Tamba Hali at OLB?

proline

Reaction score
Since there is some question whether Hali has the size to play DE in the NFL, does anyone see him becoming a 3-4 OLB? His pro-day 40 was 4.87 which is a little slow, but everyone says he has a good motor and with his size he might be better suited to playing the strong side OLB than Lawson.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
that sounds a little slow for a 3-4 OLB...or any OLB for that matter. but his game speed could be good

ddh33

Reaction score
I'm not sure I like the fit. I worry about his lack of speed and agility, and I think there are players in this draft would be better fits.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Not likely he will be drafted in the 3/4. He played DT in College but will make and excellent 4/3 DE selection for someone that runs that DEfense.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
His mobility and flexibility is not good for OLB. He will be a solid 4-3 end.

MiStar

Reaction score
I think that he'd be fine at OLB, but he doesn't want to be moved to linebacker, so it's kind of a moot point.

lkelly

Reaction score
I think he could survive at OLB, but he'd be better in a Derrick Burgess type role in a defense like Philly's. He's a better athlete than his pro-day measurements would lead you to think. And his stint at DT was driven only by a lack of talent at that position. He really blossomed once he was moved back to DE.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
If we surprise a lot of Cowboy fans by not taking an OLB in the first 2 rounds the tweener that I've got an eye on in the third is Stanley McClover from Auburn.

marchetta

Reaction score
Tamba Hali DE Penn St

Strengths
Tamba is a very strong player with a very good burst off the line of scrimmage. He is a dominating player; he takes on a double team and blows it up very easily. He has good pass rushing moves and understands how to set up the RT so that he can get a sack at an impact time of the game. Tamba uses his hands very well and never seems to let a block into his body or at his feet. He reminds me a lot of Charles Haley (DE - 49ers, Cowboys).

Needs to Improve
I could nitpick and say I wish he were taller or his arms were a little longer or I didn’t have to work for a living -- but what’s the use? All of that means nothing. The kid is a hell of a football player and I’m going to have to keep on working for a living!

Bottom Line
Back in the 80’s, there was a player that played for the 49ers. He was one nasty SOB. If he made a great play and one of his own teammates hit him on the back and said, "Great play, Old Charlie!", he'd tell his own teammate to shut the hell up and get back on the ball. He was strong, never off balance, had a great burst and would tackle a train if it tried to come around his end. I've never seen a DE handle a double team better than Charles Haley until maybe now. Tamba has the same natural hand strength and body strength that Charles had. Now I’m not saying that Tamba is a nasty player, but I am saying that on the field, he dominates and overpowers his man and makes the players around him better. Charles was a hard player for some coaches to handle, but Tamba looks to be an excellent teammate and you can just sense the respect the coaches have for this kid on the field. Tamba is going to be an excellent strong side DE for the team that drafts him. He is quick off the line, has excellent overall natural body strength, has very strong hands, is smart and has only played DE in college for one year. As soon as he learns a few more tricks, this kid is going to be a fan favorite and a core player for his team. In my opinion, he is a top ten player in this draft. Some of the juniors will come out and force him back into a top 15 player, but I can’t see him dropping further than that. He's a player that you should be able to plug into your line up right away.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
proline said:
Since there is some question whether Hali has the size to play DE in the NFL, does anyone see him becoming a 3-4 OLB? His pro-day 40 was 4.87 which is a little slow, but everyone says he has a good motor and with his size he might be better suited to playing the strong side OLB than Lawson.

size is fine...but this guy would be lost playing in space

probably doomed to be a apot role player at best in te NFL

David

Reigle9

Reaction score
First off, I've watched every game Tamba Hali has ever played. My only conclusion for someone saying he isn't very bright, is that they are an OSU fan. He is definitely a DE, the person that mentioned him being a DT is just wrong. I'm not sure about the OLB in a 3-4 thing, I think he's a pass rushing DE in a 4-3. The person that mentioned his motor is correct, and for that reason alone, I think he'll be more than a "role" player. He has great technique and will never take a play off.

I don't think he fits in with the Cowboys, but I don't want to see him in the division either.

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
He's not the birghtest bulb either...

That's simply inaccurate. He's pretty sharp -- speaks multiple languages.... I haven't seen a Wonderlic score for him but even if it was low you have to remember that it must be judged with a curve due to the ESL deal.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I think people make way too much of the playing in space stuff. Parcells has said the biggest adjustment is mental, because the transition requires the player to adjust his assignment to formations and motion for the very first time in their career. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see us select our LOLB and see people pulling their hair out about "This guys not a OLB !!!".

Hali might be the hardest worker of any player in the draft, and his father who escaped Liberia is a physics and chemestry professor. I've seen no evidence that he's a dumb player.