Supplemental Draft?

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
Does anybody know when the Supplemental Draft would be held? Also by when does someone have to apply to be in the supplemental draft?

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
i dont believe there is one set yet- those only occur if there are layers coming out that declared late,dropped out of school etc.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
Does anybody know when the Supplemental Draft would be held? Also by when does someone have to apply to be in the supplemental draft?
If one happens it will likely be in July before Camps begin.

There's a lot of speculation that with Norm Chwo gone Matt Leinart will sign with an agent and enter the Supplemental Draft. If so that one will have a lot of attention.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Hostile said:

There's a lot of speculation that with Norm Chwo gone Matt Leinart will sign with an agent and enter the Supplemental Draft. If so that one will have a lot of attention.

I would bet that Leinart doesn't come out for that. Supplemental picks hardly ever get the kind of money that they would have gotten in the regualr draft. He would take a huge hit in the pocket. At this point he is better off staying in school. Also, there was talk before the draft that if Leinhart had made any choices about the supplemental draft the 9ers would trade the top pick or draft Edwards and take Leinart in the Sup. But since he didn't indicate he would do that, they took Smith. SO I think there is very little chance of that happening. JMO.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Hostile said:

Leinart has expressly said he is not coming out.

However, teammate DT Manuel Wright might.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Stupid question

Can a player passed over n the regular draft also be in the supplemental draft? If so why isn't there one every year and why have only 7 rounds if your going to give them another chance in the supp draft? I don't have any clue on these answers is why I'm asking

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Stupid question

Can a player passed over n the regular draft also be in the supplemental draft? If so why isn't there one every year and why have only 7 rounds if your going to give them another chance in the supp draft? I don't have any clue on these answers is why I'm asking

Sometimes a player has a financial hardship, problems with grades, gets kicked off his team or simply just missed the underclassman declaration date for the original draft. The only real rule that exists is that the player be a certain number of years removed from their high school class graduating.

For example, Leinart could have easily decided to skip the April draft and do the supplemental if he was not happy with what happened after Chow left for Tennessee.