Surely there are a lot of Texas fans here, so....

Bobo

Reaction score
what do you think about Rodrique Wright? I've heard some say he's overrated. I'd like to hear views from Texas fans since they should have the most knowledge on him....as long as there's no homerism :p

Of all the needs, I'm kinda thinking it's a battle between CB and DT for biggest need. So Rolle or Wright are looking right ;)

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
He's probably the most gifted defensive lineman in the country, but he's still very young and raw and is by no means a finished product. Its doubtfull to me that he could step right into the NFL as an everydown player next year. However, in 5 years he could be an All Pro. The Cowboys and the fans would have to show some patience with him like the Jets showed with Dewayne Robertson last year.

Bobo

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I guess what also has to be weighed here is what FA's will be avaliable to sign, but I don't know if there are any big time DT's avaliable.

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
I think he will play his senior year and not come out. This has been the pattern at UT of late.

Bobo

Reaction score
Isn't Hawthorne a little small like Glover? Not saying that wouldn't work, but it seems to be a trend to have one huge run stuffer in the middle.

Kevin Carter may not be a Titan next year due to the cap, he could be a pickup for the Boys. He is smaller, 290 lbs, but very quick.

Put Henson In

Reaction score
Rod's a beast, and a top 5 pick. However his linemate Frank Okam will be a top 3 pick in 08. He is that dang good.

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
Put Henson In said:
Rod's a beast, and a top 5 pick. However his linemate Frank Okam will be a top 3 pick in 08. He is that dang good.

Okam is a very pleasant surprise. Dibbles has looked good as well.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think Wright is very good but I'm not sure he's as good as some may think. This may be due to conditioning. I read an article from Robinson that said the Horn's defense, as a whole, was soft. He said both mentally and physically, there would have to be a lot of conditioning work that would have to go into our defense to turn them into a truely great unit. Also said that talent is not the issue. This, to me, suggests that the raw ability for guys like Wright and others are there but they need to put in the work. This actually rings true to me. Wright has been nicked up this year since the spring but even so, I've seen Wright, disapear in quarters. I just think that he needs to put in the work to become great. Right now, I don't think he's the best DT in college football.

T-New41

Shut 'em Down
Reaction score
Actually Texas Defense has been pretty fricken good this year. Not too many teams have had sucess against them (OU scored 13) and besides the 1st half of the OSU game, the Texas Defense has been crushing opponents.

Greg Williams has done a great job making the Texas Defense respectable (especially compared to last year) I have seen most of Texas games this year and the person I want most is Derrick Johnson. As was mentioned above, the player that has impressd me more than Wright is the true freshman Okam. That dude is a freak.

Put Henson In

Reaction score
Greg Robinson is our D-coordinator not Commanders coach greg williams. Rod is good, real good.

T-New41

Shut 'em Down
Reaction score
Put Henson In said:
Greg Robinson is our D-coordinator not Commanders coach greg williams. Rod is good, real good.

I was thinking Robinson and wrote Williams :eek:

Midswat

Benched
Reaction score
I've heard he's overrated as well . . .

But our defense is desperate for a DT.

I wish we drafted Kevin Williams over Terrance Newman.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bobo said:
Isn't Hawthorne a little small like Glover? Not saying that wouldn't work, but it seems to be a trend to have one huge run stuffer in the middle.

Kevin Carter may not be a Titan next year due to the cap, he could be a pickup for the Boys. He is smaller, 290 lbs, but very quick.
Hawthorne is not small at all. You could sell advertising across his back. His stock has dropped a little so far this season. I'd love it if he dropped to us in the 2nd and we stole two blue cippers in the 1st.

Bobo

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Hawthorne is not small at all. You could sell advertising across his back. His stock has dropped a little so far this season. I'd love it if he dropped to us in the 2nd and we stole two blue cippers in the 1st.

I say small because I saw him listed as 6-3, 295, which isn't really big. But he could be 6-5, 320 at the combine....or 6-1 285 lol