Tampa Bay To Lose Kiffen...

Reaction score
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports that Bucs defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin is considering leaving Tampa to run the defense at the University of Tennessee.

Monte's son Lane will be introduced as the Vols' new head coach on Monday; Saturday was Philip Fulmer's final game on the UT sidelines. If Kiffin leaves the Bucs, the Bucs are expected to pursue Rod Marinelli to run their defense after the Lions fire him. The hitch on Monte departing Tampa Bay is that he's under contract. The Bucs extended him just last year.

newlander

Reaction score
Good all the way around. He gets to coach with his son and the Bucs get weaker. Monte's been propping up Gruden for years IMO. Marinelli is an idiot BTW: he's proven that in Detroit; not just with his coaching, but his actions and comments during press conferences. The guy is a loon.......

Reaction score
newlander;2452478 said:
Good all the way around. He gets to coach with his son and the Bucs get weaker. Monte's been propping up Gruden for years IMO. Marinelli is an idiot BTW: he's proven that in Detroit; not just with his coaching, but his actions and comments during press conferences. The guy is a loon.......

I can see Marinelli coming back to TB after being pooped-canned by Detroit.

newlander

Reaction score
No argument Pick6, I'm just saying Marinelli is certifiable: that's all.

dmoore

Reaction score
That would be great for Tennessee. I wasn't sold on the Kiffen hiring (I thought Kelly at Cincy was a better choice), but he's going to recruit and they'll be a force. Now with Monte Kiffen handling the defense, they'll be great. Monte could've easily been a head coach by now, which leads me to believe that he just has a passion for coaching defense. He's better than Gruden.