T.O. Contract Question

rickwil61

Reaction score
I don't mean to be the pessimist but for the sake of discussion let's assume that T.O. resorts back to his old tricks this season and starts hurting the team. It seems that I recall that his contract was structured in such a way as to protect the Cowboys if the relationship doesn't work out. How bad of a skinning do the Cowboys take financially if they cut him either during or after one season? I've tried to reserve judgement about T.O. because I know that the guy can play and I think he can help this team if he chooses to really be a part of it. I've been hopeful that he may have learned something after his experience in Philly. But missing or being late for meetings and missing a rehab session is starting to concern me and I'm just wondering if the old T.O. attitude is starting to raise its head. http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2562846

parchy

Reaction score
I'm not sure as to the exact incentives implanted within the contract, but I'm pretty sure the Cowboys would be penalized at least the total sum of his signing bonus if they cut him, which was $5 million.

Kittymama

Benched
Reaction score
They can cut him prior to the start of the season with no penalty. Once the season starts & he's on the roster, they become liable for the $5 million.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
We had a 5 page thread on this very subject earlier today.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61774

If we cut him after this season but before he gets any roster bonus he will cost $3.33 mil on next years cap for his accelerated signing bonus. I'm not sure what if any roster bonuses are in his contract for next year.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Kittymama said:
They can cut him prior to the start of the season with no penalty. Once the season starts & he's on the roster, they become liable for the $5 million.
As far as salary goes that is correct. But we will be on the hook for his $5 mil signing bonus anyway and if we cut him it will all hit this years cap.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Kittymama said:

I wish this guy would do the right thing, becuase he could help us a great deal.

But, his BS is starting to wear on me and I try to be very positive and optimistic!

:bang2:

hmcorp

Reaction score
the right thing?

are you people seriously NOT LIstening to BIll or Jerry.

What have bill and Jerry said? what have they maintained constantly.

He is injured. we want him better. that is all.

nothing else. you guys ALL sound like the media. LISTEN TO WHAT BILL SAYS. It doenst mean he isnt frustrated. It just means he isnt going to say this guy doesnt care. He says he DOES Care. He said he HAS BEEN TO every meeting and every session for the playbook. THats what BILL said.

He missed the meeting BEFORE A GAME? Quite possibly with BILL KNOWING ABOUT IT but he had to be fined because as JERRY SAID this is TEAM PROCESS STUFF...the most important thing is that he GETS BETTER!!!

Seriously think about it...BILL TALKED TO A TRAINER ABOUT GETTING BACK TO PRACTICE??? HE ASKED HIM???

slow down and THINK about it for more than three seconds.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
I loved it when we signed TO because I thought maybe he had turned the corner and decided his tactics in the past weren't good. I thought he was a key piece to us getting back to the SB. But, I guess a leopard can't change it's spots, or as TO would put it, a rat is a rat is a rat.

If he is injured, that's one thing. But, his injury shouldn't keep him from attending team meetings and certainly shouldn't cause him to miss or arrive late to a rehab session. This wreaks of insubordination just to see how far he can push it.