Supplemental Draft?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Supplemental Draft
In late summer, the NFL also holds a Supplemental Draft to accommodate players who did not enter the regular draft because they thought they still had academic eligibility to play college football. Draft order is determined by a weighted system that is divided into three groupings. First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the 12 playoff teams. In the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft. (For example, RB Tony Hollings was taken by the Houston Texans in the second round of the Supplemental Draft in 2003; thus, in the 2004 NFL Draft, the Texans forfeited a second-round pick.)

The 1985 Supplemental Draft was particularly controversial. Bernie Kosar of the University of Miami earned his academic degree a year early but did not enter the regular draft that year. Rather than finish his eligibility at Miami, he entered into talks with his favorite team, the Cleveland Browns. They advised Kosar to delay his professional eligibility until after the regular draft. They then traded for the right to choose first in the Supplemental Draft. This angered many clubs, notably the Minnesota Vikings and New York Giants, who had expressed interest in choosing him in that season's regular draft. Many of today's Supplemental Draft rules aim at preventing a recurrence of this incident.

As of 2006, players who enter the Supplemental Draft usually are graded as players who should be drafted at a later round, or who have college eligibility problems (poor academic or discipline issues). Only 34 players have been taken since the NFL instituted the Supplemental Draft in 1977.

Now for my question does anyone know who may be in the supplemental draft this year?

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1485600 said:
I hear Quinn wants to re-enter so he can be the first person taken.

:laugh1: Turn your ear pieces up.

burmafrd

Reaction score
How did that Virginia LB, Brooks do, who was picked in the Supp Draft last year? There were a couple here really deeply in love with him.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
burmafrd;1485740 said:
How did that Virginia LB, Brooks do, who was picked in the Supp Draft last year? There were a couple here really deeply in love with him.

He was drafted by the Bengals... he's probably in jail.

joseephuss

Reaction score
peplaw06;1485750 said:
He was drafted by the Bengals... he's probably in jail.

I don't know about jail, but I do believe he was suspended for a few games.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd;1485740 said:

he didn't do much but flash potential

Hailmary

Reaction score
Will McFadden be 3 years removed from HS by the time the supplemental draft rolls around?

If so and he declares (highly unlikely), would we be able to use Cleveland's pick on him?

joseephuss

Reaction score
Hostile;1485856 said:
No, he wasn't suspended, but he did not play in 5 during the season, at different points in the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=8006

I don't think any players would be in a Supplemental Draft this year at this point. That could change of course.

I was confusing him with Odell Thurman who was suspended. The Bengals have so many guys in trouble, I can't keep track of them all.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
With a few exceptions the Supplemental draft has usually been reserved for special cases like bad academics, players who were kicked off their teams for various infractions and so on. Every now and again you would see a Bernie Kosar, but that was fairly rare.

With the new emphasis on character, I think this becomes even less of a factor and eventually fades away.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
With the potential for the Cowboys trading up in the 2008 draft, we need all the picks we can get. No Sup draft for us.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1486353 said:
With the potential for the Cowboys trading up in the 2008 draft, we need all the picks we can get. No Sup draft for us.

Right on .....

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Character concerns are the biggest problem with any supplemental choice. The only other scenarios that I could think of are if a coach leaves really late and a player feels somehow betrayed by the school and wants out or if a player returned for his senior year for a shot at a conference or national championship but something happens to other players on the team and those hopes are pretty much dashed so he'd decide to declare.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Hailmary;1485872 said:
Will McFadden be 3 years removed from HS by the time the supplemental draft rolls around?

If so and he declares (highly unlikely), would we be able to use Cleveland's pick on him?

The team doesn't get to choose which pick. They lose their pick.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;1486493 said:
The team doesn't get to choose which pick. They lose their pick.

First come the teams that had six or fewer wins last season, followed by non-playoff teams that had more than six wins, followed by the 12 playoff teams. In the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft. (For example, RB Tony Hollings was taken by the Houston Texans in the second round of the Supplemental Draft in 2003; thus, in the 2004 NFL Draft, the Texans forfeited a second-round pick.)