Tampa Bay game on, Defense has really improved

LarryCanadian

Reaction score
I have to say that during that game and since the Defense started to resemble what most expected with the high number of early draft picks and talent assembled. Even the Giants game, the defense wasn't that bad and fought. Go back and watch how often we gave to NY the ball in our end and just ended up giving too many opportunities by not being able to get any sustained drives or field position.

I still feel that this team is far more effective playing a non-zone scheme with a more aggresive man to man and jamming at the line style. I think our players are more suited to it, and I think that while we might give up a few bigger plays that way, I think we force more turnovers and missed plays to other teams, and actually dictate the game instead of having it dictated to us.

It really is a shame we couldn't finish off that Steelers game. So close yet so far. Our defense was incredible for 53 or so minutes. I still don't know what happened. Did we go prevent zone? Couple of stupid little penalties didn't help. We had 8 passes defensed and 5 sacks. Couple of forced fumbles. A goalline stand. Steelers averaged darn good starting field position too (this is something our D has been facing all year). We finish out the Steelers game and our Defense has made a huge statement. They made one, but it just isn't as loud. They outplayed Steeler D for most of that game. Finish it out and we actually worry a few teams. Oh well, if they use it to grow from, we can still get there.

I think the defense has grown. The pressure is better. They are finally allowing both Bradie James and Zach Thomas to get to tackles more cleanly. They are making plays as a result. Spencer seems hungrier and more dynamic than Ellis now. The db's are solid when playing aggresive. Safety has been hammered by injury but is gutting it out.

I really hope we can make it in the back door to playoffs as I think this D is still getting better. It should get better. It has the talent, now keep scheming so that they play to strengths and don't go prevent, hehe.

LarryCanadian

Don Corleone

Reaction score
The defense is playing playoff caliber football right now. The offense and special teams? Not so much.