T Anthony Davis

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've been keeping an eye on the situation with tackle/guard Antjony Davis and the 49'ers and I can't help but feel an opportunity exists for the Cowboys. Given Doug Free's struggles, and contract crossroads, I think right tackle can be upgraded and settled for the long term. While we all hope Chaz Green can one day fill that role, he's still working on becoming an adequate swing tackle.

I think that many would agree that right tackle is this otherwise stellar offensive line's weakest link. And a trade for Davis could upgrade it and secure the position until 2020, the end of Davis' contract. It's obvious that there is a rift between him and the team and I think it would be in both parties' best interest to part ways and I think it will happen. If and when it does, I'd like to see Dallas be the team to acquire him. If not, I can see a team like Philadelphia make a move to plan for the future and eventual retirement of Jason Peters, or as a fill-in if Lane Johnson is suspended. I'd rather it be us.

Considering his contract, I think the salary numbers make good sense if you're solidifying your right tackle position for several years:

4/5/2013: Signed a seven-year, $39.67 million contract. The deal contains $17 million guaranteed, including a $7.5 million signing bonus and $2.1 million of Davis' 2016 salary. 2016: $2.65 million (+ $ 1 million roster bonus), 2017: $4 million (+ $1 million roster bonus), 2018-2019: $5.375 million (+ $1 million roster bonus), 2020: Free Agent

John813

Reaction score
Hey if ole Chip wants to help us out I'm down for it.

BoysWin

Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye on the situation with tackle/guard Antjony Davis and the 49'ers and I can't help but feel an opportunity exists for the Cowboys. Given Doug Free's struggles, and contract crossroads, I think right tackle can be upgraded and settled for the long term. While we all hope Chaz Green can one day fill that role, he's still working on becoming an adequate swing tackle.

I think that many would agree that right tackle is this otherwise stellar offensive line's weakest link. And a trade for Davis could upgrade it and secure the position until 2020, the end of Davis' contract. It's obvious that there is a rift between him and the team and I think it would be in both parties' best interest to part ways and I think it will happen. If and when it does, I'd like to see Dallas be the team to acquire him. If not, I can see a team like Philadelphia make a move to plan for the future and eventual retirement of Jason Peters, or as a fill-in if Lane Johnson is suspended. I'd rather it be us.

Considering his contract, I think the salary numbers make good sense if you're solidifying your right tackle position for several years:

4/5/2013: Signed a seven-year, $39.67 million contract. The deal contains $17 million guaranteed, including a $7.5 million signing bonus and $2.1 million of Davis' 2016 salary. 2016: $2.65 million (+ $ 1 million roster bonus), 2017: $4 million (+ $1 million roster bonus), 2018-2019: $5.375 million (+ $1 million roster bonus), 2020: Free Agent

Get 'r done. I approve of this message.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
considering he could easily decide to retire at the end of any season, since he has already, he's a progress stopper imo.

Sydla

Reaction score
Every time someone suggests that the Cowboys should look at this vet or that vet, the battle cry from the FO defenders is, "He's a progress stopper". It has to be the new catch phrase of CZ.

In fact, I am considering asking the board ops here to let me change my name to ProgressStopper.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
considering he could easily decide to retire at the end of any season, since he has already, he's a progress stopper imo.

Whose "progress" would he in fact, be "stopping"? Do you think Doug Free has yet to reach his ceiling?

I heard that same term with regard to this team's defensive ends, half of whom have been hurt or cut.

In my opinion, his 'retirement' has everything to do with wanting out of San Francisco and away from Trent Baalke, who he's already called out for being difficult on several occasions.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Every time someone suggests that the Cowboys should look at this vet or that vet, the battle cry from the FO defenders is, "He's a progress stopper". It has to be the new catch phrase of CZ.

In fact, I am considering asking the board ops here to let me change my name to ProgressStopper.
Im way more worried about process stoppers then progress stoppers.

We seriously need to do something about that

haleyrules

Reaction score
Lets hope ole Chip rips the 49ers apart also. They are close to the hated Eagles for me. Is Davis another used up retread or does he have something real to offer?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Whose "progress" would he in fact, be "stopping"? Do you think Doug Free has yet to reach his ceiling?

No...Chad Green's...

I heard that same term with regard to this team's defensive ends, half of whom have been hurt or cut.

I don't see why, we don't have any real prospects there. Whether you like Green or not, we thought enough of him to take him in the third, unless you count Gregory, we don't have anyone on the bench that was drafted as high. Besides, OT depth is not comparable to DE depth. Even if you have elite DEs, you still rotate them out at least some, so you could still get playing time to a young player. Not the case with OTs, you typically don't rotate them.

In my opinion, his 'retirement' has everything to do with wanting out of San Francisco and away from Trent Baalke, who he's already called out for being difficult on several occasions.

Maybe, he never really tried to force a trade, and there's no guarantee, he'd find our front office more appealing to work with than theirs. Would much rather go with Green *if* we replace Free than Davis who will likely want a new deal and would cost a draft pick (maybe multiple) to get from SF.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Davis is a bit of a flake. He was when he played at Rutgers. I don't know how committed he is to football - he already "retired" once.

In between, he had four solid years where he didn't miss a game.

Plankton

Reaction score
In between, he had four solid years where he didn't miss a game.

That, to me, isn't a factor. He retired prior to last season, says he wants to come back, and then reportedly was ready to quit again prior to the opener before coming back. I don't trust his commitment or his personality. Believe me, I would love to replace Doug Free, but not with this guy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That, to me, isn't a factor. He retired prior to last season, says he wants to come back, and then reportedly was ready to quit again prior to the opener before coming back. I don't trust his commitment or his personality. Believe me, I would love to replace Doug Free, but not with this guy.

Fair enough, but I think his frustration lies with Baalke and the 49'ers and not with football.

John813

Reaction score
Probably played a role, however, but maybe the guy just really wants to play it safe for his long term healthy. Maybe the hit that gave him a concussion wasn't a big hit, and he thought he would be concussion prone if he kept on playing.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Probably played a role, however, but maybe the guy just really wants to play it safe for his long term healthy. Maybe the hit that gave him a concussion wasn't a big hit, and he thought he would be concussion prone if he kept on playing.

If so, good for him. Laurent Robinson got to the point where he couldn't remember his own kid's name before he hung it up. There are far more important things than football.