Taking the Romo approach with Stanback?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I've been as inpatient as anyone to see Stanback on the field, I was actually cheering his special team play last night, which got some wierd looks and a couple of people asking me, "Who is that?".

But, I do see a kind of wisdom in bringing him along slowly, much like we did with Romo. Granted, I think it's important that he contributes on special teams as much as possible, but I've decided I'm willing to wait it out to see him as a receiver. Rushing Matt Jones in there didn't help the Jaguars, they just ruined his confidence.

I'm still hoping to see the guy run a few routes, but for now, I'll definitely settle for kick returns. It was nice to actually see a guy not run straight into piles of people for a change.

miamicowboy21

Reaction score
I was happy with stanback last night. No hesitation on those returns. He set us up in great postion a couple of times. Hopefully he can get in the WR mix soon.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
isn't potential great? gives us fans something to look foreword to every year

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Why are there three times as many threads about Stanback as there are about the OL, who were absolutely dominant last night?

Ah, the over-fascination with the WR position continues.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
TheCount;1746822 said:
I've been as inpatient as anyone to see Stanback on the field, I was actually cheering his special team play last night, which got some wierd looks and a couple of people asking me, "Who is that?".

But, I do see a kind of wisdom in bringing him along slowly, much like we did with Romo. Granted, I think it's important that he contributes on special teams as much as possible, but I've decided I'm willing to wait it out to see him as a receiver.

I hear ya... but a QB and project WR is just two different worlds.
You can probably get down WR in alot less time than QB.

We can afford to throw in there once and while to give him a little taste... like last night. Another week or two and he will be catching slant passes from Tony Rommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmooooooooooooooo

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1746866 said:
Why are there three times as many threads about Stanback as there are about the OL, who were absolutely dominant last night?

I don't have a problem with people talking WR or Stanback but you are right the O-line dominated last night. I think this group is starting to mesh with one another. O-line is not about 5 individuals it is about 5 guys up front coming together as 1 unit and I'm starting to see that.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Doomsday101;1746875 said:
I don't have a problem with people talking WR or Stanback but you are right the O-line dominated last night. I think this group is starting to mesh with one another. O-line is not about 5 individuals it is about 5 guys up front coming together as 1 unit and I'm starting to see that.

Given the domination of the OL, I'm not sure that the Cowboys used three WRs very often last night. Difficult to tell watching on television, but that's my guess.

If I'm correct, it'd mean that there were fewer opportunities to get Stanback into the game.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;1746866 said:

Because it's much more interesting to watch a WR with the ball than it is to watch an OL make a great block.

I agree that WRs are overvalued, but there's no mystery as to why they get their attention. There's not much in football more exciting to watch than a long RAC or an acrobatic catch that ends in 6 points.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Idgit;1746976 said:
Because it's much more interesting to watch a WR with the ball than it is to watch an OL make a great block.

I agree that WRs are overvalued, but there's no mystery as to why they get their attention. There's not much in football more exciting to watch than a long RAC or an acrobatic catch that ends in 6 points.

True but when you stop and think that Philly ranked 3rd in the NFL in sacks yet did not record a single sack on the night that is impressive.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
Idgit;1746976 said:

Some of those Flozell blocks were pretty fun to watch. I enjoy seeing DEs get manhandled as much as a TD sometimes...probably in the minority tho.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
YoMick;1746873 said:
I hear ya... but a QB and project WR is just two different worlds.
You can probably get down WR in alot less time than QB.

We can afford to throw in there once and while to give him a little taste... like last night. Another week or two and he will be catching slant passes from Tony Rommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmooooooooooooooo

Oh, I absolutely agree. You obviously have a lot more invested in a QB project than a WR project. I'm not saying it should take 4 years to see the guy on the field, I'm just saying I was probably wrong on insisting to see the guy from day one.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1746866 said:

They don't like being talked about anyway. They obviously did well last night, although I still think the run blocking could be better. Flo and Colombo played very well, just like the needed to and will need to next week. And of course Colombo always gets props for being the one of the first ones in a fight to defend his guy.

How those idiots could think to start a fight with Columbo and Bigg Davis around is beyond me.