"Tale of the Tape" with Brice Butler

T-RO

Reaction score
In re-watching a fair bit of last season I sure am increasingly down on zone coverage. The Lions were defending third and 14 and yet Brice was wide open on a simple route...all due to zone assignment issues.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Zone for the most part is meant to deny big plays. Sound zone may let a catch happen but it supposed limit anything after the catch.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
In re-watching a fair bit of last season I sure am increasingly down on zone coverage. The Lions were defending third and 14 and yet Brice was wide open on a simple route...all due to zone assignment issues.

Certain routes beat certain coverages. The post vs cover 2 for example. That is why athletic S and CB are so critical to mitigate the soft spots.

Linehan does a good job calling plays to exploit zone coverage.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The Lions were starting elite talent like Johnson Bademosi and Nevin Lawson in that game.

Go Brice. Get on with your bad self.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I would not use that game by the Lions to indict the coverage due they were pretty beaten up. But I get the hesitation about zone.

You have to have the right players with the right instincts. You have players who don't have anticipation and/or have problems with mental assignments and precision, there can be plays like that.