind to ride out Katrina. Face it, the underbelly of society were the ones without the means to escape to a neighboring area.

I realize that some stayed to protect their property, others stayed for the "thrill", a few more were simply ignorant to the dangers faced, but a vast majority of those still in the city are not exactly adverse to illegal activity even in the best of times.

Was it imposed today?

I have not heard about it previously.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
Was it imposed today?

I have not heard about it previously.

It was imposed the day after the storm hit, when the levees broke.

The problem isn't with the simple imposition of it, but rather the enforcement of it. I believe that looters may be shot on sight, but they do not want to kill someone simply scrounging for food and water in such a desperate situation.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StanleySpadowski said:
It was imposed the day after the storm hit, when the levees broke.

The problem isn't with the simple imposition of it, but rather the enforcement of it. I believe that looters may be shot on sight, but they do not want to kill someone simply scrounging for food and water in such a desperate situation.

I have not heard about it being opposed.

I was just guessing that they would wait until they got enough people (troops) before doing so.

You are correct about the idea of not shooting those getting food and items of that nature.

Heck I even saw a video of a cop pointing a shotgun at some people telling them to drop stuff that was not food related and then let them go.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
martial law

I guess technically it isn't "martial law" due to provisions of the LA Constitution, but media sources are referring to it as such.

It reads that it will last until 9/25 unless otherwise extended.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Memphis is finally getting off it's arse and helping. They are opening up 4 recently closed schools to use for shelters. Also an old sports arena. We have our old bball arena that could be used but it's been rented out to film a movie. I think this should come before a friggin movie.

edit: Also we are allowing the kids to enroll in school and not charging out of state fees for the college classes.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
StanleySpadowski said:
martial law

I guess technically it isn't "martial law" due to provisions of the LA Constitution, but media sources are referring to it as such.

It reads that it will last until 9/25 unless otherwise extended.

Thanks for the info. :cool:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It looks like I'll be helping up close and personal. My friend's WHOLE family from NO plus strangers showed up at her doorstep without anything. And there's more that are arriving from the places they first fled. So I'll be helping her help them get situated.

On a sad note, turns out they haven't heard from her brother and his family. She thinks he's still alive, because he's a deputy responsible for inmates (they should be part of the Superdome contention) but she's not sure about his wife and kids.

On a really sad note, her aunt, four cousins and their 14 combined children are believed to be dead. They decided to ride it out in the lower 9th ward which is all underwater, not just from the storm, but from the levees breaking as well. They didn't leave as of midnight before the storm hit. As a matter of fact, she said they were up watching DVDs at that time, believing that it wasn't gonna be that bad.

Anyway, I'll be gathering up info and clothes and doing whatever I can to help my friend get her relatives situated. Some of whom are seriously ill and low on medication.

Just a sad situation all around.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl said:
It looks like I'll be helping up close and personal. My friend's WHOLE family from NO plus strangers showed up at her doorstep without anything. And there's more that are arriving from the places they first fled. So I'll be helping her help them get situated.

On a sad note, turns out they haven't heard from her brother and his family. She thinks he's still alive, because he's a deputy responsible for inmates (they should be part of the Superdome contention) but she's not sure about his wife and kids.

On a really sad note, her aunt, four cousins and their 14 combined children are believed to be dead. They decided to ride it out in the lower 9th ward which is all underwater, not just from the storm, but from the levees breaking as well. They didn't leave as of midnight before the storm hit. As a matter of fact, she said they were up watching DVDs at that time, believing that it wasn't gonna be that bad.

Anyway, I'll be gathering up info and clothes and doing whatever I can to help my friend get her relatives situated. Some of whom are seriously ill and low on medication.

Just a sad situation all around.

Sorry to hear the terrible news.

I have some clothes I can send your way if you want.

Just PM me and I will give the sizes of the pants...they are not new but they are better then nothing.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
Sorry to hear the terrible news.

I have some clothes I can send your way if you want.

Just PM me and I will give the sizes of the pants...they are not new but they are better then nothing.
Thanks Brain. I should know more by tonight. We met for lunch today and she told me what's been going on with her family and it's pretty horrific and uplifting, if that makes any sense. You had to hear the whole story.

Anyway, she's gonna email me later with an update on needs and such. I'll have a better idea then. Because some of the strangers who arrived at her house have found other housing. I know we've got an 8 1/2 month pregnant lady that's prolly gonna deliver any day due to the stress and another one who has either a 5-week or 5-mo old bab, can't remember which one. But I'll keep you posted, once she tells me what she needs. Which is probably everything you can imagine.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Let us all know if we can help. I can't do much but maybe I can help a little.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister said:
Let us all know if we can help. I can't do much but maybe I can help a little.

Agreed and to be honest I would rather send some stuff to someone who can make sure to give it to those in need...at least I know people will get it that need it.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
Agreed and to be honest I would rather send some stuff to someone who can make sure to give it to those in need...at least I know people will get it that need it.
That's how I feel too Brain. It didn't even occur to me that her fam might need clothes and stuff. I was just gonna take some stuff over to Salvation Army or somewhere. So I told her that I would help her in whatever she needs. She's extremely stressed right now, because everyone from her elderly grandmothers to the babies are leaning on her.

Right now, she said they're trying to get as much gov't help as they can before seeing what they need to get on their own. But I imagine much of what she'll get from the gov't is related to housing, jobs, and medical help. The medical really needs to get taken care of. She's got some VERY sick people in her house and they have two weeks of meds left.

Thanks for the offer guys, I will definitely partake of your assistance as soon as I know something from her.

jem88

Reaction score
You know it's horrible to see what's going on down there. Looking at a photo online, it suddenly struck me that if I didn't better, I might think I was looking at an impoverished African country, what with the desperate mothers carrying frightened children amidst hellish conditions. Perhaps a positive outcome to all this is that I will give us a greater perspective on the kind of suffering that happens on a regular basis, elsewhere in the world. Nobody anywhere in the world should have to go through the kind of hell that the people in New Orleans and Mississippi are facing.